Early Access Update 1: PWR Play - Patch Notes

• Developer

post-202377-0-27991600-1409554005_thumb.

IMPORTANT NOTE!

As we continue to update the game, we are very careful to preserve player progress. However, mission saves are actually replays of your moves, so any change in balance will invalidate the current mission. In order to maintain compatibility and preserve campaign progress after a balance change, we rewind the simulation back to the last visit to the Map Screen. 

--

Welcome Operators.

It's the first update of Invisible, Inc since hitting Early Access. @jamesl, @Bigfoot, the crew and I have been really grateful for the enthusiastic response from all of you. Reading about your strategies is endlessly interesting, and we're looking forward to layer more and more interesting options and challenges as we continue development.

In addition, we've thought a lot about the difficulty, and obviously read the myriad of comments regarding it. Invisible Inc is meant to be a challenging, tight, thrilling experience. You are a skilled yet vulnerable spy in a hostile environment, always riding the razors edge with each move being a crucial decision. We want to retain that experience, even for beginning players.

With that in mind, we've now split the difficulty into two settings:

• Easy mode gives a bit more breathing room. Agents earn more money from guards and safes, each knock out lasts an extra turn, and crucially there alarm level 1 is now a warning level and doesn't increase the danger.  
  • Normal mode tightens the belt. We've beefed up the game to make it more challenging: money comes in slower, and the firewalls increase more steeply as you go further in.

What this should do is allow beginner players to ease into the game, and gives expert players even more interesting decisions, especially later in the game, where currently a strong build can overrun the corporations. 

Teaser for the next update:

The corporations are learning. They've had their top security complexes compromised more times than they admit on their monthly reports and had more of their secrets exposed than the budget was allowing for. New training facilities and security protocols have begun even as we speak. 

Patch notes for Update 1: PWR Play 

Build 109992

New Features

* 1 new program, item and daemon (go find them!)

* Difficulty settings :

• Easy

• Safes, guards, and rewards are more lucrative.

• Alarm stages ramp less quickly.

• Neural Disrupters knock out for longer

• Normal

• Safes, guards and rewards are less lucrative.

• More firewalls protect the mainframe.

Bug fixes

* Bioshot recharges properly

* Dropping body bug fix.

* Artifacts give proper rewards.

* Tool tips clean up. 

* Myriad of small bug fixes

Hot fixes 

Build 110016

* Fixed several crashes with melee weapons

* Fixed a crash when trying to steal from a conscious guard

* Fixed a crash when trying to continue a game saved in the campaign map screen (these games now default to Normal difficulty)

* Fixed a crash when trying to play tutorial (now defaults to Easy difficulty)

Build 110095

* fixed release date 

* fixed possibility of missions not showing on the map screen ( particularly the final mission)

• Developer

Hotfix: Build 110012

* Fixed several crashes with melee weapons

* Fixed a crash when trying to steal from a conscious guard

* Fixed a crash when trying to continue a game saved in the campaign map screen (these games now default to Normal difficulty)

* Fixed a crash when trying to play tutorial (now defaults to Easy difficulty)

Just to clarify, I'm asking to compare new difficulties versus the old build's "Normal." Is the last build "Normal" somewhere in between Easy and Normal in the new build, or is new Normal the same as old Normal, and easy was just added under it?

Just to clarify, I'm asking to compare new difficulties versus the old build's "Normal." Is the last build "Normal" somewhere in between Easy and Normal in the new build, or is new Normal the same as old Normal, and easy was just added under it?

From what I've read.  Easy is a little scaled back from the last build and normal is scaled up from the last build.  So easy is a more easy normal and normal is a little harder then it was before. 

Oh come on, read the whole post :p

"Easy mode gives a bit more breathing room. Agents earn more money from guards and safes, each knock out lasts an extra turn, and crucially there alarm level 1 is now a warning level and doesn't increase the danger.  

Normal mode tightens the belt. We've beefed up the game to make it more challenging: money comes in slower, and the firewalls increase more steeply as you go further in."

Easy mode -easier than prepatch normal.

Normal mode -harder than prepatch normal. So in fact you could say now there are 2 mods: Easy and Hard, while Normal is 'deleted'.

Oh come on, read the whole post :p

Easy mode -easier than prepatch normal.

Normal mode -harder than prepatch normal. So in fact you could say now there are 2 mods: Easy and Hard, while Normal is 'deleted'.

I wasn't sure if the new normal in the patch was harder relative to the new easy or relative to the old normal...Thanks for the clarification.

Not to be that guy, but do you think we'll ever see the old-Normal come back?

Because, while I never thought the game was too hard (which, I assume is what pre-faced the attempt to make an Easy mode, a lot of people did), I also never thought the current mode was too simple, either.

Conviently perhaps as well, I thought the safes never did quite pay out enough to make any of the missions seem worth an agent's time. Or they paid out juuust enough. I mean, obviously they're worth my time from an end-game objective, but individually you spend 20 minutes risking life for what? $500? it seems anticlimactic.

Vault levels are always more valuable long-term than any other mission type because they allow you to afford the other mission types and agent upgrades, and now they're less rewarding, which makes the rest just drag out more.

I guess I was hoping for more development in guard/agent/item/prop mechanics and interaction to toughen the game rather than dialing down payouts to string the difficulty out that way.

I unno, I appreciate your development of course, love the game, etc. Just my two cents.

USD: CA$ 546.55 AUD: CA$ 507.05 HKD: CA$ 70.50

That moment when you realise that the game is in 2074. Atleast that's what the copyright on the new neural distruptor says. Pretty sure that's a 7 and not a 1.

Why exactly 60 years, Klei. Why. What does it mean.

Wait a second...

'74 minus '14 is 60.

Both years have 20 starting in front of them.

60 divided by 20 is 3.

A triangle has 3 corners.

An eye can be a symbol for seeing and perception, often even espionage, which this game is about..

Combine an eye and a triangle...

Oh crap.

I love easy mode, because even easy is still challenging and requires thoughtful movements and actions, it's just a less intense experience (better for noodling around, which is how I like to play games). The extra time, especially, is a vital part of that. I beat the game pre-patch, just for anyone who might accuse me of being a filthy casual.

One interesting consequence of the extra money in easy mode that I've noticed is that before, it pretty much wasn't worth your time pursuing some of the maps presented on the map screen. Some had all the missions spread out too far and some were populated with the wrong kinds of missions for what you need at an early stage, and so on. The extra money partially obviates that, which is neat. I hope you guys consider working on the map's generation sometime soon so that more viable maps are generated, even on normal.

Thanks a ton for working on this game! It's amazing and I'm thrilled to see it so early on and I think watching it grow will be a cool experience in its own right. 

Was so excited to see this update coming in!

First thoughts:

Easy mode is a very smart addition. It feels far less like a boot on your neck and more like, as it does in FTL, water wings before the real game. Lots of players are going to love this, and for me it also presents a game that is just more relaxing to play (which I have to admit is part of what draws me to turn based games to begin with).

It still bugs me a bit to have additional cameras come online after hacking a camera DB and having to re-spot them to get at them in incognita. I think a camera once spotted should stay that way.

Thank you for your hard work! This game is already one of my favorite things to do and I can't imagine it'll go anywhere but better from here.

My technique with the camera database; time it so you hack the database the same turn the additional camera come online. Now you can see/hack most of the cameras on the same turn. 

I like turn based games for the relaxing factor as well (and cause my kitties won't wait for me to finish something time sensitive). Although I admit there are moments in this game that I would not describe as relaxing. :)

Archived