Anyone else find Depth Worms to be OP?

I really dont like how powerful depth worms are and I find them rather unbalanced and here is why.

• They have 900 health each and they do 75 damage per hit. 
  • Eventually you will get to a point where up to 6 of them will spawn every 3 days so 6X900 = 5400 health worth of depth worms. (more than twice the health as deerclops and the ancient guardian, almost twice the health of dragonfly, bearger and Goose/Moose and not to mention that because there can be up to 6 of them so 75 damage per hit by 6 enemies as opposed to one single giant that attacks with usually a large delay between attacks. Also they respawn every 3 days unlike giants that only sometimes spawn once every season.
  • Not only that but tooth traps are nearly useless against them. I believe they cant be put to sleep (not sure about being frozen. 
  • almost impossible to kit because they simply go underground after an attack they come out again only exposing themselves long enough to attack you. 
  • No matter if you have the strongest armour in the game fighting 6 depth worms will very likely completely destroy that armour and you in almost no time. 

The only way to deal with them is basically find another OP mob in the game (Rock lobsters) Because for the most part rock lobsters are virtually indestructible. And if there are no rock lobsters nearby well then tough luck for you just run as there is nothing else you can do. 

The reason I find them OP is there is no real counter. As powerful as giants are there are multiple ways to kill them. when Depth worms come in large groups there is nothing you can do besides run.

Suggested nerfs 

• lower their health to 600 and damage to 50
  • And/or only allow 4 of them to ever be able to spawn at once. 
  • or after they attack make it so their is a larger delay before they go under again giving you a chance to kite them.
  • make moggles last longer as glow berries are not easy to get and it spoils relatively quickly so obtaining fuel is more trouble than its worth

Not sure if everyone feels the same as me I just find them irritating and seeing as its the only way to obtain glow berries to fuel moggles (which only lasts a couple of minutes) it makes them unnecessarily tedious to try kill. 

I find it infinitely easier to kill a giant than 6 depth worms. 

depth worms are soooo easy, kiting is very powerfull and you don't have to fight them....

not when there are 6 of them. killing them is necessary for glow berries to fuel moggles. and constantly having to run away when they spawn is a little irritating.

just don't go to the caves. it's like : aww, night is so irritating, we should put moon light to help us!

Thats completely different night has easy counters. build a fire to name but one. Going into caves and ruins is necessary for getting late game items like houndius shootius, ancient gear and rock mining after your surface world runs out.

• Eventually you will get to a point where up to 6 of them will spawn every 3 days

Get over it. Just make a log suit and football helmet, and bring a couple pigs and lobsters. Done.

That's fine when you're dealing with a few depth worms, but won't do when you're dealing with situations as described by the OP in later game.

I don't necessarily agree that they should be nerfed, as I like a challenge and prefer to find strategies to deal with them, but I don't think there's any need to just dismiss their arguments as if they're being moany about nothing.

Nope.

Just make sure you use a mixture of kiting, being well equipped and followers.

I do admit I do not like 3 day timers on waves, that's why we changed wave timers in our mod. They get harder, much harder than the normal waves, but I gave a decent buffer of time between each wave.

Get over it. Just make a log suit and football helmet, and bring a couple pigs and lobsters. Done.

Dark sword+night armour. Got destroyed withing a minute. I can easily kill any giant no problem depth worms are the only thing that I find trouble with and I find it unbalanced not difficult there is a difference.

Like I said the amount of preperation and gear needed to deal with them is not worth it when the will simply respawn again after 3 days. They are nothing more than a Nuisance. At least make them drop more useful loot. Glow berries only fuel moggles for a few minutes and it spoils quickly so it just makes them annoying to kill. Giants are powerful but they are fun to deal with depth worms are no fun at all when they come every 6 days and are so difficult to kill in their large groups.

There have been posts about the depth worms in the past and they were not changed. I personally think they are fine like they are right now. Never had any issues dealing with them in any of my playthroughs even past hundreds of days.They are pretty easy to deal with early game (you can manage to kill 3 at the same time on your own with some practice).

When there are many, you have somes options:

1) run, but obviously that wont give you glowberries and they will go into lurk mode somewhere in the cave

2) run for a while until some of them stop chasing and some others are still chasing (ideally, a number you can deal with). Rinse and repeat until they are all dead.

3) get some help! bunnymen can help you fight these things, but the easiest way to deal with them is the rocklobsters. By the time you reach 6 worms in a wave, there should be a lot of rocklobsters in your cave. Either lure the worms near rocklobsters and they will eventually aggro them, or befriend lobsters and order them to attack the worms.

Hope that helps!

