Where do we stand on Hunger Games?

The more I think about it, the more I want this. There could be different arenas with specific biomes (swamps, grasslands, etc) and specific seasons (adding the challenge of freezing and overheating). Everyone would start in a circle and run towards the middle to grab items, food and weapons to survive. It would be awesome.

I know people hate the idea of PvP, saying that it´s to weak to do anything interesting, but I think people forget that the challenge of The Hunger Games books/movies in not about only surviving other players, but also surviving the environment. Like think about the THG servers in Minecraft, no one starves to death, or freezes, or dies because of the environment, they die because the other player´s kill them, it´s basically it´s a death match, there is no man vs. wild challenge to it.

But a HG in DST would last for days, you would need to look for food and build fires every night like in the book, eventually running out of resources and starving to death. I don´t know, I think it would be pretty cool.

If someone wants to make a mod of it I say godspeed. At the end of the day I see no harm in it, people will want to play and the people who dont can just go play somewhere else.

I do like the idea of premade and carefully made maps made just for these kind of things, making resources scarce or dangerous to get to. Think of the icebox traps in vanilla but on a larger scale and with different things I guess. Also hound waves with things other then hounds, say you pick more then 10 rocks in a rock biome, well thats too bad because that summons a swarm of angry tallbirds, Maxwell tooth traps all around one a meaty stew. Adventure mode like difficulty but for the whole family!

It does seem neat.

But I guess the only problem is to really push the "only one can survive" thing, because of the setting theres no pressure to actually kill anyone besides to win. And while I guess that can be motivation enough for some people, a little reward would be nice for killing others.

Since we're talking hunger games, why not the more people you kill, the better your chance is for getting one of those little care packages from the "sponsors"? Like you kill 3 people and you're low on health, ohh whats that falling from the sky its a healing salve! Just to keep things simple and not to make it too OP I say just base those off of whats lowest at the time, health sanity or hunger. Food dropping if you're hungry, healing items when hurt, sanity restoration items if insane.

If someone wants to make a mod of it I say godspeed. At the end of the day I see no harm in it, people will want to play and the people who dont can just go play somewhere else.

I do like the idea of premade and carefully made maps made just for these kind of things, making resources scarce or dangerous to get to. Think of the icebox traps in vanilla but on a larger scale and with different things I guess. Also hound waves with things other then hounds, say you pick more then 10 rocks in a rock biome, well thats too bad because that summons a swarm of angry tallbirds, Maxwell tooth traps all around one a meaty stew. Adventure mode like difficulty but for the whole family!

It does seem neat.

But I guess the only problem is to really push the "only one can survive" thing, because of the setting theres no pressure to actually kill anyone besides to win. And while I guess that can be motivation enough for some people, a little reward would be nice for killing others.

Since we're talking hunger games, why not the more people you kill, the better your chance is for getting one of those little care packages from the "sponsors"? Like you kill 3 people and you're low on health, ohh whats that falling from the sky its a healing salve! Just to keep things simple and not to make it too OP I say just base those off of whats lowest at the time, health sanity or hunger. Food dropping if you're hungry, healing items when hurt, sanity restoration items if insane.

Well, I would make the size of the maps limited. Not tiny, but small enough for resources to run out quickly in about 3-4 days. Maybe like in the old version of DS, one of those round islands would do. That way, people would slowly starve to death if the fight goes on for too long. Also, some crafting options would be disabled, especially the Food options; stuff like farms and bee boxes would be deleted. 

Well, I would make the size of the maps limited. Not tiny, but small enough for resources to run out quickly in about 3-4 days. Maybe like in the old version of DS, one of those round islands would do. That way, people would slowly starve to death if the fight goes on for too long. Also, some crafting options would be disabled, especially the Food options; stuff like farms and bee boxes would be deleted. 

but the problem with tiny is that you'd run into players a lot, and running isnt really an option. thats why custom maps seem like a good way to go, makes the areas a lot neater to just explore too

There are quite a few pvp survival games out there. If you still insist, make a mod.

Otherwise, the first person to grab the blow darts wins. The fun lasts a few minutes or seconds, then what?

Well...No. For example, say he goes for the blow darts, but I grabbed all the warm clothes. He freezes to death. See, that´s what you guys don´t understand! There are so many factors to the game´s PvP other than "Who has better weapons". There are so many things that if not managed, can easily make you vulnerable: sanity, food, night, mobs, weather, armor. Weapons are just a part of it! 

but the problem with tiny is that you'd run into players a lot, and running isnt really an option. thats why custom maps seem like a good way to go, makes the areas a lot neater to just explore too

I think though it should be randomly generated. That way players won´t know where all of the resources are. 

I think though it should be randomly generated. That way players won´t know where all of the resources are. 

True, where's that "make your own set piece" thread? Having a map made up of custom set pieces large and small would be really neat.

