The Official Wurder Character Mod

This is the official thread for my new custom character Wurder! Please let me know what you think or if you have any balance suggestions for him in the future. Thank you so much for your time and I hope you enjoy Wurder!

WURDERART2.png
(Thanks toTalmatityaho for this art!)

.::NEWS::.

Wurder will be playable as soon as I finish his textures - I will be releasing him on Steam and in the Mods section as Version 0.1

He won't have any mechanics implemented aside from maybe a slight speed boost - but he will be playable!

Wurder.png

.::ABOUT WURDER::.

I tried to stick to KLEI's level of balance, something interesting and different that I could ACTUALLY see them put into the game as a viable character. That people anywhere in the world playing Don't Starve would enjoy playing.

Backstory will be coming soon.

.::THE MECHANICS::.

• Wurder is a sentient scare-crow!
    Cool! His head is a wheat sack! What's with that little bowler hat?

• Has a Scythe!

Circular AoE Sweep Attack with a certain range, any grass/twigs/berry bushes or anything harvestable is going to drop on the floor making him hands down the most efficient farmer in the game, and also the only character with a basic ranged attack!

Seeing as how unique his scythe is going to be as a mechanic - I'm giving it upgrades to help Wurder in the long game! Every Scythe upgrade is based off a giant, you can only have one scythe so choose wisely!

• A scythe that harvests every cut grass/twig/fruit or veggie in the circular AoE and places the items into your inventory. Also nullifies fire weakness. (Dragonfly Scales) [Makes Wurder better at being Wurder!]

"Stupid machines, who's o-obsolete now!?"

• A scythe that has improved circular AoE sweep damage and attack speed. Also grants very slow passive health regeneration. (Deerclops Eye) [Hound attacks, Schmound attacks. Boss monsters with minions!? Nope!]

"It's moving and watching on it's own!"

• A scythe that doubles as a walking cane. Removes the slow debuff from eating grass! Circular AoE Sweep puts out fire, cools you off! (Goose/Moose Down Feathers) [Helps alot with Wurders most difficult season, and hey extra move-speed!]

"I'm glad I have a brain! I think..."

• A scythe that prevents sanity loss while equipped. (Bearger Fur) [Hunt any boss or scary monster without worrying about the side-effects! Darkness Smarkness as long as you have the fluffy comfort of this scythe!]

"I miss Teddy." 

IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS RELATED TO BALANCE PLEASE MAKE ME AWARE!

Also I'm getting help from the absolutely WONDERFUL @Vivalavie in doing the Scythes art!
    One of the artists from Up & Away and the Hero in the Dark mods you can find at the top of the mod section! Show them love! I know I will for helping me with this! (We want that little wing there to flap on the dragonfly scythe)

Scythe.png

• Acts like a living bird cage!
    Feed him fruit/veg! He'll give you seeds! Wickerbottom is a living science machine! Why cant I be a living bird cage!? Literally?

• You can now eat Grass!
    Eating Grass gives you 10 Temporary HP that acts as a shield on-top of your current HP up to a Cap.
    Eating Grass also bloats Wurder up! Making him move slower.
    Grass also now gives 1 Hunger!
    In a pinch? Chew some grass!
    (This ability does not work with grass made materials such as rope, only grass.)

• Can only eat fruit/vegetables and eggs!
    Meat is yuck!

• Takes extra damage from fire! 50% - 100%?
    Who knows! I'll find out during testing!

As of right now I have no idea what his base Hunger/Sanity/Health should be - this would need to be determined by testing.

His placeholder spread will be 175 Health 150 Hunger 125 Sanity - as time goes on we shall see.

.::THE ART::.

http://s16.postimg.org/f82gs2f1x/WURDERART1.jpg

http://s16.postimg.org/sdmkbwyb9/WURDERART2.png

.::THE DIALOGUE::.

.::FEEDBACK SECTION::.

Please let me know how you feel about any of the following!

--Q1: ARE HIS BENEFITS TO STRONG? WILL HE NEED ANOTHER DOWNSIDE?

I am leaning more towards the second choice.

Fire scares the living daylights out of Wurder!
This could make nights very difficult, however with the added boon of gaining boosted sanity from picking flowers (Say 10 as opposed to 5) this could be solved - and could push players more towards finding a bees nest and rushing a bug catchers net ASAP unlike any other character in Don't Starve. Very unique indeed.

--Q2: WOULD YOU PLAY AS WURDER IN DST?

What makes him an asset to a party?
Why would you want him in your group?

.::CREDITS&THANKS::.
In no particular order

The Letter W - For being a Candian, and also helping me with Art/References! WOOT
Zomsabra and Dictator - For Ideas and also support!
Pololokka - Ideas about a Scythe!
TheScientist112 - Support!
Talmatityaho - For ART! Thanks!
Vivalavie - For ART! Thanks!
Ninaiso - Support!
Dryicefox - I'm not gonna use the accordion!
Mobbster - Ideas and Support!

