Blue gem drop rate

I don't recall them being so rare in the past, and it may just be my bad luck, but in my current 350+ day world I have over 40 red gems, but I've been stuck at 8 blue gems for what now seems like forever.

I dug several up early on, but I made them into chilled amulets.

Since then, it seems the frost hounds drop them with a lot less regularity than the fire hounds and their red gems.

chilled amulet is useless...

Not in my experience.

I don't even bother with the Ice cube hat and its associated sanity loss problems any more.

Frozen thermal stone + chilled amulet or summer frest > ice cube hat.

Maybe you were just unlucky. I mean now we have 3 seasons with red hounds (Spring is bugged right now) and only one with Blue. I think devs did not change the drop rates, rather its blue hound that became rare with RoG.

Well, even without RoG the probability of a Gem dropping is 20%. Its still pretty much random. There is a possibility that you'll not get even 1 gem from 100 blue hounds. You'll have to be rather unlucky though.

Once the blue hound bug get fixed, we will have blue hounds in spring and winter, while red hounds will be in summer and autumn. Things will be more balanced.

Also, you can be a bit more proactive during winter and hunt the walruses, their blue hounds can give you extra blue gems. Not to mention the hound mounds in the desert can sometimes spawn blue hounds and you have a desperate 0.04% chances to get blue gems from tumbleweeds.Vargs can summon blue hounds as well. Oh, and as you mentionned, graves (but there is a fixed amount of graves you can actually dig in one world). Finally, there are the caves (earthquakes) and ruins (statues).

Overall, we have a decent amount of ways to gather blue gems. You might want to be a bit more proactive than waiting for the hound waves though, if your goal is to collect a good amount of them.

Hope that helps! =)

Once the blue hound bug get fixed, we will have blue hounds in spring and winter, while red hounds will be in summer and autumn. Things will be more balanced.

Also, you can be a bit more proactive during winter and hunt the walruses, their blue hounds can give you extra blue gems. Not to mention the hound mounds in the desert can sometimes spawn blue hounds and you have a desperate 0.04% chances to get blue gems from tumbleweeds.Vargs can summon blue hounds as well. Oh, and as you mentionned, graves (but there is a fixed amount of graves you can actually dig in one world). Finally, there are the caves (earthquakes) and ruins (statues).

Overall, we have a decent amount of ways to gather blue gems. You might want to be a bit more proactive than waiting for the hound waves though, if your goal is to collect a good amount of them.

Hope that helps! =)

I'm actually not looking to farm them in bulk.

I just want the last gem necessary for a snow Chester and I keep expecting it to come in the next hound wave, but it never does.

Meanwhile, I have more red gems than I can use.  :(

I'm actually not looking to farm them in bulk.

I just want the last gem necessary for a snow Chester and I keep expecting it to come in the next hound wave, but it never does.

Meanwhile, I have more red gems than I can use.  :(

If blue gems don't come to you, you should go to them! With all the ideas I gave you, you should be able to get snow chester by the next full moon! ^^

Maybe you were just unlucky. I mean now we have 3 seasons with red hounds (Spring is bugged right now) and only one with Blue. I think devs did not change the drop rates, rather its blue hound that became rare with RoG.

In my opinion to equalize this is to make the red hounds NOT to spawn during Spring AND Autumn but only Summer. Cause why yes? Sinse it's fire hounds what sense is there for them to spawn in Spring and Autumn sinse blue hounds only spawn in Winter.

In my opinion to equalize this is to make the red hounds NOT to spawn during Spring AND Autumn but only Summer. Cause why yes? Sinse it's fire hounds what sense is there for them to spawn in Spring and Autumn sinse blue hounds only spawn in Winter.

4 seasons - 2 kinds of hounds, with the patch that comes out this week it'll be: winter, spring - blue ones, summer, autumn - red. I think that is balanced enough. It would be balanced even now if not for the bug, causing red hounds in spring.

