[Crash]

Platform

• Steam
Version Number

-

Issue title

Error during initialization

Steps to reproduce

I attempt to start Don't Starve, but it is has a black screen, and an alert pops up saying "Error during initialization"

Describe your issue

Since the "Birds And The Bees & Dogs That Want To Kill You" update, my steam version hasn't been working. It would play a brief part of the menu music and then stop working, with the screen black all the time. The "Naughty And Nice" update made that stop happening. Now when the game starts it is windowed and black screened, and an alert pops up that says "Error during initialization" and when I click OK, it closes.

My Steam files are in my D drive, and there is no Don't Starve folder in common. Here are some of my system specs copied from the properties menu of my Computer link (The one that lets you go directly into the C drives and such):

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20 GHz 2.20GHz
Installed memory: 6.00 GB (5.87 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System.

#2 dadam

dadam

• 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:53 AM

Same Problem....
Want to play dont starve :(

#3 Tixeros7

Tixeros7

• 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

u can try going in to the Google web store and play Don't Starve for free hope this helped from
Tixeros7

#4 dadam

dadam

• 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:36 AM

I do not trust google ;D

#5 e722

e722

• 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

The same thing seem to be happening to me :/

#6 LadyD

LadyD
  • Imaginary Scientist

• 1782 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

1 -) Open the folder C: \ Program Files \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ dont_starve \ VCRedist and install vcredist_86x (or other name) (*86x for me but my pc is 64x*).

2 -) Open the folder C: \ Program Files \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ dont_starve \ DXRedist and install DXSETUP.

Echoing in from the past, never really gone but sometimes forgotten. 

#7 dadam

dadam

• 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:20 AM

1 -) Open the folder C: \ Program Files \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ dont_starve \ VCRedist and install vcredist_86x (or other name) (*86x for me but my pc is 64x*).

2 -) Open the folder C: \ Program Files \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ dont_starve \ DXRedist and install DXSETUP.

Thanks that helped... :)