penalty for dying to much in don't starve?

We will all sooner or later die in don't starve.

after all that is kind of what the game centers on ( besides don't starving). you try not to starve and survive, but if you fail you learn from your mistakes and try again, hoping that this attempt will be successful ( not like there is any form of succeeding in don't starve as you can't really "win" it).

but then there are ways to get passed the inconvenience of death....touch stones, meat effigies and life giving amulets. With these you can jump into a battle with a spider queen with no armor and your fists ( yes you can actually punch in don't starve) without giving a bubkiss as you'll just come back to life to do the same foolish act over and over and over again.

But lets say there was a penalty for dying to much. How would one feel If you angered the thing that controls the status as you keep defying it and that it came to punish you? What do think....about fighting death him/her/it self?

Here Is how it goes, lets say you die 3-5 times on the same game file  but you keep coming back to life. After the 3rd or 5th death, you will spawn in a monster ( which is death) that would hunt you down and try to successfully take away your life.

This could be considered a very harsh punishment to scare players into not just going into dangerous conditions  unprepared . This could also scare people into not abusing the cheat death cards the game throws at you once in a while.

( and yes I know that when you die your overall HP Is permanently lowered to some point but then yet with the right characters you can still die a lot...like with Wolfgang or something. Plus maybe there is someway to regain the portion of health that is taken away from you...)

There already is a death penalty, mate. Meat effigies take a percentage of your over-all health after every death. So you may begin with 150 health but after a meat effigy usage you would only have 130 health that cannot be regenerated. If you use a bunch of meat effigies than you will eventually die permanently. Fun idea though =D

There already is a death penalty, mate. Meat effigies take a percentage of your over-all health after every death. So you may begin with 150 health but after a meat effigy usage you would only have 130 health that cannot be regenerated. If you use a bunch of meat effigies than you will eventually die permanently. Fun idea though =D

I don't think that's correct. I believe one constructed meat effigy lowers your health by 30 points, and only after you die and use that effigy, will you regain those reserved 30 health points.

I don't think that's correct. I believe one constructed meat effigy lowers your health by 30 points, and only after you die and use that effigy, will you regain those reserved 30 health points.

Oh, really? Woops, sorry for the false information. I don't usually survive long enough to use meat effigies so I was just basing my info off of what I read on the wiki a few months ago, I probably skewed it on accident.

So you don't really have to worry about your HP and how many times you die as you'll just regain the HP you sacrificed to make that meat effigy when you die.

This is abuse-worthy, no?

So you don't really have to worry about your HP and how many times you die as you'll just regain the HP you sacrificed to make that meat effigy when you die.

This is abuse-worthy, no?

you need beard hair and magic tier to do it...not everyone play as wilson so please...

But lets say there was a penalty for dying to much. How would one feel If you angered the thing that controls the status as you keep defying it and that it came to punish you? What do think....about fighting death him/her/it self?

Here Is how it goes, lets say you die 3-5 times on the same game file  but you keep coming back to life. After the 3rd or 5th death, you will spawn in a monster ( which is death) that would hunt you down and try to successfully take away your life.

This could be considered a very harsh punishment to scare players into not just going into dangerous conditions  unprepared . This could also scare people into not abusing the cheat death cards the game throws at you once in a while.

I really like this idea! It helps keep permadeath real and adds a new challenge.

you need beard hair and magic tier to do it...not everyone play as wilson so please...

You do know that you can hunt beardlings and beardlords for beard hair. and since they respawn...you can kind of get unlimited beard hair to make meat effigies.

Might be a harder feat but then in the end you still get the same thing. so yeah....you don't have to play as Wilson to get it.

in some cases you can even spawn in a meat effigy if you really don't like dying in don't starve.

Ahhh, yes please! The game, at least in Vanilla always got a bit choppy and easy once life respawns become a plentiful source--being chased around by Charlie (the night monster) as an occurrence after 10 deaths or something would be awesome! It would give players a stronger incentive to not die even though they have a meat effigy, a stone thingy, and a red necklace to lope around their neck.

I don't like 'this' idea of a certain number of deaths and then you're screwed-screwed idea.

Sure, sure, having ways to come back to life does make the game a lot easier.

I am down with the idea of a special monster that comes along when you've died so many times though.  I 'death' per-say, but something special, sure.  Something you could actually defeat, some how, of course.  Something that gives you a reward (or at least has a random chance of dropping a nice reward).

