Werebeaver 2 fast. That could cause some problems.

EDIT - Also consider this for any character that could be faster than others. I think Wilson has a higher movement speed than someone like Wolfgang, for example.

I think it should be important to keep the Werebeaver a very powerful tool for Woodie, but the extra movement speed may have to go. Or at least have some way of being held back in the face of other players.

Not being able to run away too well when fighting something like hounds, or giants is fine, because the ai just stops in place for a second, plays their attack animation, and then continues chasing. You have time to dodge and create a bit of distance between you and the threat

But when it comes to other players with faster speed, they could try running AHEAD of you to start attacking, instead of doing what the AI does, which is to just attack the moment it detects that its in range.

If Werebeaver Woodie can move faster, and attack faster than other players, running will never be an option without resulting in death, and the player won't likely be able to fight back either.

I don't know if Klei has any other plans for the Werebeaver, but I think nerfing his movement speed, or attack animation speed when attacking other players might be a good change to look at.

I think it's actually kind of interesting if the werebeaver doesn't necessarily work "well" with the other players. It's not like he's tame or anything! It might be interesting if he has a low sanity aura too, and kind of scares the others. Basically, he'll be good for the aftermath of what he leaves behind, but they don't want to be around him like that.
Just what I hope will happen...

Maybe I'm not quite understanding, but doesn't that kind of change the point of playing different characters? If some of the characters move faster, or if you have something like the walking stick, that just means your strategy changes. Why would you want to make the characters the same...? 

about the edit, if I'm not horribly wrong(again :p), all the characters have the same walking speed, except for wolfgang, who is slightly faster when mighty, and WX-78 with the overload.
I'm at mixed thoughts about the Beaver, though. It should really be something to strike fear into the hearts of the players and make them try to think of alternative ways of killing it/running away from it(walking cane or zigzaging or even forest fires). On the other hand having someone hunting down people and forcing themselves into beaver mode and doing the strategy you mentioned seems to be a horrible experience.
but in the end, I don't think reducing the speed a little wouldn't hurt the fear of the Werebeaver.

Maybe I'm not quite understanding, but doesn't that kind of change the point of playing different characters? If some of the characters move faster, or if you have something like the walking stick, that just means your strategy changes. Why would you want to make the characters the same...? 

It's about avoiding confrontation.

Having a Walking stick is fine, because you have to wait until winter to get one, and that means other players have a LOT of time to prepare if they find other players.

But the Werebeaver is something available a the beginning of the game, and Its also the only time a character is both faster, and stronger than other players without the use of a movement enhancer.

It isn't at all making the characters the same. I choose Woodie for his fast chopping speed, and the ability to fall back on the Werebeaver if needed. Others choose Wendy because of Abigail's stun lock, or her reduction in sanity loss. Or Wickerbottom for her quick start into the world. Or maybe even if they just like the character's personality (hell, that seems to be the main reason people play Wilson, the beard is just an extra bonus for some).

People will choose other characters because they change the way they survive in the world, not for how well they can murder every other player. Yet, it is an important trait to consider when choosing a character. Not priority though.

I looked into it, and I can't find any evidence towards characters moving faster than others, so that's something I didn't realize.

Cept for the Werebeaver, which moves like 4 time faster than other characters, attacks strongly, and can easily replenish his health with tree's and stuff. He is THE best combat character in the beginning of the game. No crafting needed. No rare resource needed. Hell, even Wendy has to wait for awhile til Abigail's flower is ready.

Im just asking to tone down a bit of that power, possibly only against other players. It isn't about removing a part of Woodie, or making any character the same (Which I have no idea how you thought that's what I said...), its just about tuning his OP beaver form in the face of other players.

How about: Werebeaver form can't attack other players unless attacked first.

Bit of a klunky fudge, but the tranche of characters were never designed with multiplayer/PvP in mind, so some sort of fudge/fix will be required in order to maintain some semblance of balance.