Dark sword+night armour. Got destroyed withing a minute. I can easily kill any giant no problem depth worms are the only thing that I find trouble with and I find it unbalanced not difficult there is a difference.

Well then I hate to break it to you but your a noob. Why didn't you bring teenbirds and lobsters? I can deal with depth worms in mere seconds. BUt then again, I'm wearing thulecite...

Well then I hate to break it to you but your a noob. Why didn't you bring teenbirds and lobsters? I can deal with depth worms in mere seconds. BUt then again, I'm wearing thulecite...

Lol let me send you screen shots of my worlds and my bases then you tell me I'm a noob. 

I've been doing some thinking and you know what I think deerclops should spawn every 3 days seeing as though he has less than half the health of 6 depth worms. and if you disagree with me then I hate to break it to you but you are a noob because I can deal with deerclops along with all the other giants in seconds with no problem. 

Thats essentially your approach to what I am saying...

Just because you enjoy going into caves and wasting resources like thelocite armour and going through all that effort of collecting tallbird eggs, hatching them and raising them just to kill some worms that will respawn in 3 days anyway does not mean the rest of us enjoy it. I enjoy killing giants because you are rewarded by rare loot and they dont harass you once every 3 days. Don't simply dismiss what I have to say and call me a noob just because I dont find it fun being constantly attacked by depth worms.

I think depth worms are pretty good as they are. They are intended to have you run unless you are prepared for combating them.

Also, they agro on anything, so running past some rock lobsters effectively freezes both parties until you attack the worms. Then the lobsters come out and fight, drawing the worms attention back away from you.

I don't go to caves a lot, just to make a lantern early on, mostly to conquer the ruins, and rarely to grab some light bulbs really quickly to fuel my lantern.

As far as I remember glow berries aren't stack-able.

They are now.

Was that needed?

Yes, they stack now. 

Lol let me send you screen shots of my worlds and my bases then you tell me I'm a noob. 

I've been doing some thinking and you know what I think deerclops should spawn every 3 days seeing as though he has less than half the health of 6 depth worms. and if you disagree with me then I hate to break it to you but you are a noob because I can deal with deerclops along with all the other giants in seconds with no problem. 

Thats essentially your approach to what I am saying...

Just because you enjoy going into caves and wasting resources like thelocite armour and going through all that effort of collecting tallbird eggs, hatching them and raising them just to kill some worms that will respawn in 3 days anyway does not mean the rest of us enjoy it. I enjoy killing giants because you are rewarded by rare loot and they dont harass you once every 3 days. Don't simply dismiss what I have to say and call me a noob just because I dont find it fun being constantly attacked by depth worms.

Look, I'm not questioning anybody's veteran status, but is it POSSIBLE you are a cave/ruins newbie Spyro? Heck, I am mostly. I have no trouble admitting that. 

But even if somebody is or is not, can we please use TACTFUL words to describe why you think so and EVIDENCE to support "better" methods?

Yes, like Beefalo, you can run off other worms until you can solo fight them, or bring friends. Fighting them as a swarm however is as "foolish" as just walking up and hitting a spider in a tier 3 den web, and wondering why they all kill you or  the same reason you don't stand in a Beefalo heard and start swinging (unless you're Wigfrid :razz:) . Either take them out one at a time, use allies, or use tanking methods like Marble/Thulecite armor if you fail to do the other two methods. 

Yes, they stack now. 

Look, I'm not questioning anybody's veteran status, but is it POSSIBLE you are a cave/ruins newbie Spyro? Heck, I am mostly. I have no trouble admitting that. 

But even if somebody is or is not, can we please use TACTFUL words to describe why you think so and EVIDENCE to support "better" methods?

Yes, like Beefalo, you can run off other worms until you can solo fight them, or bring friends. Fighting them as a swarm however is as "foolish" as just walking up and hitting a spider in a tier 3 den web, and wondering why they all kill you or  the same reason you don't stand in a Beefalo heard and start swinging (unless you're Wigfrid :razz:) . Either take them out one at a time, use allies, or use tanking methods like Marble/Thulecite armor if you fail to do the other two methods. 

the main reason I say they are  OP is combined they have so much health and for a respawn rate of 3 days. 3 days is nothing... You go through all that effort to kill all of them then 3 days later boom  they come again. Its just harassment. It becomes a chore and something that is just frustrating. think of it like this when you kill a giant you are satisfied when you finally get rid of all the depth worms and collect their berries all I can think of is sigh 3 more days and then I got to do all this again. Unless I can of course find rock lobsters but unfortunately the cave I am busy with has very few rock lobsters and I destroyed all my bunny hutches to take them to the surface. 

Archived