How Don't Starve together will be...together

So, i've had a thought on my mind about DST and how it will work. I was thinking that in order to make Don't Starve Together really together, there should be three different methods. One method would be through a single internet connection. The second method would be through server hosting, which would allow anyone to join. The last method is through just inviting your friends to play without having to host a server, which would allow the people who have a lesser knowledge on how to make a server to still be able to experience the "togetherness", so to speak. Tell me if you agree or disagree with this post, and if developers read this, then would the third options be plausible, or is the plan to only have server hosting as a way to play DST?

probably will if the server owner doesn't know how to properly port forward.

Hamachi doesn't even work on my computer. I've spent hours trying to fix it, but I can't. Unless you want to teach me how to forward ports, there's no easy way to do so XP

Hamachi doesn't even work on my computer. I've spent hours trying to fix it, but I can't. Unless you want to teach me how to forward ports, there's no easy way to do so XP

It's a guessing game for me...or rather I have to relearn every time I do it because I don't do it often enough to remember. Plus I have a dynamic IP. so when I want to host a server, I just mess around with things until it works.

but as far as you connecting to a server, you shouldn't have to worry about port forwarding, only the one who makes the server.

Co-Op.

Edit: Option 3 is kinda pointless since you're forgetting the LAN thing so basically [if anyone knows what I'm talking about] think about how Terraria servers work. Sorry for not answering your question.

The only difference between option 3 and 1 is that in option 1 you are required to be connected to the same internet. This means that the connection would be much faster than that of option 3 but option three allows you to just invite friends over steam, so the connection would be slower but it would allow people who don't know how to port-forward or do not want to use hamachi or do not want to connect to the same internet to be able to still be able to use this extension. So option 1 and two is like Terraria, Risk Of Rain, etc. and option 3 is like Monaco, Battleblock Theater, Dungeon Defenders.

If you don't know how to forward ports, hamachi probably does work on your computer. If you ever want help with that kind of thing though, I'll teamviewer you.

Archived