Honestly, it should stay normal.  If your woodie, than having a werebeaver form has so many advantages.  I don't think its right to num it down just so the other players can run away.  Woodie in werebeaver form has a hide that absorbs 80% of damage, and attack equivalent to a tentacle spike.  It is Don't Starve together, you must let the players use each others talents to help survive in the harsh lands.  Some People will be trolls and kill you, but trolls will always try to kill you.  WereBeaver woodie, is supposed to be fast, strong, and tough to beat.  Its just not fair to have a slower woodie.  Maxwell can summon shadow hims that can act as an army,  Willow has a lighter that never runs out and can burn everything down, Wes has explosive balloons he can spam, and Wilson . . . is just Wilson.  

Honestly, it should stay normal.  If your woodie, than having a werebeaver form has so many advantages.  I don't think its right to num it down just so the other players can run away.  Woodie in werebeaver form has a hide that absorbs 80% of damage, and attack equivalent to a tentacle spike.  It is Don't Starve together, you must let the players use each others talents to help survive in the harsh lands.  Some People will be trolls and kill you, but trolls will always try to kill you.  WereBeaver woodie, is supposed to be fast, strong, and tough to beat.  Its just not fair to have a slower woodie.  Maxwell can summon shadow hims that can act as an army,  Willow has a lighter that never runs out and can burn everything down, Wes has explosive balloons he can spam, and Wilson . . . is just Wilson.  

But Woodie is the only one that can use his power right away, and for minimal costs. Excluding Willow (Because how are you going to kill someone with fire damage?)

Maxwell loses his max sanity, and requires 2 nightmare fuel per clone. Yes, he starts off with some nightmare fuel, but the clones are still easy to kill, and don't move as fast as the Werebeaver.

And Wes has to make each balloon individually, costing 5 sanity each. One balloon does 1 damage, which can only activate if someone pops it, and is in close range of the balloon.

Wolfgang needs a lot of food first to make his power activate, Webber needs to find more spiders nests and meat to get spiders to help him.

Wigfrid may be the only other one that has strong killing potentially at the beginning, but she doesn't have any more movement speed than other characters.

Wigfrid may be the only other one that has strong killing potentially at the beginning, but she doesn't have any more movement speed than other characters.

Maxwell would have strong killing potential too. Starts with the strongest melee weapon in the game and armor that absorbs 95% damage. He could kill Woodie in his werebeaver form with two Dark Sword hits implying he gets close enough.

Maxwell would have strong killing potential too. Starts with the strongest melee weapon in the game and armor that absorbs 95% damage. He could kill Woodie in his werebeaver form with two Dark Sword hits implying he gets close enough.

****, yeah, forgot about Max's starting sword and armor. That kind changes things

But Woodie is the only one that can use his power right away, and for minimal costs. 

I see what you mean, but it's hardly "minimal cost". One wrong move, if he gets K.O.'d, and he's reallllly near death.  

Also, if you're on a server where people are just running around trying to kill each other, I don't know how fun that'd be as the game is hard enough already XD

If you only need a troll to ruin a server, you will get one. Who wants to play WarZ Together?

BTW, most unarmed characters would die to 2 blow darts (3 for Wigfrid and mighty Wolfgang). Player killing should be strongly discouraged through some in-game mechanisms.

But Woodie is the only one that can use his power right away, and for minimal costs. Excluding Willow (Because how are you going to kill someone with fire damage?)

Maxwell loses his max sanity, and requires 2 nightmare fuel per clone. Yes, he starts off with some nightmare fuel, but the clones are still easy to kill, and don't move as fast as the Werebeaver.

And Wes has to make each balloon individually, costing 5 sanity each. One balloon does 1 damage, which can only activate if someone pops it, and is in close range of the balloon.

Wolfgang needs a lot of food first to make his power activate, Webber needs to find more spiders nests and meat to get spiders to help him.

