Patch Notes - Rev 102535 May 23, 2014

It's the fact that an untested (at least properly) patch was pushed through on a Friday, and the work around is not acceptable. If you put out a patch before the weekend that disables a huge portion of the mods for the community, then a rollback should have been performed before going home for the weekend.  

I really feel for the UnA team since this was their first weekend as Alpha release, most people on Steam are not going to read the forums or the comments, which will create other issues for them. 

Yeah, if you think about it that way - surely UnA team in a pinch because of it. I am a modder myself. I am nothing that great, but at least I know what it is to work on your mod some significant time only to find out that something went wrong not because of you and you can't fix it yourself.

But I also can understand SethR. It really sucks to get stuck working on something that big alone - you just can't predict everything. So I still believe, that he'll make things right. He knows how much of an inconvenience this "workaround" is to people.

Are you all telling me Don't Starve is unplayable without mods? Because if it isn't why can't we all just wait for the fix. The steam forum is literally being over run with "Help Mods aren't working!" threads. If Don't Starve is unplayable without mods then I completely understand the frustration.

Yeah, if you think about it that way - surely UnA team in a pinch because of it. I am a modder myself. I am nothing that great, but at least I know what it is to work on your mod some significant time only to find out that something went wrong not because of you and you can't fix it yourself.

But I also can understand SethR. It really sucks to get stuck working on something that big alone - you just can't predict everything. So I still believe, that he'll make things right. He knows how much of an inconvenience this "workaround" is to people.

I do not doubt SethR's ability to fix the problem nor the magnitude of work that is solely on his desk atm, I just think it was a poor decision not to rollback the patch before leaving for the weekend. 

I do not doubt SethR's ability to fix the problem nor the magnitude of work that is solely on his desk atm, I just think it was a poor decision not to rollback the patch before leaving for the weekend. 

Well, on this I agree to some point. But maybe there are some problems with rolling back that we don't know about... At this point all we can do is wait anyway.

Are you all telling me Don't Starve is unplayable without mods? Because if it isn't why can't we all just wait for the fix. The steam forum is literally being over run with "Help Mods aren't working!" threads. If Don't Starve is unplayable without mods then I completely understand the frustration.

I know I can say that our team has put in hundreds of combined hours to make a mod that we enjoy playing and for others to enjoy as well, I'm sure the UnA team has put in just as much and more. The reason we make these mods is because we enjoying playing them. 

Because there's a lot of people who don't want to play vanilla. Me included.

When you say vanilla, you mean Don't Starve with no mods right.

I know I can say that our team has put in hundreds of combined hours to make a mod that we enjoy playing and for others to enjoy as well, I'm sure the UnA team has put in just as much and more. The reason we make these mods is because we enjoying playing them.

Yep. Completely agree with you. But @SethR is putting in a lot of work to get this all fixed so your hard work doesn't go unplayable. The least you guys can do is wait a few days. It's not too much to ask is it?

Yep. Completely agree with you. But @SethR is putting in a lot of work to get this all fixed so your hard work doesn't go unplayable. The least you guys can do is wait a few days. It's not too much to ask is it?

Of course Don't Starve is playable without mods, but when a patch gets put through, and a huge part of the game is broken, it's incredibly frusrating. Not many people don't use any mods for Don't Starve, especially Steam users.

And when you've just released an Alpha of something that you've been working on since August 2013, it being unplayable days after its release is VERY irritating.

I appreciate it's hard for SethR, especially if he's on his own, but this patch seems like it should've been rolled back. I'd question why this wasn't tested or discovered before it was pushed too.

When you say vanilla, you mean Don't Starve with no mods right.

Sometimes a few days can mean a lot.

I would ask these guys,

@debugman18

@MilleniumCount

@Luggs

@Vivalavie

@ArcticFox789

@Willette

@TheDanaAddams

@Mr. Tiddles

@buttercup

@Lium

@MycoLogical

@Craig_Perry 

I know for a fact a bunch of them were burning midnight oil to get their release ready for this week, just to have their opening weekend shot down by a poor decision. Just go take a look at what they are having to deal with on steam their opening weekend.

"And now thanks to this mod I can't even play don't starve, so thaNKS A LOT"
or this other comment
"Doesn't work, don't you ever test your mods?"

I'm pretty sure Volt Goats still don't reproduce in my game. I have been alive for more than two seasonal cycles and seem to be stuck with the same two groups of about ten goats. I might just be missing something, like a cap on them or maybe the reproduction is only calculated when I am near them or something :p

Alright you've made your point and I bet if I was a mod user (makes me sound like a drug addict) I'll be upset too. BUT! It's done and we can't go back. It's like a storm has just hit and destroyed your home. I doubt you'll spend the whole weekend upset, well you would but that's beside the point. Just take a 2 day break from Don't Starve :)

I'm trying my best to raise some feeling of happiness here. Help me lol.

Alright you've made your point and I bet if I was a mod user (makes me sound like a drug addict) I'll be upset too. BUT! It's done and we can't go back. It's like a storm has just hit and destroyed your home. I doubt you'll spend the whole weekend upset, well you would but that's beside the point. Just take a 2 day break from Don't Starve :-)

I don't think you quite understand the issue some of us are having right now. We shouldn't be trying to "raise some feeling of happiness". This is a huge issue, and downplaying it does not help.

