Unlocking characters in Don't Starve Together

Don't Starve Together characters  

356 members have voted

1. 1. Should all characters be automatically unlocked in Don't Starve Together?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should unlocked characters in Don't Starve Together be available to use in Don't Starve Vanilla?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should unlocked characters from Don't Starve Vanilla carry into Don't Starve Together?

• Yes
    • No

PLEASE READ ALL THE EDITS, THIS CAN GET CONFUSING VERY QUICKLY

Hot question(s) of the day!

If a new player wanted to play Don't Starve Together, it's obvious they will only have Wilson available, so does that mean we could have potentially more than one Wilson on the same server if playing with strangers?

If a new player only wanted to play Don't Starve Together, does that mean they are stuck as playing Wilson forever or should they be able to unlock new characters as they play Don't Starve Together?

Please vote and share your thoughts. Thanks.

Edit 1: Right now we don't know if Klei will allow us to use the same character as someone else for the same server. I personally don't mind if there are four Wilson running around. Wilson is the default character with no really game breaking advantages or disadvantages, it might make more sense to allow players to not have the choice to pick a "used already" unlockable character due to the perks they have, but again I'm not too bothered about that as well. If you think otherwise let us know. But don't forget to VOTE.

Edit 2: Both options are dependent on Don't Starve vanilla. So if you unlocked characters from Don't Starve vanilla they will be freely available for YOU in Don't Starve Together. If you haven't unlocked any characters from Don't Starve vanilla then you can only play as Wilson in Don't Starve Together. So basically that means all the new comers will actually be forced to play as Wilson in Don't Starve Together.

Edit 3: Should unlocked characters in singleplayer be freely available for us in multiplayer, or should both singleplayer and multiplayer be two separate modes entirely and you must go through the whole process of unlocking everyone together with others as a team in multiplayer? What if someone new to game wants to play multiplayer and has never player single player before. So he/she hasn't unlocked anyone yet. Does that mean they will never unlock a character by playing Don't Starve Together? Would a good solution to this be that any character you unlocked in Don't Starve singleplayer should be freely available to us for multiplayer, but any new characters we unlock in multiplayer can't be used in singleplayer? Fair?

Edit 4: I think the easy way out is to have everyone start from scratch in Don't Starve Together and unlock all the characters again. Think about it, people are arguing that we don't want 4 Wilson running around in multiplayer, all the new players, who haven't played singleplayer will only have Wilson unlocked so are you tell me they shouldn't play Don't Starve Together until they unlocked more characters?

Edit 5: Think about the new players when voting. Do you think anyone new to Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together should have all the characters unlocked? It would be fair that we all unlock characters again for multiplayer to avoid any differentiation between new players and the long time players. It would be unfair if new players couldn't play multiplayer until they unlocked everyone from singleplayer. So personally singleplayer and multiplayer should be two separate modes and neither should affect the other.

I didn't expect I would be the first one to vote (he he he...). To think that I would have to unlock all the characters AGAIN seems a waste of time, plus one probably can't unlock maxwell or wes that way. What could be a solution is to have different multiplayer stats for the characters, or just comeplete new characters, or both. But that's just my point of view

I don't get it, people complain about "multiply of the same character".

So what now? If I will play first time with other people who play first time We will have few Wilsons?

Get your stuff TOGETHER.

I don't feel that players should have to deal with either of these choices.

Players should be able to play Don't Starve Together with the characters they've unlocked through single-player, I also think you should only be able to unlock Maxwell and Wes through single player, it just seems right to keep Adventure Mode single player otherwise there will be a lot of changes needed for Adventure Mode (Obelisk for example)

@Rononon thanks for sharing your opinion. Please don't forget to vote.

Edit: I've removed your double post. And edited your new post to have your quote separate to you saying you quoted. You should have the option to edit on the bottom right of the comment you just made.

@Rononon thanks for sharing your opinion. Please don't forget to vote.

Edit: I've removed your double post. And edited your new post to have your quote separate to you saying you quoted. You should have the option to edit on the bottom right of the comment you just made.