Willow could light the basecamp on fire, or set the forest on fire that you are in.  How could you NOT die by fire damage.  The clones can still be spammed at the start.  Not to mention he has a nightmare sword at the start.  Wes can spam the balloons.  Its only five sanity each, with on damage.  Wes has 150 sanity, and a balloon cost five, so he could make at most 30 balloons.  Lets say you were Wilson, that would do 30 damage at most.  Thats enough to hurt someone, and weaken them enough to be finished off. Wilson's beard can at least heat him through the winter. Wolfgang in full form can withstand a gunpowder explosion.  When Woodie finishes being a werebeaver, he has 50 health 50 sanity and 50 hungary, thats a big cost to me, when his normal stats are Sanity 200

Health 150 Hunger 150.  

Willow could light the basecamp on fire, or set the forest on fire that you are in.  How could you NOT die by fire damage.  The clones can still be spammed at the start.  Not to mention he has a nightmare sword at the start.  Wes can spam the balloons.  Its only five sanity each, with on damage.  Wes has 150 sanity, and a balloon cost five, so he could make at most 30 balloons.  Lets say you were Wilson, that would do 30 damage at most.  Thats enough to hurt someone, and weaken them enough to be finished off. Wilson's beard can at least heat him through the winter. Wolfgang in full form can withstand a gunpowder explosion.  When Woodie finishes being a werebeaver, he has 50 health 50 sanity and 50 hungary, thats a big cost to me, when his normal stats are Sanity 200

Health 150 Hunger 150.  

KEVpP.png

KEVpP.png

There's a difference between griefing someones base, and killing them with fire.

Willow could light the basecamp on fire, or set the forest on fire that you are in.  How could you NOT die by fire damage.

By not standing near it. It's not very difficult, even in forests.

Player killing should be strongly discouraged through some in-game mechanisms.

Massive sanity drain (like nearly to the point of being attacked by nightmare creatures) and/or naughtiness increase? Killing another player could be either as bad or at least half as bad in terms of naughtiness points as killing Glommer, so by attacking other players, the attacker would be set upon by both Krampus and Shadow Creatures very quickly. Hopefully though Krampus would be a little more buffed than his current state, as he's honestly pretty weak as long as you've got a spear and even just a single piece of armor. In other words, Krampus would need to make even an early-game Wigfrid player think twice before considering player killing. The initial consequences would probably ward most players off from killing others senselessly, and if they continue they'd end up hopefully being driven away by Karma Krampus and his band of Shadow Sidekicks. :p

Of course, it would be best if this were an optional feature if people just straight up want to PvP without worrying about sanity and Krampus interrupting, so maybe it would be best left up to some kind of "Karma" option in the world/server generation settings.

There's a difference between griefing someones base, and killing them with fire.

By not standing near it. It's not very difficult, even in forests.

The Willow could have been accidently set something on fire.  I'm saying Willow has the power to set everything on fire without a torch.  Also Willow could have low sanity and set something on fire.  Another thing,  if you are in a thick forest, its hard to escape, or atleast thats just my opinion.  I find it hard when there are trees everywhere.  Than if Willow sets the base camp on fire, its a high chance the other players will have a hard time surviving until they get everything back.

well for anti pvp is fine but i realy want they leave him normal since you  have to stratagy go to a desert or swanp since there is hounds or tentacles there, and few trees then when he runs out of wood he will be very week and with no itens, the rest should be easy,dont starve is not a piece of cake so even when it comes down to pvp each chacrater will have to know how to couter another (unless you are wilson of course) and the players will be spread out i think to balanced all of this the berry hat should be avaliable at start to make you able to hide from early game chacraters and the torch you hold or any light wouldnt appear because it would make it usuless if you dont do that.

Aight, I guess most of the posts here had some good points, there can be a lot more to worry about than a rampant Werebeaver on the loose :p

Maybe Klei has plans, maybe they don't, and maybe they don't need to do individual character balancing at all. In an ideal world, no trolls will be playing Don't Starve multiplayer.

blah blah blah

Archived