Could Klei please let us know what their stand on Rock Lobster is? Is it a bug, or intentional?

Hi.

There are so many threads about this Rock Lobster "Bug" on here it's almost funny. In fact, I have seen more mods fixing this in different ways than any other kind (except for character mods).

My question is a simple one;

Does Klei interpret Rock Lobster overpopulation as a bug, or is it an intentional mechanism? The reasons I ask;

• Because Maxwell makes an interesting comment about how he kept them in the caves because he found them problematic above ground. "I banished these guys down here for a reason."
  • Because it seems like there is a new thread about this every other week, and if it is an intentional thing, I think that it would be good to let us all know that.

If it's a bug, the best suggestion that I've heard thus far is to adjust their spawn points to act more like beehives or Hound Mounds, where they are visible and destructible, or to make them spawn slower, and "Die" of old age, becoming rocks again (although this would discourage the need to eventually travel into caves).

If it's meant to be the way it is, please put us out of our misery, and let us know that it's just another way to create misery. It identified as a bug on the Wiki

Please note:  I'd rather just have one conclusive post from a Dev/Designer/Klei member - unless that is hidden in another thread elsewhere, and then please point me to that. It would be nice to have an "official reply" to this anomaly, so that either it can be address as a bug, or threads can be pointed here, to an authoritative answer on a much talked about subject.

Here's a bug report that's been updated recently by Wade: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/31648-rock-lobsters-infestation/

As J20 mentioned, it's on their list of to-dos.. it's just been bumped down because of game-crashing bugs, game-functionality, and new projects. The over-population doesn't appear to be intentional, the notes in the code definitely imply that they intended to create a cap on Rock Lobsters.

Also, a modder created a fix for it in the interim if anyone would like to try it:

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=284898882&searchtext=rock+lobster

Standalone: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/831-rockyfix/

Here's a bug report that's been updated recently by Wade: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/31648-rock-lobsters-infestation/

As J20 mentioned, it's on their list of to-dos.. it's just been bumped down because of game-crashing bugs, game-functionality, and new projects. The over-population doesn't appear to be intentional, the notes in the code definitely imply that they intended to create a cap on Rock Lobsters.

Also, a modder created a fix for it in the interim if anyone would like to try it:

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=284898882&searchtext=rock+lobster

Standalone: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/831-rockyfix/

So they tended them to be vermin, but at a cap or governor?

One day then. 

Do rock lobsters keep spawning even when all the ones brought to the surface are killed or returned home? Because other wise I don't really think its too much of a problem :o

Yes, that's part of the issue. They create a new spawn point above ground and keep regenerating, even when all of them are killed or brought back down below ground.

It was a while back, but I remember seeing a post by someone who used map-reveal plus one of those mods that shows where all your creatures are (Where's My Beefalo? is one, but there's another). He used the console to hard-delete all the Rock Lobsters from his world, and they continued to show back up.

As others have posted, use the game fixing mod for now.

I use that one and the one that adds additional icons to the map (like beefalo, shrooms, etc).

I wonder how mods will conflict/work when DST comes out. Hm....

It might have been touched on in an earlier thread, so my apologies if this has already been answered or not...but im having some issues with the lobsters myself and I currently have 3 groups of them penned up behind stone walls (2 pens enclosing the entrances of the caves and one that has group that got near my base) can anyone let me know if this will keep them at bay or will they multiply so much within these pens that my game will crash?

It might have been touched on in an earlier thread, so my apologies if this has already been answered or not...but im having some issues with the lobsters myself and I currently have 3 groups of them penned up behind stone walls (2 pens enclosing the entrances of the caves and one that has group that got near my base) can anyone let me know if this will keep them at bay or will they multiply so much within these pens that my game will crash?

Never mind, im dumb and didn't read too far into the topics. Found the answer plain as day. -_-'

After some horrible mistakes which made my top-world...let's not go there...I'll just say if you have your followers penned in something they cannot immediately break out of and do it early, the population should be contained enough not to crash even a slow -running computer. 

Thanks for the reassurance. Each pen has 6 of them and its been a couple of days since I've seen any new ones spawn. Ive heard about how bad they can get and I just hit day 318 and Ill be damned if they take over. I hope Klei gets some time to address the bug.

Archived