If I miss anyone LET ME KNOW!!!!!

He should take rain damage too. :-)

Actually not a bad idea. Could be a better way instead of making him get more soaked or stay soaked for longer. I like this. 

I feel like this is something that WX-78 already does and to keep flavour up we would need Wurder to stay in his own category. On top of that, waddling through the rain stuffing grass in your face with low movespeed as you slowly die till your grass runs out would really suck!

Actually not a bad idea. Could be a better way instead of making him get more soaked or stay soaked for longer. I like this. 

I feel like this is something that WX-78 already does and to keep flavour up we would need Wurder to stay in his own category. On top of that, waddling through the rain stuffing grass in your face with low movespeed as you slowly die till your grass runs out would really suck!

Maybe give his own tab with a custom healing item.

Grass + Rope + Sticks.

If you don't want him to take rain damage, maybe he loses more Sanity under the rain and near fires. (Fear of disassembling/burning lol). To counter this he could gain more sanity while picking flowers and using his wooden stake.

Should he be able to attract birds near him?

That's the opposite of what a scarecrow do.

Maybe give his own tab with a custom healing item.

Grass + Rope + Sticks.

If you don't want him to take rain damage, maybe he loses more Sanity under the rain and near fires. (Fear of disassembling/burning lol). To counter this he could gain more sanity while picking flowers and using his wooden stake.

That's the opposite of what a scarecrow do.

That idea of losing sanity near fires is a VERY Good idea. I will keep that in consideration. Since he already heats up, gets cold, and gets wet faster than the other characters the sanity loss from being wet is enough if you dont prepare for the rain. *Doodles down ideas quickly.*

More sanity while picking flowers is also a very good idea! It sure would assist his motif of dealing with bees and butterflies and other more positive creatures nature has to offer.

OH YEA....BECAUSE SCARECROWS ARE MEANT TO KEEP THE CROWS AWAY........ *Picture of Donkey fades in* XD

Actually, in Wurders original design the very first concept I had for him was a very dedicated bird user. I scribbled down how he could possibly attack or use these birds to his advantage.

Where do you think those birds got all their seeds from in the first place? Perhaps the Ruins far beneath the earth were fed by the endless armies of scarecrow on the surface - tending to the fields and being masters of the birds. This is why he has a special connection with birds and also seeds in some way. He would be quite fond of birds, despite being intended to scare them away. (Where do you think he gets the seeds from when he eats?)

I like that kind of odd oxymoron characterization.

I want to see the art!  :willow:

THE ART IS DONE, GAZE UPON THE GLORIOUS GLORY OF GLORY!

His head does look kind of like a baseball but come on it was stitched together!

If you're curious to what he's wearing, he sports a tiny bowler hat, has two straws of wheat sticking out the back of his head, a dress shirt with a loose tie, suspenders and a pair of cheap slacks. He also wears boots.

THE ART IS DONE, GAZE UPON THE GLORIOUS GLORY OF GLORY!

His head does look kind of like a baseball but come on it was stitched together!

If you're curious to what he's wearing, he sports a tiny bowler hat, has two straws of wheat sticking out the back of his head, a dress shirt with a loose tie, suspenders and a pair of cheap slacks. He also wears boots.

I thought that he would be cuter... =p

I thought that he would be cuter... =p

He thinks he's pretty. Poor thing.

I could make a version of him that doesnt have such a messed up face which is really a flat wheat sack with eyes but I like him better all stitched up!

He thinks he's pretty. Poor thing.

I could make a version of him that doesnt have such a messed up face which is really a flat wheat sack with eyes but I like him better all stitched up!

If he thinks he's pretty, that's what matters! people(or scarecrows) should be happy with themselves, and not be happy by being what people think of them(philosophy class in the forum). anyway, do you know when it will be ready to play?

I'm sad to say, Absolutely not - though I will be posting more art and progress reports as production goes on under the "Progress" section - once the first playable build is ready.

I am a perfectionist, and these things will take a bit of time - though I hope you like it!

Just one thing he will have custom items? It would be cool if he had, like a scythe or something, I can't give much ideas, but custom items are always cool stuff

Wurder's custom item is the Wooden Stake, that acts as a Berry Bush Hat from the very start of the game allowing you to avoid hostile mobs that aren't already on your trail such as any Giants that may be in the area, a spider queen, the works.

I was considering giving him like some kind of vicious attack from the traditional scarecrow Pose like he grabs whatever is underneath him and then stabs it with roots or barbed sticks from his hands - then I decided that he's better played as a coward. Though coding it so crows may come down and sit on him when he's in the scarecrow pose that you could unfreeze and then kill would be cool and true to the character!