I just noticed "Help me lol". Ugh.

Alright you've made your point and I bet if I was a mod user (makes me sound like a drug addict) I'll be upset too. BUT! It's done and we can't go back. It's like a storm has just hit and destroyed your home. I doubt you'll spend the whole weekend upset, well you would but that's beside the point. Just take a 2 day break from Don't Starve :-)

That's where you're wrong, yes it's done but it CAN (and should have been already) rolled back. A destroyed home cannot be reverted with a click of a button.

I'm sorry I'm a bad person for a cheerleader, but good luck.

When you run a mod collaboration, you can't just drop support for it or ignore how people are reacting to it for a couple days. Try moderating and running a mod collab area, on Steam especially, opening weekend for a collaboration is important, people will get first impressions etc.

I know you're trying to see a silver lining or cheer up the atmosphere, I'm not screaming the sky is falling, I'm just stating the impact that this decision has made. 

I'm sure SethR had his reasons for getting this update out on Friday, unfortunately it coincided with your schedule that's too bad I feel for you as do the rest of the community I'm sure.

Honestly you guys have been posting on this forum way before I got here, I was reading all the comments you guys used to make back in the day, seeing you getting bummed out over this is well kind of strange for me. This forum is probably the best one I've been part of and the community is excellent. Sometimes things won't go our way but we have to look past that.

All I'm saying is be a little patient. By next weekend I guarantee you guys will have forgotten all about this. Anyway I'm sure you guys know what you're doing, I'll stop with all this mushy stuff it's seriously making me uncomfortable :)

When you run a mod collaboration, you can't just drop support for it or ignore how people are reacting to it for a couple days. Try moderating and running a mod collab area, on Steam especially, opening weekend for a collaboration is important, people will get first impressions etc.

I know you're trying to see a silver lining or cheer up the atmosphere, I'm not screaming the sky is falling, I'm just stating the impact that this decision has made. 

Indeed. We're starting to get comments like this now on the Up & Away workshop page:

Doesn't work, don't you ever test your mods?

game crashes when i start a game

If those were our fault, we'd have them fixed in a heartbeat.

Two or more days for a new mod is a lot of time. Especially on a weekend, when people are going to be playing the game (and subsequently downloading more mods) more than during the week.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful for the mod API bump, or the support Klei's given us, but this is likely going to have a bad impact on a mod that has taken months of work to get out. (Among other mods which may release this weekend.) It likely won't ruin the mod's future, but it's certainly not going to improve it.

I hope that these changes are somebody's attempt to rectify this. I think both players and modders alike would appreciate mods being playable again.

Guys. This is what the bug tracker is for, for crying out loud.

Isn't the bug tracker for reporting bugs? They already know it exists, it just needs to be fixed. It's by far one of the largest bugs I've ever seen. Do you know how many time the game has not worked with mods? I don't recall a single instance of mods (which were compatible with the update) not working with the game.

Indeed. We're starting to get comments like this now on the Up & Away workshop page:

Doesn't work, don't you ever test your mods?

game crashes when i start a game

If those were our fault, we'd have them fixed in a heartbeat.

Two or more days for a new mod is a lot of time. Especially on a weekend, when people are going to be playing the game (and subsequently downloading more mods) more than during the week.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful for the mod API bump, or the support Klei's given us, but this is likely going to have a bad impact on a mod that has taken months of work to get out. (Among other mods which may release this weekend.) It likely won't ruin the mod's future, but it's certainly not going to improve it.

I hope that these changes are somebody's attempt to rectify this. I think both players and modders alike would appreciate mods being playable again.

You can just say on your mod's page, that its not you fault, that it temporary problem with the main game and redirect those whiners right here (those of them who can read will understand. And those who can't or don't wanna - can go... far away). I mean what was your main goal in making your mod - fame and mod's popularity or giving people something that they can enjoy playing with? The timing is awful, but its not the end of the world and not even the end for your mod. It'll be resolved and everyone will be happy again. Just survive this.

You can just say on your mod's page, that its not you fault, that it temporary problem with the main game and redirect those whiners right here (those of them who can read will understand. And those who can't or don't wanna - can go... far away). I mean what was your main goal in making your mod - fame and mod's popularity or giving people something that they can enjoy playing with? The timing is awful, but its not the end of the world and not even the end for your mod. It'll be resolved and everyone will be happy again. Just survive this.

It's just that this is the first time in the entire development of the game that mods have been this broken. Giving people something that they can enjoy is our goal. So is getting feedback so that we can improve our mod. That can't happen until this gets fixed. This is also memorial day weekend (a three day weekend) in the states, which means more people will be downloading mods and playing games than during the week, and that would normally mean more feedback.

I'm not mad at Klei. I'm trying to be as civil and calm as I can here to get that across.

I'm just very uncomfortable with the current situation. Why were larger mods not tested to work with an update that focuses heavily on the mod API?

Just redirect them to the general discussion forum. I'll take it from there.

Will do. I don't like unhappy users, at least not when we can't do anything for them.

Archived