Is my playing mindset wrong?

2mg

I think your mindset just needs more options incorporated. We sometimes get into a stride and ignore many of the options available just out of preference or laze - I know I ignored a stack of items in the game for a long time because I just didn't feel comfortable using them. Give your playstyle some thought and investigate different ways you could tackle the same scenarios. Many scenarios presented by Klei have a single answer that's most appropriate and effective; whilst other options may be viable, they are intentionally less effective and will put you into a disadvantage.

By the way, consider setting up multiple campfires around the map at key junctions. I tend to scout out natural food resources and build campfires within intervals which are logistically accomplishable even with terrible gear - for instance, in case you die and have to resurrect. I also begin to plant trees along roads from as early on as I can so that navigating on only roads during Winter is a viable option for efficiency.

Archived