I grabbed all the warm clothes.

So you grab the warm clothes, you win. GG. Then what?

Besides player killing, is there anything the Hunger game can offer but the single player DS can't? It's just like preset plus + set pieces, with multi-player.

Co-op, race, capture the flag, etc are more interesting because there is a greater goal to achieve than being the last man standing. I would be extremely disappointed if DST offers nothing more than a chance to hit another human player, or just a waiting game to see who dies first.

The idea of a " Hunger Games Gametype" has already been milked to a hilarious degree.  The Minecraft gametype, hundreds of Roblox servers, probably been done a lot with Garry's Mod, and now this?  It's getting kind of old, and it doesn't really fit with the game's style either.  I'd rather like a gametype when someone gets to play god with the world, while everyone else tries to survive in what they create.  Last man standing wins.  That would be great!  But the devs really shouldn't spend time creating an official Hunger Games gametype, especially considering that one will be created 2 days after release by the public anyways.  And even in that case, I wouldn't play it.  Just not a fan of the idea.

No! No oh dear no! No!

Capture the Flag.

Mods.

I agree that hunger games aren't exactly what I expect from DST, but I hope Klei allows mods to stage gamemodes in some way. I would be excited to see how people would go about CtF. Theoretically, you can make that in vanilla though (using guardians horn and deerclops eyeball, every team has thulecite and an ancient science shrine, first to get Hound Shootah wins)

EDIT: shortened Battals opinion down to the essential

The more I think about it, the more I want this. There could be different arenas with specific biomes (swamps, grasslands, etc) and specific seasons (adding the challenge of freezing and overheating). Everyone would start in a circle and run towards the middle to grab items, food and weapons to survive. It would be awesome.

I know people hate the idea of PvP, saying that it´s to weak to do anything interesting, but I think people forget that the challenge of The Hunger Games books/movies in not about only surviving other players, but also surviving the environment. Like think about the THG servers in Minecraft, no one starves to death, or freezes, or dies because of the environment, they die because the other player´s kill them, it´s basically it´s a death match, there is no man vs. wild challenge to it.

But a HG in DST would last for days, you would need to look for food and build fires every night like in the book, eventually running out of resources and starving to death. I don´t know, I think it would be pretty cool.

Oh my god, I love this idea so much.  I think PVP is a good idea BTW, it adds more choice.

So you grab the warm clothes, you win. GG. Then what?

Besides player killing, is there anything the Hunger game can offer but the single player DS can't? It's just like preset plus + set pieces, with multi-player.

Co-op, race, capture the flag, etc are more interesting because there is a greater goal to achieve than being the last man standing. I would be extremely disappointed if DST offers nothing more than a chance to hit another human player, or just a waiting game to see who dies first.

Again, no...Maybe he makes a fire and lives, or kills someone and steals their clothes, or uses his blow darts to kill a Beefalo and makes his own. Or someone might find him in this weak state and take advantage of it and try to kill him, or maybe they might help each out and they become allies! Who knows! There is endless possibilities of what could happen!

"Is there anything the Hunger game can offer but the single player DS can't?" I don´t know really how to answer this. First off, that´s all DST is, it´s the single player game but with people playing together, possibly killing each other. Second off, what does this offer'? I don´t know, the freaking Hunger Games maybe! It´s exciting and nerve breaking trying to survive while you are being hunted down by people.

​Race? Capture the flag? Are you kidding me? Those are so boring and they do don´t anything with the man vs. nature theme that Don´t Starve and The Hunger Games are all about! Honestly, this game is perfect for THG.

The idea of a " Hunger Games Gametype" has already been milked to a hilarious degree.  The Minecraft gametype, hundreds of Roblox servers, probably been done a lot with Garry's Mod, and now this?  It's getting kind of old, and it doesn't really fit with the game's style either.  I'd rather like a gametype when someone gets to play god with the world, while everyone else tries to survive in what they create.  Last man standing wins.  That would be great!  But the devs really shouldn't spend time creating an official Hunger Games gametype, especially considering that one will be created 2 days after release by the public anyways.  And even in that case, I wouldn't play it.  Just not a fan of the idea.

But that´s my problem. I haven´t played Garry´s mode, but as far as Minecraft goes, those aren´t Hunger Games, those are just death matches. There is no man vs, nature element to it, it´s just killing all the players in an arena. There is no scarcity of food or dangerous weather. No one actually starves in a Minecraft HG.

I believe someone found something in the files that sounded like hunger games. Might be wrong though.

Nope, you are right. They updated the game at some point to have "starvinggames" in the mod folder, along with other DST things. (They even appear in the in game mod section, see for yourself!)

So, chances are we will get a hunger games like gamemode as an official mod by klei, either that or I am horribly mistaken and it is only a red herring.

(I think the other things were "messenger" "deathwatch" and "leaderboards")

Archived