Hound Attacks - SOMETHING IS COMING

Just something funny I thought about, which we can transition into some more serious discussion, but did anybody else think about how silly it will be when we have a big group of every character gathered together around a campfire one night and suddenly everybody speaks their scripted "The Hounds are coming" message at the same time? (and Wes who will of course just ride an invisible bike in place)

The image of that amuses me for some reason, like, everyone has Hound Senses (aka the ability to hear hounds barking in the distance) and feels the need to point it out to everybody else at the same time. Not knocking it at all, I actually wouldn't want Klei to fix it so only one character would say it. I want to see a simultaneous utterance of the oncoming danger, especially with WX's ALL-CAPS CRAZY SYNTH and Webber's excited shout for Doggies in his terrifically garbled voice.

It's gonna be beautiful.

On a more serious note though, I don't know how extensively this has been discussed in the past, but how do you folks imagine hound attacks working for DST? Will they still attack in similar terms of how they do in single player, but individualized for each player, (so everybody has to deal with 1-2 hounds targeting them specifically) or will they attack in certain numbers depending on how many players are nearby? If you had a 4 player server with individualized hound attacks, by day 25 you could end up with 20 hounds spawned in one location attacking you all at once. I really look forward to seeing all-out brawls like that. It's really going to feel like holding back a huge pack of wolves, like Liam Neeson in The Gray except with more log suits, and just as many pointed sticks. Also the hounds won't be quite so terrifying or determined as the wolves in that movie. (they're pretty easily distracted, those Don't Starve hounds!)

I dunno, I think the warnings are really useful, so is the actual sound of the hounds baying, but more feedback for players is better than less, and from the pre-alpha footage there was at least scripted dialogue to notify that night was coming soon.

I'd personally like dialogue to be kept, at the very least descriptions of objects and entities in your environment/inventory. They add a lot of flavor and taking them out for multiplayer chat would make me sad. D:

I dunno, I think the warnings are really useful, so is the actual sound of the hounds baying, but more feedback for players is better than less, and from the pre-alpha footage there was at least scripted dialogue to notify that night was coming soon.

I'd personally like dialogue to be kept, at the very least descriptions of objects and entities in your environment/inventory. They add a lot of flavor and taking them out for multiplayer chat would make me sad. D:

It´s actually pretty necessary now that you put it like that. Maybe they could go in some kind of order in which the characters says there piece of dialogue. Everyone at the same with all of they´re instruments is going to make eras bleed.

It's actually funny to imagine this. Wickerbottom won't be the only one who can't sleep,on hounds night.

But it's way better to have an orchestra than risking staying away from the group and be attacked without warning. (It's a nice remember for some people)

What i am worrying about is how to defend from them. If every character gets a wave for himself, then a group will have to build a massive amount of traps. Imagine a hound attack after day 100 with 4 players, fighting against 40 hounds will be insane.

It's actually funny to imagine this. Wickerbottom won't be the only one who can't sleep,on hounds night.

But it's way better to have an orchestra than risking staying away from the group and be attacked without warning. (It's a nice remember for some people)

What i am worrying about is how to defend from them. If every character gets a wave for himself, then a group will have to build a massive amount of traps. Imagine a hound attack after day 100 with 4 players, fighting against 40 hounds will be insane.

Maybe the wave hounds will be specially halved in count but doubled in strenght and loot (and fire :p)

Personally I look forward to the orchestra. 

Also there should be hounds spawned for each player.  So if there are like 5 players all hanging out together there will be like 50 hounds :p  But if there is some limit to PC resources from so many hounds then I guess it should just spawn vargs/giants along with a few hounds so that there would be less hounds on screen at the same time.   

It should pick one character at-a time to say their line for an incoming hound wave.

Example: Hound attack incoming in 120 seconds and x characters get to say a thing every x seconds.

Characters chosen (going from a vanilla server with 1 of each character)
Characters chosen

-Wilson

-WX-78

-Woodie

-Wendy

Order characters say an approaching hound wave:

-Wendy

-WX-78

-Wilson

-Woodie

That the best option in my opinion. :D

The hounds should go after one individual player, as many hounds do in real life and that makes so that you'd better stay with your friends. Also PLEASE DONT INCREASE THE HOUND SPAM EVEN MORE! ITS ALREADY RIDICULOUS AFTER A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF DAYS, I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO TURTLE AT MY BASE IN MULTIPLAYER TOO!

The hounds should go after one individual player, as many hounds do in real life and that makes so that you'd better stay with your friends. Also PLEASE DONT INCREASE THE HOUND SPAM EVEN MORE! ITS ALREADY RIDICULOUS AFTER A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF DAYS, I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO TURTLE AT MY BASE IN MULTIPLAYER TOO!

You mean, seperating the waves entirely and making them appear every day? I'm not fan of that idea.

Personally I look forward to the orchestra. 

Also there should be hounds spawned for each player.  So if there are like 5 players all hanging out together there will be like 50 hounds :razz:  But if there is some limit to PC resources from so many hounds then I guess it should just spawn vargs/giants along with a few hounds so that there would be less hounds on screen at the same time.   

I'm in agreement with the idea that Vargs should be spawned during hound attacks in multiplayer, it would keep the encounter challenging without having to overload the screen with hounds. I'm also for the idea that the hounds are stronger, and maybe drop a little more loot than usual, but don't have quite so many numbers as we've speculated.

I would love to see a massive attack of like, 20 hounds tops, but even at that number it might get a little too excessive, especially if the hounds got distracted by one person and started chasing solely after them. That player would be as good as dead if they messed up even once, taking all the hitstun from even just 10 of the 20 hounds. No log suit and you'd be as good as dead no matter who you were. XD

But yeah, maybe by day 100 there'd be 2 or 3 Vargs spawning at a time with each attack. That'd send in a fair amount of smaller hounds, with three larger entities that the team would have to take on in a group (or lure to a pig village for extra backup) to conquer. I like the idea that even with 4 other people, you still have to rely on the environment's assistance sometimes to avoid disaster, that's a large part of Don't Starve's spirit, I'd like to see it keep its challenge even when multiple players are able to cooperate to survive. That said, if some want to play as loners (like Webber with his inclination towards spiders) he should be able to do that as well without being too harshly punished by whatever buffs the game's aggressive mobs might receive.

or they could just make it so that the waves happen at the same time, but each player gets his own amount of hounds attacking him, so that it doesn't get too hard on lone players and doesn't get too hard on grouped players(actually, it does, but setting up a base and panick room is much faster when there's 4 players playing together)

or they could just make it so that the waves happen at the same time, but each player gets his own amount of hounds attacking him, so that it doesn't get too hard on lone players and doesn't get too hard on grouped players(actually, it does, but setting up a base and panick room is much faster when there's 4 players playing together)

You missed the initial point though... Please edit your post

EDIT: like this

Archived