When and why did you start playing Don't Starve?

I started playing about a month ago and I'm totally addicted by the way XD. I started to play after mooching through twitch one night after casting and just happened across the game, watched for a bit, chatted to the streamer for a while and bought it on the spot. It's original, difficult and unforgiving - intsawin for me :)

Earlier this year. I was looking for games to play that were single player and offline, because my internet acted up a LOT and I was left offline for awhile at times. It's quite annoying how a lot of single player games still need internet to play really >_>.  I saw this game during the steam summer sale. Great deal, I couldn't pass it up. I liked the idea of it, looked fun, and I have no regrets with my purchase. Shortly after purchasing, I learned, "Holy crap! Multiplayer coming out!!!" So, I then proceeded bribe...blackmail... force... coerce...to ask... my friend into getting it so he could then later play with me. I think he's very happy with the purchase too :)  (Caught him playing it the other day infact!!! lol)

:wilson_vforvictory:

I started playing Don't Starve November/December 2012, I don't remember exactly. The art style caught my eye and so did the music once I got the game running in Chrome. By that time I went through my last school year of programming web-related languages so DS running smoothly in Chrome was pretty fascinating, too bad Klei removed it, it would've been a nice addition to chrome-books and android devices :grin: But heck I prefer stand-alone and Steam anyway, PC woot woot. Eventually I ended up buying some Humble Bundle offer because I got tired of re-playing the short Chrome demo.

Oh and I'm still waiting for that beta-forum-member-player-badge-thingy-mangy! *peeks over Kevin's shoulder*

I started playing Don't Starve few days after the first caves update. I got it from my friend for some TF2 items and I knew literally nothing about it. Few days later I got into it I decided to make polish translation for the game. It took me and my other friend about a month to fully translate the game + few updates that came out while we were working on it. Later, after public release of translation the project was scrapped and deleted (don't remember why though) and now I'm just enjoying playing the game, occasionally making some private mods for own use. Anyway, this game is one of the best survival sandbox I've ever played because of its simple design, randomness and catchy style. Big 'ol 'Woooho!' for the creators!

I knew about DS for ages but never played it, I only got into the swing when RoG came out. I love EVERYTHING about it though. The music, art, story, challenging gameplay and most importantly the fans! Look us all! We're amazing~

I believe I started playing Don't Starve late March 2013. It was around when they were adding adventure mode. I had heard about it from several different sources none of which I remember, and eventually I decided to look into it. When I discovered that there was a good chance my crappy laptop would run it, I requested it for my birthday. I thought the art style and atmosphere were really cool, and I was intrigued by the ideas of 'early access' and 'rogue-like.' Also, TF2 promotional items are nice.

Anyway, I got it and it was great. It was hard at first, but it always seemed fair. It was a lot different from anything else I had played and I think that's one reason I enjoyed it so much. That, and the fact that the game is all about learning how to play it. The game at first seems impossible, but if you play it enough you'll get to the point where you almost never die, and that progression just feels really good to me.

Also, Don't Starve gave me something to think about aside from how much I hated my job and it gave me hope that my laptop might be able to run some other games that are worth playing.

Yesterday. I bought it in the Steam sale just know (with the Reign of Giants DLC) and I like it far more than I expected I would. I thought it would be one of those game I play for a day, then don't touch it for another month and then play it again... but no, I'm addicted to it now. My instinct made a good choice to buy this game, but now I'm going completely insane seeing everything on this forum without knowing what it all is and means. I shall find out one day.

I started playing right before the Long Live the Queen update. I was drawn in because I've always loved games with a survival aspect, and the "stylized style" really played a big role as well. And after all that time I've finally joined the forums. :p

I first played it when it was an extension for Google Chrome but I literally had no idea what was going on, so I stopped playing it and then just within the last few months rediscovered it and bought it to start playing again and thankfully I now know what is going on and I absolutely love it!

I first played it when it was an extension for Google Chrome but I literally had no idea what was going on, so I stopped playing it and then just within the last few months rediscovered it and bought it to start playing again and thankfully I now know what is going on and I absolutely love it!

Archived