How to know if you're ready?

After near 400 days of survival and have probably all landmass (I have a habit of travelling at the corner so that I can know 'the end' first) explored, I want to try going into Maxwell's Door but still got haunted by my first ever chapter which happens to be King of Winter ._. Frost bite is never so scary like the ones in that chapter.

How do you guys know if you are ready to play Adventure mode? Because now being a person with mental condition (won't specify here), I am always skeptical of every tiny thing in life. Games included.

You won't know till you try! If you've got 400 days under your belt (I'm guessing not consecutive though?) I bet you've dealt with a lot. It might still take a few tries to get through it all though, adventure mode throws a lot of surprises at you.

When I first started with Adventure Mode, I just kept restarting (dying on purpose) till I got either Archipelago or The Game's Afoot since I think they're both easier.  And even when I didn't die on purpose it must have taken me about 100 attempts before I finally finished - it took me over a year, but it was an amazing sense of achievement when I finally finished. 

Try not to mind too much each time you die, but learn from it.  That way you get used to what to expect as well.   I think King of Winter is the hardest, but if it's not your first one at least you can take some things with you to help.

Good luck with it!

Dude, then go for it! That's hard to do! I bet you'll be fine in adventure mode. 

Quite frankly, after one ingame year (one summer and winter passed) you've pretty much won the world anyway.

But yeah, you won't know if you can do adventure mode if you never really put effort into trying it.

I seem to struggle a lot when it comes to Adventure Mode. The King of Winter chapter to be precise. Because I love snow, Don't Starve grants my wish by choosing this as my first map every time I tried. I think I just don't get a grasp of how to survive on "sudden winter" yet. I play Wilson so I'm used to his magnificent beard.

Quite frankly, after one ingame year (one summer and winter passed) you've pretty much won the world anyway.

But yeah, you won't know if you can do adventure mode if you never really put effort into trying it.

Hi!

Although I tend to agree with you , that the first winter is the hardest, the truth is that the game actually scales in difficulty (mostly via hound attacks) until about day 100 - if you survive that, then you have a good chance of surviving indefinitely. I tend to get that far, start caving, and die. Yes, everyone. I die, in the caves. Yes, I wait until about day 100 until I do it. I just feel not really ready until then. I've only got to day 150 a couple of times, so lemme alone, k?>

Hi!

Although I tend to agree with you , that the first winter is the hardest, the truth is that the game actually scales in difficulty (mostly via hound attacks) until about day 100 - if you survive that, then you have a good chance of surviving indefinitely. I tend to get that far, start caving, and die. Yes, everyone. I die, in the caves. Yes, I wait until about day 100 until I do it. I just feel not really ready until then. I've only got to day 150 a couple of times, so lemme alone, k?>

I know all that, but come on, hounds are no threat at all. Good bonus source of more monster meat, and they can kill various things for you though. I benefit more from hounds than they threat me.

I know all that, but come on, hounds are no threat at all. Good bonus source of more monster meat, and they can kill various things for you though. I benefit more from hounds than they threat me.

Come back after 125+ game days with 8 hounds per attack and mention how it's easy for "many users." It's not. Personally, i hate the tooth drop rate and had to rely on blue hound for teeth. At least RoG now makes more hound mounds so I get teeth for tooth traps/sewing kits (yes, destroying the mounds drops teeth folks.) 

I've gotten to the final level of Adventure Mode 3 times.... All 3 times I die in some ridiculously lame manner because I forget about something trivial, mostly because I'm sooo stressed and freaked out over all the pressure lol.

I swear I'm going to throw a party when I finally beat it.

I've gotten to the final level of Adventure Mode 3 times.... All 3 times I die in some ridiculously lame manner because I forget about something trivial, mostly because I'm sooo stressed and freaked out over all the pressure lol.

I swear I'm going to throw a party when I finally beat it.

My Maxwell's already invited, but I have to wait until I find Wes to invite him too. 

I've played adventure mode quite a bit, and I'm actually best at King of Winter. I've tried almost all the characters, and Willow is my favorite choice. Her infinite lighter is fantastic when you want to warm yourself up, and she can get past obelisks easily since she has low sanity. Not only that, but you can replace it easily just by being near a roaring fire. It's saved me more than once.

As for the rest of adventure mode, have her wear a top hat. It's especially useful in the last level, because if she's wearing that and is near a fire, she doesn't lose any sanity at night. And when you aren't using an item, have the lighter equipped. 

Maybe, but I find their habit of attacking right after I get ganked by a Deerclops somewhat 'annoying'. I'm usually still resetting my toothtraps, on dusk, (SO glad those things don't burn)  when the hounds announce.

I actually build a special forest for the Deerclops now (I don't play RoG yet) for him to follow me around in and wake up some Treeguards. "gg" [good game], Deerclops. See you next winter. But about being no threat, they are another thing to prepare for, like everything in the game. If you prepare for it, you can defeat it, and you can benefit from it's spoils.

About Adventure mode. If you die in Adventure mode (Maxwells door) you just get planted straght back outside the door, it won't kill your whole game, so it's kind-of safe tp play it as meany times as you want to. Like everything else in Don't Starve, it''s about the exploration and the learning, so feel free to give it a go!

Maybe, but I find their habit of attacking right after I get ganked by a Deerclops somewhat 'annoying'. I'm usually still resetting my toothtraps, on dusk, (SO glad those things don't burn)  when the hounds announce.

Funny,

I normally get attacked by Deerclops just after I'm attacked by 8 hounds and I'm not at my base to grab stuff before i run off to have him fight elsewhere. (and I'm soon going to start freezing.) 

Archived