[READ] A shocking don't starve theory with Maxwell in it

I've actually thought about this before! What if we, the players, are the shadows manipulating these poor characters into behaving as they do? We already know that they came into this world because of being manipulated, it's very possible they continue to be as we are watching our playthings from above.

It gets even more sinister than this, though -- not only can they not be free of us, but they feel compelled to stay in our view at all times aside from when sleeping in a tent. This is why the DS characters never build proper indoor shelter or even make an attempt to seize it from the existing inhabitants (i.e. pigs). The lure to being our plaything uninterrupted is so strong that they won't even build shelter as they're dying of winter exposure.

This is why being dapper also counteracts insanity. The higher the character's sanity, the more their ego hasn't been worn down by this world's incredibly hostile atmosphere. Any clothes or other things that make them feel proud or connected to their "self" slows the process of them being absorbed by the shadows. Maxwell being aware of us -- and acting more in a cooperation role -- is a major reason his sanity isn't worn down easily.

(I know this does beg the question of why the hallucinations would be hostile if they serve the player in some regard, but the truth is that sanity really has to hit rock bottom for that to be an issue. In a sense we are very much in control still, esp. if nightmare fuel farming. Just don't take your pet for long stretches underground unprepared.)

It does seem to me that the characters are talking to us directly in a sense.  If you direct a freshly shorn Wilson to use a razor, he says something along the lines of "But there's hardly any stubble left!"  He's not describing the razor, he's arguing with us about the necessity of using the thing.  Several of the things the characters say seem to make more sense if you take the perspective that they aren't talking to themselves, but to the creatures that control them,  That is to say, to us.

Did- Did...

Did a joke thread just become a conspiracy thread?

*head explodes*

XD I've actually thought about this before. It's similar to the sims games in a sense.

It makes sense if you think of it in a sims sense too.

We control the character's whole lives and to an extension their deaths. We can choose their environment. (In the start up menu for DS) and we can decide what they do. We dictate their every move. WE control them. This is for OUR entertainment.

Something else to note, though it's not as immediately obvious unless you're digging through the forum archives -- up until the end of Adventure Mode was released, Maxwell was being incredibly hyped as the Big Bad behind everything. There was at least one secret page on the main website, a sinister Wilson origin story video, people were really hyped to face off against Maxwell.

... and then when you meet him at the end of Adventure mode, look at the state he's in. Furthermore, it's uncertain just how much he had control over the environment that was threatening you. Surely he had some hand in how it was all arranged, but he never fought you personally. In other words, maybe Maxwell was only the villain because we wanted him to be the villain . Quite clearly the truth wasn't nearly so cut and dry.  (it was actually almost suspicious just how much he was being hyped)

One more bit of evidence points to the idea the player themselves are the "shadows" behind everything. Three words: "world generation options". Almost all the difficulty in the game exists because we allow it to exist. We have the remarkable ability to veto any part of it we don't want... even to the point of deciding how time, weather and seasons will behave and what creatures are allowed to be present -- something even Maxwell is occasionally surprised by on his examination quotes. This lays it out clear as day that we're the true masterminds of this story.

Maxwell quotes

Merm - "They were here before me"

Tallbird - "These were a failed experiment"

Goose/Moose - "I'm.. Not sure what this is"

Maxwell's a great example for when the character knows they're being watched. A lot of his quotes are directed to us. He's breaking the 4th wall to tell us, telling us what it does, perhaps some backstory and not just stating the description.

Archived