Help! Trap!

Is that right? You can deactivate it? Crapple. I was playing with Wes yesterday. I got a little greedy in the swamp and died a slow, horrific death to a ninja tentacle near the end of winter. My touchstone was next to a trap. I opened it cause I'd freeze to death before getting my stuff back. Back to back winter. Now I'll know to deactivate first! Thanks for the heads up.

I don't know where people got this "deactivate" thing. A trap-based on the clothes you find-will activate summer or winter the next day when you open/destroy the chest. The ice box can be freely used without triggering the trap. Giants spawn normally based on the Summer/Winter chance per day. While likely, there is no guarantee they will spawn in that season. 

Most people prepare for both seasons (since you can't say which trap is which) and open the chest up on the first day of summer/winter, making the seasons' cycle (since it activates the next day) one day later.

You then face a (full cycle) season the trap is based on-Summer or Winter-with your appropriate gear. If you forgot to make things like a Siesta-Lean-to or enough (either type) Pits then that's your fault, not the trap's. 

I don't know where people got this "deactivate" thing. A trap-based on the clothes you find-will activate summer or winter the next day when you open/destroy the chest. The ice box can be freely used without triggering the trap. Giants spawn normally based on the Summer/Winter chance per day. While likely, there is no guarantee they will spawn in that season.

Most people prepare for both seasons (since you can't say which trap is which) and open the chest up on the first day of summer/winter, making the seasons' cycle (since it activates the next day) one day later.

You then face a (full cycle) season the trap is based on-Summer or Winter-with your appropriate gear. If you forgot to make things like a Siesta-Lean-to or enough (either type) Pits then that's your fault, not the trap's.

Okay, now you confused me. I wanna know how the trap really works now from the devs, cause when I looked in the trailer and wiki the last time, the trap gets triggered if you open the chest and you instantly get season change with a giant and when I opened the ice box, the trap was not triggered when I opened the chest afterwards. I am so confused now. Someone call a developer to explain to us how the trap works and how it should work cause I was the last one who edited the Set piece section of DS wiki.

ok so i got to the code and find the truth!!!

Hall & Luya!

In fact, when you open the chest, it triggers :

-Instant winter

- makes precipitations(snow)

-makes the SOUND of the deerclops

that's all....(same for the summer trap but without precipitations)

and for summer, the icebox activate the trap too.

and there is a second winter trap that you can find into the deciduous forest

Okay, now you confused me. I wanna know how the trap really works now from the devs, cause when I looked in the trailer and wiki the last time, the trap gets triggered if you open the chest and you instantly get season change with a giant and when I opened the ice box, the trap was not triggered when I opened the chest afterwards. I am so confused now. Someone call a developer to explain to us how the trap works and how it should work cause I was the last one who edited the Set piece section of DS wiki.

Apologies if my wording was confusing and it was not clear the CHEST AND NOT ICE BOX triggers the trap. 

Apologies if my wording was confusing and it was not clear the CHEST AND NOT ICE BOX triggers the trap.

It looks like you went tl;dr for my post cause I know the chest triggers the trap. What I want to know is this:

Does the trap get deactivated if you open the ice box first?

It looks like you went tl;dr for my post cause I know the chest triggers the trap. What I want to know is this:

Does the trap get deactivated if you open the ice box first?

NO. That's why I've said you could freely use the Ice Box of the Summer/Winter Trap, but anytime you use or hammer the chest, it  triggers the trap. 

NO. That's why I've said you could freely use the Ice Box of the Summer/Winter Trap, but anytime you use or hammer the chest, it  triggers the trap. 

:/  have you even read my post? i said that the icebox of the summer trp triggers the trap too.

:/  have you even read my post? i said that the icebox of the summer trp triggers the trap too.

Did you ever open, hammer or otherwise interact (deconstruction staff for example) with the chest, and ONLY opened the Ice Box first? Did you confirm others were having this as well? Because the intent is the ice box is NOT supposed to trigger the trap. I had never had the ice box trigger the events of the season change, but I only saw the summer one once, (and that was before I got the latest hotfix.)

