Wes can't talk...

What do you think?   

119 members have voted

1. 1. How can he communicate with others?

• He has many emotions, such as : I'm hungry, I'm friendly etc. he's a mime after all...
    • He can write somehow.
    • He can talk
    • He can't talk at all.
    • None of these above.

If he actually can't communicate at the same level as the other characters, that just puts people off from playing him. And encourages other things like skype and steam chat more.

Last fireside chat I believe they talked about working on emotes for the characters, I don't know if they're going to give Wes more or not.

I don't really want them to give Wes a voice though, just make the text appear above his head. For all we know he could be telepathic anyway.

Maybe he can communicate in sign language, when u writin' something, he do corresponding (i'm not sure about this word) animation and letters apperas above Wes.

Wes is meant to be "hard mode", so I don't think he should be changed at all. He can't speak. Deal with it.

People can use TS/mumble/skype etc if they want to anyway.

I agree, making Wes talk would defeat the purpose of the character.

I agree, making Wes talk would defeat the purpose of the character.

Seeing how multiplayer is defeating the purpose of the whole game, I'm afraid they'll give Wes a way to talk.

I hope not.

He is a mime and so he should stay.

Ahhh I never thought of this! That's a really interesting idea. Yeah, I don't think he should be able to talk, if you're on a server and a random Wes player comes on, it's supposed to be difficult to deal with him right? 
I really hope he stays silent, keeps it interesting. 

also...

Last fireside chat I believe they talked about working on emotes for the characters, I don't know if they're going to give Wes more or not.

SQUEEEEEEE

Seeing how multiplayer is defeating the purpose of the whole game, I'm afraid they'll give Wes a way to talk.

I hope not.

He is a mime and so he should stay.

Not sure how DST defeat the purpose of the game. It's still about surviving, but surviving together, right ?

I hope DST won't be easier in multiplayer mode (if that's what you implied)... And if it becomes a too easy game I will be happy to have a hard mode char to play with in multiplayer (but let's not that happen please :'( ).

Wes is a hard mode character in solo game, and he will entirely fit as a hard mode character for multi player game too. What can be harder than no talking in a cooperative game ? :-)

(and anyway like others said teamspeak and co will do the job...)

Why shouldn't he stay ?

Altough, I would love specific emotes only for Wes to be a bit appealing to play for everyone.

Wes, should "borrow" the big Maxwell head to talk.

That just gave me a stupidly dumb idea, what if when someone wanted to talk as Wes he'd pull out a small Maxwell doll and used it to talk, like a ventriloquist? So Wes I'd have to stay in place in order to talk using the doll(he's supposed to be hard anyways) and would show how Wes displeased Maxwell(maybe)... Just a stupid randon thought.

Maybe Wes players are stuck in their pantomime animation longer for every word written, so they'd be encouraged to only type important aspects of what they need to communicate? Or maybe he'll have a radial wheel of phrases to indicate if he's peaceful or if he's hungry or going crazy, if he's addressing another player or referring to himself, probably too much work in the animation department. Some interesting ideas on this thread though.

I'd rather he have SOME form of communication rather than none. Maybe he can inflate big balloons with one or two words of text entered onto them, which pop after a couple seconds, potentially damaging himself or others! They could have the same sanity damaging effect as his normal balloons as well. Does anybody like that idea at all? XD If not balloons, how about holding out Wile E. Coyote-style sign posts like this? :wickerbottomthanks:

Might be a waste of papyrus if he had to use one every time he wanted to say something. There's lots of other stuff all players on a server would want to use reeds for, so if this were the method they used for communication with Wes, it'd be better if he could craft something with multiple uses, just to not be so resource-intensive for sake of a chat option for him.

Archived