Stitched Doll~ an art thread

DwerBomb

Hi, have another (?) art thread. Since it's not related to DS in any way, I've decided to post this in the off-topic section.

post-214555-0-67884800-1408291097_thumb.

Hey Dwer, why did you make an art thread?

BoPoDoll is a new project I've come up with. I've been working on this kind of stuff for about a year, experimenting new things (my deviantart) or other art (my art thread). The reason why I've been doing this is because I needed a way to express myself and my creativity. Drawing is a good way to do so.

This thread is just a thing I've made to get critiques, feedbacks and suggestions, other then getting a way to advertise my blog (I don't even know if that is going to be the way I will publish this stuff...if you have a better suggestion tell me please).

What is this thing?

BoPoDoll (the name is still a not finished thing, it may be changed in the future, feel free to suggest a better name too, it would make me happy) is a series of comics about me and my life (?). The stories will follow a storyline and the genre could change from a comical beginning to a weird and depressing theme at any moment, just like in life. Everything is surreal, nothing is realistic, just like in dreams.

I don't know how frequently I'll post this, seeing how the first one took me 3 days to be completed :p

Your art is bad and you should feel bad!

I know my art isn't good. That's one of the reasons why I first grabbed my pencil back, at the beginning of this year, after making my first art thread: to improve. I want to improve while practicing, so that my drawings will be shaped in the best way.

I also don't know what's wrong with my scanner...it seems that when I scan my drawings they get uglier and worse then I see them on paper... I try my best to edit them so that they look as on paper, but still...

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this suggestion.

Yes please. Each suggestion, feedback, or critique is a great help for me.

Just don't destroy my self-esteem please.

I have a real question for you!

Just post it below by commenting.

Now that (hopefully) I've answered your doubts, let's go to the actual first page of this comic!

post-214555-0-52732400-1408292640_thumb.

post-214555-0-28254100-1408292626_thumb.

post-214555-0-96833400-1408292613_thumb.

You're not as bad as you think! Your lineart is tight which is nice to see, though a little bit of volume is to be desired but don't sweat that. You'll get it in time.

Thanks!

I have to admit that I'm quiet scared of doing mistakes, so I stick with a tighter lineart...I hope I'll pass this phase :/

He.. She.. It.. is wearing a t-shirt, right?
My weird mind would find it way funnier if it wasn't in fact a t-shirt, but actually the body looking that way, making it seem it's a t-shirt but it's not! Hilarious.

Without the collar of course, that would just be weird.

Okay I'll stay away from art.

This has potential, but if I will or will not have interest in this will depend on what genre (Comedy, Drama, Action, Etc) if it stays around comedy I'll pop around to tell you what I think. Also I there are some question that are quite good to be answered when I see a comic: What is the protagonist's name?(This has been answered, I know) What are the other character's names?( So far, the girl that appeared, I honestly usually like this to be answered for most situations, unless you want to keep said character in mystery. The more the characters appear in the main comic, the better I find for this to be answered) Where do they live?(this can be answered either by making a background that allows me to see it, which the current comics lack of, or simply by saying "They live in the magical land of X" the first option being the best one if there really isn't a reason to talk about where they live over any other things)What are them? What can they do? (this one is mostly important for action/rpg/adventure comics, but sometimes it can be useful for other comics if it isnt stupidly obvious what the characters are). Also there are some other things that I like to see(and that I will probably do when I make a comic of myself):

If you aren't trying to make something that strictly follows real life rules break the 4th wall sometimes

I like to see the characters interacting with the comic scenario in a way that makes it feel like they know they are in a comic, punching another char from another square, looking at themselves in another square, stuff like that. In certain comedy comics these 4th wall breaking can allow for quite funny jokes, if the one who makes the comics now how to use the 4th wall breaking in said way.

If a character has some "Special Caracteristc" pick at it as much as you can/want

Its quite sad to see, as an example, an anthropomorphic duck in a comic and just see it act like a normal human being 99.9999% of the time, unless it is to be visualy pleasent to the maker/reader there is no point of it being a duck to begin with. If a character has some caracteristc, make jokes with it when the opportunity comes.

Make a reference to something here or there

Its nice if you make references to some things in your comic, either via a drawing that recembles something or via a sentence that references something. And most important: DO NOT tell people where the references come from, it quite ruins it, and I don't  why one would make a reference just to instantly tell people where they come from after writing it.

Go nuts

Its better to usually stay away from casual situations( situations that can happen to us IRL) and to do things that are impossible/crazy to do IRL, time travel, going to another planet, etc.

Keep in mind that all of what has been said here is just my personal opinion in the matter. And to complement I'll give you my personal opinion on your comic so far (See the spoiler bellow).

The character themselves are ok, both are well designed and have they own caracteristcs that appear not be to shared from one to another, this may be wrong tho, as we barely could see any part of the girl's body(outside from her face and arms) also the girl looks like Mandy from The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, but happier and I quite like that. The background is well... blank I like to see some stuff at the background to have a better knowing of how the charaters are and how the place where they are is, personal objects like videogames if inside their house/apartment,or natural/unnatural objects if outside. The background wasn't really that important here as the main focus is the main protagonist(said focus was easy to see since you mostly kept him in the middle of the squares of the comics) but some background would be nice just for it to be more visually pleasent, however if you dont feel the need to do it, then dont, as having or not a background wouldn't affect whatsoever what occured in the comic(so far).

The way you make us able to see which characters are saying is currently quite bad I'd say, for example look at the bottom middle comic, if one wouldn't see the clear difference beetwen the characters personalities it would seem like the main character said both sentences, which he did not. If anything else make a line that goes from the sentence and behind the character who was on the way, said line going close to the character who the sentence belongs to, and make and arrow pointing to said character.Also there isn't really a reason to make arrown pointing to which character said what when theres only one character in the square, it is obvious that the one character who is there is the one who said that(see the middle square and the middle left square).

The name "BoPoDoll" sounds dumb, I'd say more, but I see you clearly won't stick with that title, so I won't go into more details. 

Also the first comic didn't make me laugh, or anywhere close that(but don't feel bad, its actually quite hard for something to make me laugh) it doesn't seem like a joke more that a regular situation that could happen to someone, similar situations to that one can happen commonly in families with more than one child, you said the comic is based around you, so I can see why it would be something that sounds somewhat "common" to see, hopin' to see an improvement on the jokes side.

You wanted feedback/critiques/suggestions so here you go.

Archived