Character Tier List

Please note, I understand that each character is designed to tailor to a different playstyle. This tier list was made with the goal of providing information about each character, and to give an objective look at each characters' abilities and strengths at a high level of play.

S
WX-78- Requires gears to get going, but afterward is an overall great character with little drawbacks. Rain damage is mitigated with early-game equipment (Pretty Parasol, then the Umbrella), and the System Overload mechanic usually does more good than harm.
V
Wigfrid- Has amazing combat potential, and great sanity management. Consistent 1.25 damage modifier, passive 25% damage reduction and combat regeneration (recovers 25% of enemies attack damage as health and sanity) outclasses Wolfgang's variable damage modifier, which requires constant upkeep and much food. Lower than average max sanity is irrelevant due to aforementioned combat regeneration. Can only eat meat- not too troubling, but can be a problem if you're caught in a pinch without food. Can craft character-exclusive Helmet and spear that outclass basic equipment. Starts with 4 meat, and her character specific items to aid her early on.
A+
Woodie- (ROG: below Wilson*) Average stats, and his biggest strength is also his greatest weakness. Amazing utility, resource gathering, and situational combat prowess in the form of werebeaver, but transforming every full moon can become tedious,and can leave you in a dangerous state if unprepared. He can transform at will by chopping down too many trees, but this limits his ability to acquire logs. Chops trees faster, and has Lucy, which fells large trees in 8 chops instead of 15, and can be used as an early game weapon. In a perilous state, he can transform into werebeaver to confront various threats.
V
Wilson- Average stats, and no weaknesses (ROG- beard accelerates overheating). Grows a magnificent beard that slows freezing and can be shaved for beard hair. Quite versatile, and has an easier time in winter. His advantages can be easily imitated with preperation, but his lack of drawbacks makes him a solid character.
A
Webber- Grows a silk beard, which can be shaved for silk, and provides 3/4 insulation compared to Wilson's. Can eat monster meat with no penalties, which makes it a useful early food source. Can befriend spiders, which are neutral by default. Higher than average max hunger and health. Lower than average max sanity, which cannot be restored by pigs. Mobs which are hostile to spiders will attack on sight, making pigs less advantageous, and stops you from befriending Catcoons. Starts with a spider den, and monster meat. Can craft spider dens, and isn't slowed down by webbing. Cannot force spiders to leave their dens except by attacking, which limits spider drop farming.
V
Wendy- Unskilled in combat (75% damage), but loses sanity more slowly (75% sanity loss). Can summon Abigail, who is great for killing spiders and bees, and killing/aggroing passive/neutral mobs respectively. Abigail, however, doesn't help much against stronger opponents because of her tendency to try to tank everything. Abigail does 2X damage in dusk and 4X damage at night. Great in caves and ruins, which are considered permanent night, due to decreased sanity drain and Abigail maintaing a 4X damage modifier.
V
Maxwell- Starts with nightmare armour, a dark sword, 4 nightmare fuel, and the Codex Umbra. Has passive +20 sanity/m, making sanity a non-issue. Has an extremely low max health, which renders him less combat-oriented. Can summon shadow Maxwells with the Codex Umbra at the cost of 2 nightmare fuel, 15 health, and 55 max sanity (temporary). This gives him complete sanity control, as long as he has nightmare fuel. The shadow Maxwells assist in combat, and in chopping trees. His fragility prevents his outstanding sanity control from truly shining.
B+
Willow- (ROG: A-**) Has good sanity control and an infinite fire source. Fires restore sanity, with larger fires increasing the effect. Lights fires when low on sanity, which can cause terrible damage to your base and non-renewable resources. Has lower than average max sanity. Is immune to fire. Has no outstanding traits that cannot be mimicked with preparation.
V
Wolfgang- Has a 1.25 damage modifier in his base form. Has a higher max hunger (300). When his hunger is at 225 or higher, he enters Mighty form, which increases damage, health, and gives a slight speed increase. Loses sanity 10% faster. Damage modifier varies from 0.5-2.0 depending on hunger. Loses hunger 50% faster in base form, and 3X faster in Mighty form. Overall he requires much more food than other characters, and needs huge amounts of food to sustain Mighty form. Excels in combat, but his damage-hunger mechanic is just a burden outside of battles.
C
Wickerbottom- Gets a bonus tech tier (only requires a science machine for alchemy engine recipes). Can create books for various effects. Can't sleep, which limits methods of restoring sanity. Eating stale foods has the effect of eating spoiled foods, and eating spoiled foods is almost equivalent to eating rot. Her bonus tier is useless as soon as the characters get an alchemy engine, and her books, while useful, are generally expensive, have imitatable effects, and greatly reduce not as easily restorable sanity. She is suited to fast starts, but suffers in the long term.
D-
Wes- Has lower max health, hunger, and sanity. Doesn't speak, preventing helpful advice such as hound wave alerts and crock pot states. Loses hunger and sanity 25% faster and does 25% less damage. Has a Pile o' balloons, which he can blow up at the cost of 5 sanity. This allows him to lower sanity at will. The balloons can be destroyed, and will cause 5 damage to anything near them. Wes is designed to be the most difficult character to survive as.