Thank you I fixed it, didn't see the option earlier for some reason.

Also I think there needs to be a third option, "Allow players to play with the characters they've already unlocked."

Unless that's what you mean by the "Yes. I don't want to unlock everyone again I've done that in Don't Starve already."

It seems that you mean all characters should be freely available for Don't Starve Together without the effort of unlocking them, which i disagree with.

Thank you I fixed it, didn't see the option earlier for some reason.

Also I think there needs to be a third option, "Allow players to play with the characters they've already unlocked."

Unless that's what you mean by the "Yes. I don't want to unlock everyone again I've done that in Don't Starve already."

It seems that you mean all characters should be freely available for Don't Starve Together without the effort of unlocking them, which i disagree with.

If you want to unlock everyone then vote for option No.

If you want to unlock everyone then vote for option No.

That's also an issue for me, I really don't want to have to unlock characters separately for both Multiplayer and Singleplayer.

I feel once you've unlocked them they should be unlocked for your account all together, but I don't feel people who haven't unlocked them yet should get them for free just for multiplayer.

Option No seems to state that you have to start unlocking the characters all over again just for Multiplayer, that they won't carry over from the singleplayer game.

Players should be able to play Don't Starve Together with the characters they've unlocked through single-player, I also think you should only be able to unlock Maxwell and Wes through single player, it just seems right to keep Adventure Mode single player otherwise there will be a lot of changes needed for Adventure Mode (Obelisk for example)

I couldn't have said it better. But I'm not gonna vote on the poll because I'd vote for the wrong thing. :indecisiveness:

EDIT: kk, voted now... :p

That's also an issue for me, I really don't want to have to unlock characters separately for both Multiplayer and Singleplayer.

I feel once you've unlocked them they should be unlocked for your account all together, but I don't feel people who haven't unlocked them yet should get them for free just for multiplayer.

Option No seems to state that you have to start unlocking the characters all over again just for Multiplayer, that they won't carry over from the singleplayer game.

Ok what would a third option be then? Because it's fairly obvious someone who hasn't unlocked all the characters from Don't Starve vanilla wouldn't have all the characters unlocked for Don't Starve Together, that's why I'm not including that option (mainly because I don't know how to word something as obvious that).

You should be voting based on your own experience, not others. The options couldn't be more obvious in my opinion.

Edit: Oops! I see the confusion now. Both options are dependent on Don't Starve vanilla. So if you unlocked characters from Don't Starve vanilla they will be freely available for YOU in Don't Starve Together. If you haven't unlocked any characters from Don't Starve vanilla then you can only play as Wilson in Don't Starve Together. So basically that means all the new comers will actually be forced to play as Wilson in Don't Starve Together.

Pretty much what has been said: People should be allowed to play with characters they unlocked.

Ā 

If anything, I think it should be impossible to unlock characters in multiplayer. That way, you would need to gain some experience in single player, on your own, in order to play with more characters. That also includes characters like Wes, Maxwell and Webber. They should only be unlockable in single player.

Ā 

I think playing ''high level'' characters (i.e. chracters that are unlocked with a lot of exp) should be earned on your own. I would hate to see a complete beginner survive because he is playing with an experienced player who does all the work and still get rewarded with new characters to play in the future.

I couldn't have said it better. But I'm not gonna vote on the poll because I'd vote for the wrong thing. :indecisiveness:

Pretty much what has been said: People should be allowed to play with characters they unlocked.

If anything, I think it should be impossible to unlock characters in multiplayer. That way, you would need to gain some experience in single player, on your own, in order to play with more characters. That also includes characters like Wes, Maxwell and Webber. They should only be unlockable in single player.

I think playing ''high level'' characters (i.e. chracters that are unlocked with a lot of exp) should be earned on your own. I would hate to see a complete beginner survive because he is playing with an experienced player who does all the work and still get rewarded with new characters to play in the future.

Please see Edit 2. Hopefully that clears up the confusion.