Concerning the Scythe

I also thought about a Scythe and then I thought about the practical use of a scythe in a game like Don't Starve, and there are only two reasons you would need one - that's to farm stuff (especially grass) and to kill stuff (Not his game-plan). Since he can stretch his arms rapidly and rip up grass and twigs within an instant... You know.

Since a Scythe can do an AoE Sweep (I don't know if you're ever stood in the middle of a bunch of Grass Bushes in link to the past then done the circle slash) It may be more useful than I thought, though I imagine it'd be a bit difficult to code. I'd have to look into how the Clockwork Rook or Giants destroy things when they touch them - then apply that code to the scythe specifically for grass.

Let me give some quick stats for the Scythe:

• Crafted with 4 Twigs, 1 Rope and 1 Flint
  • Is not equippable, but has durability A La the Pan Flute
  • Has 5 Uses (100%, 80% etc etc)
  • Stand in the center of a grass field
  • Right click the Scythe and Wurder will spin around
  • Every Blade of Grass that was up, will now be cut you just need to pick the grass up!

The reason why this wouldnt work so well is that - it takes more work, and on top of that you would need to pick up all the grass off the ground anyways. I could make it so once chopped by the scythe all the grass flies into your inventory but really I think a Scarecrow with WHIP FISTS that can harvest grass every 0.4 seconds or so from anywhere in the middle of a grassy field makes a harvesting scythe obsolete as he is the scythe.

Oh snap you just gave me the idea that Wurder has a scythe blade in each forearm, explaining how he's able to cut/harvest things from that far away.

Wurder's custom item is the Wooden Stake, that acts as a Berry Bush Hat from the very start of the game allowing you to avoid hostile mobs that aren't already on your trail such as any Giants that may be in the area, a spider queen, the works.

I was considering giving him like some kind of vicious attack from the traditional scarecrow Pose like he grabs whatever is underneath him and then stabs it with roots or barbed sticks from his hands - then I decided that he's better played as a coward. Though coding it so crows may come down and sit on him when he's in the scarecrow pose that you could unfreeze and then kill would be cool and true to the character!

Concerning the Scythe

I also thought about a Scythe and then I thought about the practical use of a scythe in a game like Don't Starve, and there are only two reasons you would need one - that's to farm stuff (especially grass) and to kill stuff (Not his game-plan). Since he can stretch his arms rapidly and rip up grass and twigs within an instant... You know.

Since a Scythe can do an AoE Sweep (I don't know if you're ever stood in the middle of a bunch of Grass Bushes in link to the past then done the circle slash) It may be more useful than I thought, though I imagine it'd be a bit difficult to code. I'd have to look into how the Clockwork Rook or Giants destroy things when they touch them - then apply that code to the scythe specifically for grass.

Let me give some quick stats for the Scythe:

• Crafted with 4 Twigs, 1 Rope and 1 Flint
  • Is not equippable, but has durability A La the Pan Flute
  • Has 5 Uses (100%, 80% etc etc)
  • Stand in the center of a grass field
  • Right click the Scythe and Wurder will spin around
  • Every Blade of Grass that was up, will now be cut you just need to pick the grass up!

The reason why this wouldnt work so well is that - it takes more work, and on top of that you would need to pick up all the grass off the ground anyways. I could make it so once chopped by the scythe all the grass flies into your inventory but really I think a Scarecrow with WHIP FISTS that can harvest grass every 0.4 seconds or so from anywhere in the middle of a grassy field makes a harvesting scythe obsolete as he is the scythe.

Oh snap you just gave me the idea that Wurder has a scythe blade in each forearm, explaining how he's able to cut/harvest things from that far away.

i think a scythe will be a neat addition but i think in should be more expensive

because its kind of getting to the level of late game things.

now about the art, i can only make the art that dose not involve tex (i find Tex annoying to use and i never made it work for me...)

i think a scythe will be a neat addition but i think in should be more expensive

because its kind of getting to the level of late game things.

now about the art, i can only make the art that dose not involve tex (i find Tex annoying to use and i never made it work for me...)

If I make it more expensive I'd have to give it more late game use, such as making it an actual viable weapon that only he can build, which has the secondary use of being able to harvest grass more quickly. That's not a bad idea though.

Would it be better to have the Stretchy arms or the Scythe?

Also send me whatever art you can! I'll try to use it : )

If I make it more expensive I'd have to give it more late game use, such as making it an actual viable weapon that only he can build, which has the secondary use of being able to harvest grass more quickly. That's not a bad idea though.

I like the idea of a Scythe.

mmmmm i think the scythe idea better 

WELL THEN IM MAKING IT A SCYTHE!

Should I keep the wooden stake and just make it the item he gets from the very beginning?

I'm saving that stretchy arms idea for my second character though!

Archived