What do YOU bring to a new RoG world?

LadyMeda

What a wonderful topic subject and such interesting answers. This is the best topic I've seen in weeks now. Thank you, Lady Meda, and all participants!

From my point of view world hopping is THE way to play when you've played as many hours as I have now. I also play on the hardest settings and with Farnsworth's Can't Live Forever mod enabled, just to make life interesting and difficult. :-)

When I arrive in the new world I don't settle down for 3 or 4 days til I like what I see and then I settle in for around 100 days before I've explored enough and get bored and want to move on.

By then accumulating enough important stuff to make full stacks for the next world can be quite easy, I've found, but I ham-string myself from some valuable resource collecting as I never go down to the caves. I have a real-life phobia that stops me dead in my tracks whenever I try. I got a lot of new ideas from this topic, though, so perhaps I'll stick around for 150 days in my next world.

Now, if someone can tell me how to overcome my phobia of caves and things that drop from above  .........   ::shudder::

What a wonderful topic subject and such interesting answers. This is the best topic I've seen in weeks now. Thank you, Lady Meda, and all participants!

From my point of view world hopping is THE way to play when you've played as many hours as I have now. I also play on the hardest settings and with Farnsworth's Can't Live Forever mod enabled, just to make life interesting and difficult. :-)

When I arrive in the new world I don't settle down for 3 or 4 days til I like what I see and then I settle in for around 100 days before I've explored enough and get bored and want to move on.

By then accumulating enough important stuff to make full stacks for the next world can be quite easy, I've found, but I ham-string myself from some valuable resource collecting as I never go down to the caves. I have a real-life phobia that stops me dead in my tracks whenever I try. I got a lot of new ideas from this topic, though, so perhaps I'll stick around for 150 days in my next world.

Now, if someone can tell me how to overcome my phobia of caves and things that drop from above  .........   ::shudder::

Yes, give a like to our OP Lady Meda if you haven't done yet everybody! (I'm at quota ATM, so remind me about this tomorrow also.) 

Regarding your phobia:

One of the best ways is Desensitization. Another thing I would strongly recommend if this isn't enough is finding a certified professional trained in overcoming phobias. It really helps! 

Well, the first cave level doesn't actually have anything mobs that drop from above.  That's the ruins.  The earthquake stuff is just an annoyance.  I'd suggest going at it with either Maxwell or Wigfrid first.  Maxwell completely negates the sanity drain, and Wigfrid, with a couple planted spider dens, can replenish her sanity fairly easy.  In the beginning, stick with fall cave-diving.  Much Simpler.  Then Spring (though I'd suggest spending enough time above ground for the G'Goose to hatch Moslings, and then kill them for max-downage).  After that you can try other seasons if you want, but it's probably best to just tend to above-world matters in winter and summer.  If you do go in the hard seasons, best to make it for easy stuff like mining, or slurtle-farming.  Avoid heavy combat in spider infested areas, and ruins during those months.

Aww, I feel so loved! @TuffDwarf Maybe it would help if you made small, fast, cave-oriented goals to slowly desensitize yourself (like truthseeker suggested) Something like:

Goal one is go in cave and build a fire pit. Leave.

Goal two is to find one spider's nest in the cave and destroy it. Leave.

Goal three is to explore the border of one boime in the cave. Leave.

Thank you @the truthseeker and @brummbar7 for your very helpful information. 

And as for you, Lady Meda, consider yourself hugged.  (Don't worry, I'm female!)  I really appreciate the goals.  I think I can manage to do that.  One thing though ... It's not spiders that bother me, I have pet spiders, it's the slimy critters.  It's the thought of large slimies dropping on me from the ceiling that gives me the shudders even though I know it's only a game.  And leeches ... yech...

It's the best game for pulling you in and spooking you with all the unearthly noises at night, don't you think? 

For me,

I once teleported as Wendy on Day 130 ( Hated my old world, only have one beehive in the entire world and only source of honey is destroyed, no more honey forever. )

All I brought are my precious gems, hound's tooth for building traps, living logs and nightmare fuel (had plenty, not willing to sacrifice them), as well as my most used utility items (eyebrella, hibearnation vest. etc) and useful spoils from boss.

