Don't Starve: Giant Edition now available for PS Vita!

Wade

• Developer

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you all know that Don't Starve: Giant Edition is now available on the PS Vita!

Launching today in North America, and South America, and available starting tomorrow (09/03) in Europe, Don't Starve: Giant Edition brings the wilderness survival to the portable platform!

Here are some key details you’ll want to know:

1. The Giant Edition costs $14.99, and includes the Reign of Giants expansion. This expansion is usually $4.99, and we’ve bundled it in for everyone. It includes new characters, seasons, biomes, and other challenges that will happily kill you.
  2. Unfortunately, in order for us to get the game on Vita, we had to rewrite a bunch of backend code to optimize it. Because of this, the save games are not compatible with PS4, so there is no cross play.
  3. BUT! We love you all, so we’re making the game cross buy! If you own Don’t Starve on PS4, you get the Vita version for free, and vice versa. Thank you for supporting our game, and please spread the word so we can keep making more interesting games!

Purchase the game now through the PSN Store at http://bit.ly/1pm7kPo!

• Developer

Unfortunately, there is currently an issue with the Cross-buy where it is not functioning properly for people who only have the PS4 base game.

You do not need to have the Reign of Giants DLC to be eligible for the Cross-Buy.

We've talked to Sony about this, and they are currently looking into it.

Please be patient. Thanks!

• Developer

Sony has let us know that this issue should be addressed now.

You may have to close your Vita store page and re-open it, but it should be working correctly now.

Please let me know if you are still having issues though.

Thanks!

Hi, all. I've been having problems with getting the Don't Starve Vita for free today. I realize that Sony has fixed the problem, but it's still requesting that I pay for it. I got Don't Starve free on PS + back in January (I think)for PS4, I purchased the DLC (Reign of Giants) in July. I've tried going onto the Sony store on my PC and I'm getting no where there. I tried purchasing the bundle as some have suggested, but it's "unavailable". It's not listed as a download in my library on my Vita either. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions? Thanks!

You should be good. You may need to just wait a bit, but I can confirm that everything is now working like it should. It just may be that your little section of the internet is just not quite on board yet. 

The only thing we can tell you otherwise at this stage is that you can contact Sony support. 

Thank you for porting the game to PS Vita and offering to give it out for FREE to existing PS4 PS+ owners. Thankfully I was able to buy the game before the cross buy got enabled. I felt that it was necessary to pay for this amazing game and the way PS+ works it's impossible to actually pay for the free stuff one gets.

So now onto the Vita port... Where would be a good place to post about potential issues?

Thank you for porting the game to PS Vita and offering to give it out for FREE to existing PS4 PS+ owners. Thankfully I was able to buy the game before the cross buy got enabled. I felt that it was necessary to pay for this amazing game and the way PS+ works it's impossible to actually pay for the free stuff one gets.

So now onto the Vita port... Where would be a good place to post about potential issues?

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/forum/17-dont-starve-bug-tracker/

• Developer

Do you think there could be any potential in the future to work on the compatibility issue with PS4?

Do you think there could be any potential in the future to work on the compatibility issue with PS4?

Sadly no, the changes had to be made because the core code of the PS4 version just wasn't compatible with the Vita. Making it compatible would require both versions to be completely re-coded.

Having fun playing but I am experiencing noticeable slow down during game play due to the amount of bees on screen. I am sure you are aware of this. Is there an update planned to fix some of these issues?

Having fun playing but I am experiencing noticeable slow down during game play due to the amount of bees on screen. I am sure you are aware of this. Is there an update planned to fix some of these issues?

• Developer

We actually went back and forth with our developer on the Vita port to try to optimize as much of the gameplay scenarios as possible. For the Bees, they tweaked it as much as they could, but ultimately the limitations of the hardware prevents them from preventing some slowdown.

Archived