However, right now as someone who's only been playing for a few months, I can tell you that I've died quite a bit even with the ability to respawn.  I've finally learned to leave myself what I call "bug-out kits" near the touch stones and meat-effigies... The thing is, every time I die I have to go through the process of recreating a new effigy, and a new bug-out kit, and its rather time consuming and daunting.  When the safety net is gone, everything gets scary again and I have to walk on egg shells until I get another respawn built.

Its not easy collecting beard hair as willow and others, and then collecting the items for a new bug-out kit... I mean, sure if you've got a base established and you've been alive for 1,000 days, you may already have like 10 meat-effigies or something (max is 4, I know... or 5 if you want to get technical)...

I would agree If you clarified if that if you Killed Death he would not comeback until you died again. I think that if you die and Death does spawn then from that point on Death will spawn each time you die but if you kill him maybe he'll get you next time. I enjoy this idea.

Are you suggesting I cheat?

Well,my answer is yes and no .

Mods are something that makes you more convinience ,and It will make you feel easier.

This topic asked about "Dying penalty in Don't Starve is too much,"but other people didn't feel in that way ,someone might felt in that way though ,and I honestly don't think Klei will change their mind for Perma Death option.

So i was suggesting that there is mod that you will delete a Perma-Death option and it will make you feel more comfortable for what you want,and try to understand that Mods are not cheat but it's a helper that change the game features that what you really need.

It's not like you have a maximum hp , But It's only help you change the game client in the way that you deserve.

Damn it. I already had a plan for this.

The idea was that a scarecrow on a stake would hop up to your fire pit during the night while the player is there and then do nothing. This means it's seen you and/or is coming. After 2 or three days, as soon as it changes to the evening the player will hear extremely heavy footsteps in the distance and the "Reaper" or "Harvester" will then spawn.

He'll walk up to the player slowly with his massive legs and feet (In dress shoes.) Impossible to see above the waist by the player. Once he reaches the player, he will squat down bending his legs till he is eye level with the player, tilt his head and then start summoning hay walls to try and trap the player inside an area - after which it will do a two armed sweep inside the area doing a large amount of damage - and all the hay walls will break. (Don't get caught.)

If you try to leave the area where he is it will start to get extremely dark, his eyes will glow and become distorted and no light sources will work. Good luck fighting this thing! Be careful when you use meat effigies touch stones or otherwise - it's waiting for you.

I was also considering having this thing show up on the final stage of adventure mode but that seems a bit harsh.

Thanks for reading.

Damn it. I already had a plan for this.

The idea was that a scarecrow on a stake would hop up to your fire pit during the night while the player is there and then do nothing. This means it's seen you and/or is coming. After 2 or three days, as soon as it changes to the evening the player will hear extremely heavy footsteps in the distance and the "Reaper" or "Harvester" will then spawn.

He'll walk up to the player slowly with his massive legs and feet (In dress shoes.) Impossible to see above the waist by the player. Once he reaches the player, he will squat down bending his legs till he is eye level with the player, tilt his head and then start summoning hay walls to try and trap the player inside an area - after which it will do a two armed sweep inside the area doing a large amount of damage - and all the hay walls will break. (Don't get caught.)

If you try to leave the area where he is it will start to get extremely dark, his eyes will glow and become distorted and no light sources will work. Good luck fighting this thing! Be careful when you use meat effigies touch stones or otherwise - it's waiting for you.

I was also considering having this thing show up on the final stage of adventure mode but that seems a bit harsh.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks, now I can't sleep anymore in this life time

Well,my answer is yes and no .

Mods are something that makes you more convinience ,and It will make you feel easier.

This topic asked about "Dying penalty in Don't Starve is too much,"but other people didn't feel in that way ,someone might felt in that way though ,and I honestly don't think Klei will change their mind for Perma Death option.

So i was suggesting that there is mod that you will delete a Perma-Death option and it will make you feel more comfortable for what you want,and try to understand that Mods are not cheat but it's a helper that change the game features that what you really need.

It's not like you have a maximum hp , But It's only help you change the game client in the way that you deserve.

I was just teasing, but forgot that 'tone' doesn't carry well in text. :)

I have no problem with people playing the game in a way that they enjoy... I just hope things don't get changed in the game actual, that will ruin or make it enjoyable for me.  - It may be selfish to hope that way, but I'm human and that's where I stand. :p:)

Archived