Edit: oh man you just made it even more confusing. So players shouldn't be allowed to unlock characters through Don't Starve Together? But that's kind of messed up. They should. JoeW said Don't Starve Together will be a separate experience to Don't Starve vanilla. So what if someone doesn't want to play Don't Starve vanilla, they're stuck will Wilson?

Who ever unlocked characters from Don't Starve vanilla keeps them over to Don't Starve Together. Who ever hasn't unlocked characters from Don't Starve vanilla can unlock characters from Don't Starve Together but those characters can't be used in vanilla.

Fair?

Please see Edit 2. Hopefully that clears up the confusion.

Ā 

Well, to be honest, there was no confusion for me. Characters from Wilson to Maxwell are unlockable in Vanilla Don't Starve (with or without RoG installed). That means they should be available to players who unlocked them in single player (wether they did it in Vanilla or with RoG installed). Wigfrid and Webber should be available in Don't Starve Together only if they have been unlocked in single player RoG.

Ā 

Furthermore, in my opinion, no character should be unlockable in Don't Starve Together (i.e. when playing multiplayer). They should only be unlockable in single player.

Well, to be honest, there was no confusion for me. Characters from Wilson to Maxwell are unlockable in Vanilla Don't Starve (with or without RoG installed). That means they should be available to players who unlocked them in single player (wether they did it in Vanilla or with RoG installed). Wigfrid and Webber should be available in Don't Starve Together only if they have been unlocked in single player RoG.

Ā 

Furthermore, in my opinion, no character should be unlockable in Don't Starve Together (i.e. when playing multiplayer). They should only be unlockable in single player.

I realised that after I quoted and then reread your post again. I made an edit to the first post I quoted you in.

Edit: oh man you just made it even more confusing. So players shouldn't be allowed to unlock characters through Don't Starve Together? But that's kind of messed up. They should. JoeW said Don't Starve Together will be a separate experience to Don't Starve vanilla. So what if someone doesn't want to play Don't Starve vanilla, they're stuck will Wilson?

Who ever unlocked characters from Don't Starve vanilla keeps them over to Don't Starve Together. Who ever hasn't unlocked characters from Don't Starve vanilla can unlock characters from Don't Starve Together but those characters can't be used in vanilla.

Fair?

Ā 

Well, unless it's a standalone DLC, it will still require Don't Starve (vanilla) to work. I don't know, I find it a bit unfair that characters would get unlocked through multiplayer where you don't really earn them on your own and you can just be ''leeching'' exp from experienced players.

Ā 

I guess your solution would be a decent one. Characters unlocked through multiplayer would be unusable in single player. I would still prefer if not ALL characters are unlockable in multiplayer, like Wes and Maxwell. Even Webber could be single player exclusive (i.e. all non-exp characters)! That would make it so there is a reward to play single player even if you prefer multiplayer.

Well, unless it's a standalone DLC, it will still require Don't Starve (vanilla) to work. I don't know, I find it a bit unfair that characters would get unlocked through multiplayer where you don't really earn them on your own and you can just be ''leeching'' exp from experienced players.

I guess your solution would be a decent one. Characters unlocked through multiplayer would be unusable in single player. I would still prefer if not ALL characters are unlockable in multiplayer, like Wes and Maxwell. Even Webber could be single player exclusive (i.e. all non-exp characters)! That would make it so there is a reward to play single player even if you prefer multiplayer.

I made a new edit 4. Could you check it out for me please.

Edit: thanks for checking mate. I'll leave it as it is then.

I have no issue with players unlocking characters through multiplayer, other than Maxwell/Wes/Webber, I believe those three could make it extremely confusing.

Adventure Mode would need some balancing/tweeking to still be a challange for multiplayer imo, which brings up the question, can you use the "Thing" machine in DST, and how would it work?

And Webber, will his item drop in multiplayer? If so will it unlock the character for everyone in the server/world when used?

I feel like the probability of the ability to unlock characters in multiplayer is most unlikely, Does everyone have to die and the world have to end entirely for the players to get experience towards the next character? If so do players that were active in the server/world but not on when the world ended get experience?