Also, don't forget the basic resources. Not having enough flint, logs, silk, grass and twigs can be cumbersome.

I leave behind all weapons and tools except a tentacle spike and walking cane to protect in case of danger.

If you have Abigail's flower, just leave her behind. I ended up with 2 abigails coz of this.

NOTE: After teleporting with low sanity/hunger/health DOES not give you full sanity/hunger/health, only some extra sanity, hunger and health

I was too greedy at the teleporter, tried to harvest all of the dark petals to get nightmare fuel and going hungry just before teleporting.

In the end, when I teleported at my new world, I realised I had dangerously low sanity and pretty low hunger. I had to uproot all the flowers and rummage through grasslands to get my sanity and hunger to safer levels.

For me,

I once teleported as Wendy on Day 130 ( Hated my old world, only have one beehive in the entire world and only source of honey is destroyed, no more honey forever. )

All I brought are my precious gems, hound's tooth for building traps, living logs and nightmare fuel (had plenty, not willing to sacrifice them), as well as my most used utility items (eyebrella, hibearnation vest. etc) and useful spoils from boss.

Also, don't forget the basic resources. Not having enough flint, logs, silk, grass and twigs can be cumbersome.

I leave behind all weapons and tools except a tentacle spike and walking cane to protect in case of danger.

If you have Abigail's flower, just leave her behind. I ended up with 2 abigails coz of this.

NOTE: After teleporting with low sanity/hunger/health DOES not give you full sanity/hunger/health, only some extra sanity, hunger and health

I was too greedy at the teleporter, tried to harvest all of the dark petals to get nightmare fuel and going hungry just before teleporting.

In the end, when I teleported at my new world, I realised I had dangerously low sanity and pretty low hunger. I had to uproot all the flowers and rummage through grasslands to get my sanity and hunger to safer levels.

... I didn't know fireflies were non-renewable.  That's good to know.

I'm really tempted to bring a full stack of saplings and grass tufts, that way I don't have to forage much in the new world.  I can just set up base immedately upon finding a good spot.

Technically non-renewable.

You might get lucky and have them spawn from harvesting a tumbleweed.

Hmmm... maybe trying a pair of moggles? Seeing more around you might make you less scared?

I also scramble out of the cave the first time I explore it for one day as I was left with low hp and hunger.

Why? coz I was underprepared. partially.

To overcome your phobia of caves, you need to be prepared. REALLY prepared in case anything goes wrong.

1) Get your first firefly to make your first miner hat. You can use many torches too, but wouldn't want that.

2) Bring armour, since its dangerous in the caves.

3) Bring food as well, in the form of 'rations' (standard 1-2 types of food) as well as sanity booster food. (NOT melonsicles, they rot real quick.) Best I think are jerkies, since eating 3 of them can restore a day's hunger and sanity loss fully.

4) Bring your weapons.

5) And rocks. or flint to bribe rock lobsters.

6)Along with some sanity booster clothings like tamoshanter or dapper vest.

If playing as wendy (which I always do), I recommend to UNsummon Abigail 1st, since she can get wreck easily by depth worm, although she is probably great against giant tentacles.

Once inside the cave.....

1) Use your rocks and flint to befriend(bribe) rock lobsters.

2) Walk around, find your renewable source of light fuel, which are light bulbs. Your fireflies are non-renewable.

3) Learn to make lanterns from alchemy engine.

Good to learn even if you have the miner hat, coz if your sanity is low,

you'll want to take off your miner hat for sanity boosting clothing.

while having light at the same time.

4) Depth worms! Watch out for them, as they can really hurt.

Lure them to your friends and your friends can settle them for you.

If there is only one worm, you can 1 v 1 it with kiting. (Don't be greedy for more hits!)

5) Bunnymens are good allies as well, but can be problematic when you just want to pick up bat wings from bats they killed.

6) The things that drop from above? look out for shadow markings on the floor and just dodge them. Even if you get hit, at least you still have your armour :)

Caves, although terrifying, is actually fun and interesting to explore if managed properly. Seeing things you can't find on the surface like snurtles, worms, and cave spiders.

As well as useful loots like glowberries and shellmet.

Just know when you should retreat when anything goes wrong.

Have fun in caves :)

Archived