I've finally manage to beat the story mode for the first time since I've started to care about the scoring aspect of it !

Unfortunately if the game stated "story mode ended" I haven't been able to save that poor courrier, nor Internationale who was in charge of selling the inventory for extra dollars. So eventualy onlyBanks made it out alive...

But I'll take that as a victory :victorious:

post-444796-0-44153300-1410137535_thumb.

But really, why exactly is there a score? Are we supposed to be playing for score or playing to win (these two intersect, but they're definitely not the same strategically, sometimes they're even contradictory)? I think the game works better (right now at least) if you just try to win the current playthrough instead of going for the "maximum score ever" thing, which would at last result in taking the silliest risks.

But really, why exactly is there a score? Are we supposed to be playing for score or playing to win (these two intersect, but they're definitely not the same strategically, sometimes they're even contradictory)? I think the game works better (right now at least) if you just try to win the current playthrough instead of going for the "maximum score ever" thing, which would at last result in taking the silliest risks.

I absolutely agree with this.

We should play to win, which would mean spending more credits for the more awesome gear. Since spending cash lowers the score, it would mean that winning the most efficient way possible is bad, apparently.

You want to win with the least amount of risk possible, using the least amount of money for that is only secondary, reducing the risk is the most important thing here.

We need some sort of penatly for when we lose an agent, or the agents get downed too much. I doubt it's good for reputation if agents keep dying on missions.

It is actually very possible to complete story mode without spending any credits what so ever to upgrade your agents. Banks and Internationale + Fusion and Parasite is all you need as starters. I know because I got to the last mission without upgrading anything.

BUT!!

When I came to the final mission (1st time after like a million attempts) I couldn't resist the urge of upgrading. No way was I dying now!

Note: @Jason and @Bigfoot I'm not that good to go through the whole of story mode without knocking a guard out yet, so I did invest in some armour piercing tazers and two med gels (found the other two on guards) throughout the story mode. So if it is possible to complete story mode WITHOUT UPGRADES TO AGENTS then isn't there something wrong?

It is actually very possible to complete story mode without spending any credits what so ever to upgrade your agents. Banks and Internationale + Fusion and Parasite is all you need as starters. I know because I got to the last mission without upgrading anything.

BUT!!

When I came to the final mission (1st time after like a million attempts) I couldn't resist the urge of upgrading. No way was I dying now!

Note: @Jason and @Bigfoot I'm not that good to go through the whole of story mode without knocking a guard out yet, so I did invest in some armour piercing tazers and two med gels (found the other two on guards) throughout the story mode. So if it is possible to complete story mode WITHOUT UPGRADES TO AGENTS then isn't there something wrong?

Game is too easy, make it harder please :D

Game is too easy, make it harder please :D

Can't agree more, but I would also prefer more challenges/puzzles. Like how we have in endless mode (Code Name missions).

I'm sure I read somewhere that the story mode will get more story driven missions like the ones I mentioned including the final mission. So that's something to look forward to.

So basically harder mode plus situations/scenarios that make you think harder :)

I absolutely agree with this.

We should play to win, which would mean spending more credits for the more awesome gear. Since spending cash lowers the score, it would mean that winning the most efficient way possible is bad, apparently.

Well, it really depends on what type of player you are ! For example some players enjoy creating the most OP build possible in endless mode, others creating their set of rule for a challenge or for others game some people are story driven !

As far as I'm concerned, I really, really enjoy the scoring aspect of this game ! I like to always be on the edge of losing the game and to have to decide if I really need that gun or if I want to save that money ! I just enjoy the extra challenge and how hard it is to take decisions !

My main concern with the scoring aspect is that it relies too much on mission placement on the worldmap, I feel like there might be a bit too much luck involved, I understand that there should be some luck, that way when you hit "that" run you have to make the most of it, but right now that might be a bit too much.

But hopefully as J20hawkz stated the game will be more challenging, as devs put more content that will create more complex situations !

Well, it really depends on what type of player you are ! For example some players enjoy creating the most OP build possible in endless mode, others creating their set of rule for a challenge or for others game some people are story driven !

As far as I'm concerned, I really, really enjoy the scoring aspect of this game ! I like to always be on the edge of losing the game and to have to decide if I really need that gun or if I want to save that money ! I just enjoy the extra challenge and how hard it is to take decisions !

My main concern with the scoring aspect is that it relies too much on mission placement on the worldmap, I feel like there might be a bit too much luck involved, I understand that there should be some luck, that way when you hit "that" run you have to make the most of it, but right now that might be a bit too much.

But hopefully as J20hawkz stated the game will be more challenging, as devs put more content that will create more complex situations !

I don't mean it on a gameplay aspect, I mean it realistically.

Real agents, I assume, would have a budget and holding back cash just for the heck of it, increasing risk, wouldn't be very smart.

I don't mean it on a gameplay aspect, I mean it realistically.

Real agents, I assume, would have a budget and holding back cash just for the heck of it, increasing risk, wouldn't be very smart.

Remind me where we hack robots and try to figure out how to taze null droids in an alternate reality where mega corps took over the world by the 1960's where this is "real" again? 

We're the last holdout in a bought world, and this is the only way left we have to get money. The rest was spent to make and keep Incognita and the term running. 

Remind me where we hack robots and try to figure out how to taze null droids in an alternate reality where mega corps took over the world by the 1960's where this is "real" again?

We're the last holdout in a bought world, and this is the only way left we have to get money. The rest was spent to make and keep Incognita and the term running.

Actually the game is in 2074.

Source: In the new update's poster at the bottom right there's a fictional copyright hint, stating the new tazer is © to some company in 2074.

Playing for score is one thing, definitely different than playing just to win, but i got a challenge for you big scorers, one that will push your stealthiness and cleverness to the extreme: beat story mode with the lowest possible score! Keep in mind stunning guards, buying items and hacking all add to final score! ;)

Keep in mind stunning guards, buying items and hacking all add to final score! ;)

Do they really? I think it's just score = reputation + money. Although I'm not sure if there are ways to build reputation besides stealing corporate intelligence?

I know a bunch of the things you mentioned add to your EXP, though.

Do they really? I think it's just score = reputation + money. Although I'm not sure if there are ways to build reputation besides stealing corporate intelligence?

I know a bunch of the things you mentioned add to your EXP, though.

Yeah, I think s/he confused the XP for reputation.

It is actually very possible to complete story mode without spending any credits what so ever to upgrade your agents.

It's possible indeed (although probably you will need much more luck than usual), but it isn't way to highest scores. Anarchy gives you bonus money from guards, so at least you must upgrade it for one agent (Banks preferably) as soon as possible.

Other stats doesn't have direct impact on scores, so in theory you must not upgrade anything but Anarchy. In practice though without upgraded stealth you probably will regularly end up playing with fire on alarm level 6 if you'll want to loot all safes and all guards.

My high score for completed story mode is 42270. I'm afraid I don't have a picture to prove that though. 45 hours logged on Steam. 

My strategy has been Banks/Deckard and Fusion/Lockpick. I beeline anarchy 4 on both, then stealth 4, and usually end up with 5 maximum inventory on both. So far I haven't gotten a third agent since the update, so I don't know if they will actually improve my score since that would be a few thousand to upgrade their stats. I can usually clear every level with just 2 agents. 

I also go to security dispatches instead of nanofabs since they give you free items. The only thing I really buy is level 3 neural disrupters, and the occasional cloak, paralyzer, and buster chip. 

My usual priority tends to be vault > security dispatch > executive terminal > detention center > server farm > nanofab vestibule. 

Archived