* In Reign of Giants, full moons illuminate the night. This means that other characters can work throughout the night as well, somewhat devaluing his forced transformation.
** Willow has an easier time fighting the Dragonfly, one-of-if-not-the toughest opponent, due to her fire immunity.

This list may not be completely accurate for everyone. For example, Willow may be great for beginners who frequently die from darkness, and at the opposite end of the spectrum, Wigfrid may be a bad choice for those who have a difficult time acquiring meat and rely on farms and berries.
It's a bad idea to choose the strongest character just for their ability alone. The game's more fun if you play a character you enjoy.

There have been lists like this before, the hope is that the characters get rebalanced a bit so there isnt encouragement to pick one character over another. While other charters to preform better in situations where others dont, characters like Wes and Wendy, who are intentionally weak by design aren't going to be picked much if people encourage tiered play. Wes Is supposed to be hardmode, and I doubt he'll be changed. Wendy might get a little boost for Abigail, but nothings guaranteed. All I really want to say is, please dont encourage tiered play.

You rated Wes lower than WX78?! But seriously, I think you rated Webber a little high there... and Wickerbottom  low, but that's just my opinion as a Wickerbottom player, I mean, no having to manage tooth traps, for the cost of a tentacle spot and some sanity, I'll take any weapon against the hounds and giants, especially Wickerbottom's books.

There have been lists like this before, the hope is that the characters get rebalanced a bit so there isnt encouragement to pick one character over another. While other charters to preform better in situations where others dont, characters like Wes and Wendy, who are intentionally weak by design aren't going to be picked much if people encourage tiered play. Wes Is supposed to be hardmode, and I doubt he'll be changed. Wendy might get a little boost for Abigail, but nothings guaranteed. All I really want to say is, please dont encourage tiered play.

Yeah I know. Did you read the entire post, specifically the opening and closing statements? I said that you should probably choose the character you enjoy most, I'm actually discouraging tiered play. The topic itself is more to describe information and nuances of the characters, with the tiers themselves being mainly for fun on my part. Anyway, Wendy's not intentionally designed to be weak, just less suited for combat without Abigail. And yeah, I said that Wes is designed to be the most difficult character to play as.

And WX now uses the Eyebrella instead due to it can be sewn for restored durability while umbrella do not renew. Also helps both in Spring and Summer seasons better. 

The Eyebrella is certainly an option as well. I usually use the umbrella, because using the Football Helmet in conjuction with it also gives you 100% rain protection. The umbrella can be sewn, too, but I'm not sure if it could pre ROG.

You rated Wes lower than WX78?! But seriously, I think you rated Webber a little high there... and Wickerbottom  low, but that's just my opinion as a Wickerbottom player, I mean, no having to manage tooth traps, for the cost of a tentacle spot and some sanity, I'll take any weapon against the hounds and giants, especially Wickerbottom's books.

I was thinking of noting that her book "On Tentacles" is good for dealing with particularly strong enemies, but the point is that you can deal with the same things (Excluding the Dragonfly, but it would likely kill the tentacles with ease if they're not in a huge clump) with tooth traps just as efficiently. They're also safer, you don't have to risk getting smacked around while picking up drops, although I've heard that picking up drops in a tooth-field is annoying on the PC version.

By the way, does anyone know how to use multiquote? It seems that when I click on it, it immediately brings me to the reply page, with only one post quoted.

VSABCD? I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about and how you come to those conclusions. If you mean S is the Easy Mode and D is the Expert Mode, and everything in between is labelled based on your personal preference and play style, then yeah. I can tell you don't play or like Wickerbottom much.

VSABCD? I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about and how you come to those conclusions. If you mean S is the Easy Mode and D is the Expert Mode, and everything in between is labelled based on your personal preference and play style, then yeah. I can tell you don't play or like Wickerbottom much.

The "V"'s are meant to denote that this list is in a linearly descending order. Think of the standard grading system in school, with S being above A. Anyway, Wes is my favourite character(My longest lasting world, both in Vanilla and ROG, is with him at day 348 and 250, respectively), and I also enjoy playing Wigfrid, Wendy, and Woodie. I don't believe my preferences affected this list too much, but of course everything everyone says will be opinionated somewhat. I detailed why I believe the characters are where they are on the list, and I wholeheartedly support others disagreeing with it.

By the way, does anyone know how to use multiquote? It seems that when I click on it, it immediately brings me to the reply page, with only one post quoted.

@JoeW  I get this also.

But there's no rhyme or reason on mine. Sometimes it allows me to multi-quote, sometimes it takes me to a reply screen the moment I try to use MQ for the first poster (and it just happened with this reply.)

Sometimes MQ only works on OT sections, sometimes it works on all threads.

Sometimes waiting for the page to fully load helps, sometimes waiting minutes makes no difference.

(I thought while I was running a flash game in another tab it may have been responsible, but now I realize it's not just me) 

Archived