I think it's too much for Klei to take on right now, it'd probably be smart to leave the character unlocking to singleplayer and have it carry over to multiplayer.

If they don't do the above, they're most likely going to have all characters unlocked for the players automatically, without the player even having to participate in singleplayer first. (I dislike this, but it is possible they will go with this option)

(These are not my suggestions, just the only options I see that would fit the games mechanics)

I have no issue with players unlocking characters through multiplayer, other than Maxwell/Wes/Webber, I believe those three could make it extremely confusing.

Adventure Mode would need some balancing/tweeking to still be a challange for multiplayer imo, which brings up the question, can you use the "Thing" machine in DST, and how would it work?

And Webber, will his item drop in multiplayer? If so will it unlock the character for everyone in the server/world when used?

I feel like the probability of the ability to unlock characters in multiplayer is most unlikely, Does everyone have to die and the world have to end entirely for the players to get experience towards the next character? If so do players that were active in the server/world but not on when the world ended get experience?

I think it's too much for Klei to take on right now, it'd probably be smart to leave the character unlocking to singleplayer and have it carry over to multiplayer.

If they don't do the above, they're most likely going to have all characters unlocked for the players automatically, without the player even having to participate in singleplayer first. (I dislike this, but it is possible they will go with this option)

(These are not my suggestions, just the only options I see that would fit the games mechanics)

My edit 4 sort of agrees with this. Ok I'm going to answer this with the idea that characters in Don't Starve singleplayer cannot be used in Don't Starve multiplayer. You have to unlock characters in multiplayer to use them in multiplayer and you have to unlock characters in singleplayer to use them in singleplayer. Both modes are separate and don't relate to each other. Edit: Otherwise like you said, anyone new to Don't Starve shouldn't have every character unlocked for multiplayer if they haven't unlocked them in singleplayer. So it's best we unlock them from scratch in multiplayer to avoid any unfairness or differentiation between long time players and new players.

Unlocking Maxwell, Wes and Webber....hmm....well IF there is an adventure mode in Don't Starve Together then I see no problem if we unlocked Maxwell and Wes in multiplayer as we all technically helped out. Same goes for Webber. Regardless if we stick with Edit 4 then what does it matter? The characters you unlock in multiplayer can't be used in singleplayer.

My edit 4 sort of agrees with this. Ok I'm going to answer this with the idea that characters in Don't Starve singleplayer cannot be used in Don't Starve multiplayer. You have to unlock characters in multiplayer to use them in multiplayer and you have to unlock characters in singleplayer to use them in singleplayer. Both modes are separate and don't relate to each other.

Unlocking Maxwell, Wes and Webber....hmm....well IF there is an adventure mode in Don't Starve Together then I see no problem if we unlocked Maxwell and Wes in multiplayer as we all technically helped out. Same goes for Webber. Regardless if we stick with Edit 4 then what does it matter? The characters you unlock in multiplayer can't be used in singleplayer.

Yeah that works as well, it's something they'll have to work on and I can agree with it, I just really want to play Webber/Maxwell, so hopefully there isn't an issue unlocking them for multiplayer lol.

I agree with everything but single-player-only Adventure Mode. I really hope it's a part of co-op mode because that's the only instance where there's a goal.

I agree with everything but single-player-only Adventure Mode. I really hope it's a part of co-op mode because that's the only instance where there's a goal.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a co-op/multiplayer Adventure Mode, but realistically, I feel it's unlikely to be added, it would be an absolutely great addition, but I think it'll be saved for a later update where it will be well polished for release, if they try to rush it out it for the DST release I think it most likely won't be what players would thoroughly enjoy.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a co-op/multiplayer Adventure Mode, but realistically, I feel it's unlikely to be added, it would be an absolutely great addition, but I think it'll be saved for a later update where it will be well polished for release, if they try to rush it out it for the DST release I think it most likely won't be what players would thoroughly enjoy.

Yea, I feel like it could go either way. With caves testing, they made it clear that things were temporary. Maybe they could put a placeholder that equals the singleplayer version.

Archived