However, from the wiki:

The set piece can be deactivated, however, by opening the Ice box before opening the Chest. Hammering the Ice box will provide the same deactivation. Currently in Reign of Giants the set piece contains a bug, where even on deactivation, it will look like the player has triggered the trap, but the difference would be that the sound of Deerclops would only be heard once and he wouldn't actually spawn

Now it's not clear if the trap is supposed to have been "deactivatable" per the update, or somebody thought it was and wasn't (I was told this; apologies if I am in error,) or if it looks like it was triggered but it wasn't (or only works in winter this way.) Since there's no way to see what season it is until opening it, it's hard to "save scrum" it for future testing.  

I would recommend if you confirm opening the ice box and ONLY the ice box triggers a season change, to report it here

And if any mods are reading this, can you confirm whether or not this trap is intended to be disarmed or not?  None of the RoG version notes that I found-reading all the way back to February-ever mention this one way or another. 

ok so i got to the code and find the truth!!!

Hall & Luya!

In fact, when you open the chest, it triggers :

-Instant winter

- makes precipitations(snow)

-makes the SOUND of the deerclops

that's all....(same for the summer trap but without precipitations)

and for summer, the icebox activate the trap too.

and there is a second winter trap that you can find into the deciduous forest

no you doesn't have read my post :/

i said i read the code...and i what i saw was a lot different...

You state the CHEST triggers the trap. But you said the SUMMER one is the Icebox. Please post the LUA code that shows the ice Box summer trigger/deactivation and where it differentiates from the winter trigger general trap. Last trap i did also happened the next day (but that was just before the last hotfix so now it may be instant.)

If not saying that, please carefully explain things in your post, and stop saying I am not reading your posts.  

Until I hear from a dev or am explicitly shown the LUA code showing trap deactivation, I will treat this as the trap is triggered by the chest (and maybe icebox) with no chance of deactivation . However, development is my weak point and I gladly could have missed seeing this.

The wiki is only as good as its users and that bit of info is not referenced with any proof (footnotes.) I also spent twenty minutes going over every RoG update and hotfix back to the first release revision listed just to make sure. The revision notes also never ever listed the Trap trigger change in this manner or was included in something so vague, i never would have thought it was grouped in. 

but i told you that i have read the code, they're never talked about deactivation(and me too).

winter trap :

local function triggertrap(inst, scenariorunner)
    inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("dontstarve/creatures/deerclops/distant")
    GetWorld().components.seasonmanager:StartWinter()
    GetWorld().components.seasonmanager:Advance()
    GetWorld().components.seasonmanager:ForcePrecip()
where do you see the deactivation or the spawn of the deerclops? NAH! 
summer trap:

{
        item = "firestaff",
        count = 1,
        chance = 0.33
    },
    {
        item = "cutgrass",
        count = 40,
        chance = 0.66
    },
    {
        item = "nitre",
        count = 40,
        chance = 0.66
    },
    {
        item = "rocks",
        count = 20,
        chance = 0.66
    },
    {
        item = "umbrella",
        count = 1,
        chance = 0.66
    },
    {
        item = "reflectivevest",
        count = 1,
        chance = 0.8
    },
    {
        item = "pickaxe",
        count = 1
    },
}

if not GetPlayer().summertrapped then
        inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("dontstarve_DLC001/creatures/dragonfly/distant")
        GetWorld().components.seasonmanager:StartSummer()
        GetPlayer().summertrapped = true
    else
        return true
    end
end
 same but WITHOUT PRECIPITATIONS(what i said before  :mad-new: )

and the icebox :
chestfunctions = require("scenarios/chestfunctions")
local loot =
{
    {
        item = "ice",
        count = 15,
        chance = 0.4
    },
    {
        item = "petals",
        count = 20,
        chance = 0.66
    },
    {
        item = "watermelon",
        count = 1,
        chance = 0.8
    },
}

if not GetPlayer().summertrapped then
        inst.SoundEmitter:PlaySound("dontstarve_DLC001/creatures/dragonfly/distant")
        GetWorld().components.seasonmanager:StartSummer()
        GetPlayer().summertrapped = true
    else
        return true
    end
It drives me mad that no one listened about what i have said !!!

The way I look at this, is that it's a TRAP! There might be a way to deactivate it, there might not be.

The whole point is that it's part of the game. Sometimes it would be great to be able to deactivate it but that takes away from the intent of the trap. If your not ready for what could happen, let it be until you are ready for it.

Archived