Because I

Because autumn is a good season for burn trees:) lol it's a joke . You're right it's very sad to have only 1 wave of frost hound I've got only 3 blue and at least 16 reds ... I mad a chilled amulet and a blue staff,Im very worried that I can't find my happiness while hunting the Mac Tusk ...I never got a blue gem so i'll try the caves after summer and for the moment I only saw 1 walrus camp,I didn't even moved a lot because I'm playing with wigfrid so I let the frost hounds come to me !

Once you get a snow chester, all you really need is 2 thermal stones to get through summer.

Just keep the chilled one in your inventory and put the not-so chilled one back into snow chester. By the time your chilled thermal stone starts to warm up again, the old warm one will be nice and frozen over deep within Snow Chester's mighty maw.

Once you get a snow chester, all you really need is 2 thermal stones to get through summer.

Just keep the chilled one in your inventory and put the not-so chilled one back into snow chester. By the time your chilled thermal stone starts to warm up again, the old warm one will be nice and frozen over deep within Snow Chester's mighty maw.

In the last patchnotes I've seen that "chester now is less effective as a fridge". Does he still cool thermal stone to the point of being "cold as ice"?

In the last patchnotes I've seen that "chester now is less effective as a fridge". Does he still cool thermal stone to the point of being "cold as ice"?

I kind of figured that was what those patch notes were referring to, but I tested it out just the other night and yes, the thermal stone will freeze all the way over while in a snow chaster. Maybe it takes longer to do it now, but by the time the chill has left the thermal stone in my inventory, the one in snow chester is already iced over. No seasonal gear required.

I kind of figured that was what those patch notes were referring to, but I tested it out just the other night and yes, the thermal stone will freeze all the way over while in a snow chaster. Maybe it takes longer to do it now, but by the time the chill has left the thermal stone in my inventory, the one in snow chester is already iced over. No seasonal gear required.

Good thing. I actually searched game files while waiting for your reply - in files it said that snow chester now has "LowCooler" tag, that lowers his efficiency as a fridge. I could not find the details of this tag though, so I assume that he cools the stone slower and preserves food somewhat worse than a fridge... I think there was a thread where the exact percentage of new Snow Chester food preservation ability was mentioned, but i don't know where it was, sadly.

I still have to transform chester to snow one yet (never really bothered collecting enough gems), especially since devs nerfed his food preservation power.

Edit: According to wiki chester still preserves food as long as a fridge, the only difference is that Ice and Ice Cube thaws inside Snow chester. So thermal stone probably cools off in chester as fast as in fridge.

60 plus days in and 1 blue gem so far. Yay. And that was by desecrating the dead on a grave shift. Hua hah hah.

I have like.....7 red gems, I suppose, and 1 yellow gem, but some of the reds were from graveyard drops. I'm not too sure how common gems are suppose to be on default. Hah hah.

As for the ice and fire hounds, they should keep the 2 seasons each quota, or perhaps more hounds added in the future. Won't that be delightful. <3

I'm around day 160 so far on this world. Dug up every grave, hunted McTusk's hounds in winter, fought against hounds and hound mounds and spent some time exploring caves. That produced 8 blue gems, plus another found in a tumbleweed. Created ice Chester at full moon, yet unfortunately Chester was burnt by the Firefly not long after.

For the next round, I'll try regularly inducing earthquakes and see how the results compare.

I figured that since the number of hounds depends on the days, if you start in autumn, you will most likely end up with a lot more red gems purely from hounds, though the probabilities of drops are pretty equal.

Speaking of probability, you would have to induce four earthquakes on average to resemble the probability of drops from ice hounds. If McTusk is your main source of ice hounds (you have few ice hounds in the periodical hound waves), it should be statistically easier to obtain blue gems from caves than from walrus hunting, unless you have several walrus camps on your map. Consider blowing up the caves instead of waiting for winter, and let's hope blue gems will be easier to obtain.

Sometimes it is the luck of the draw.  

I remember for awhile I would almost always get enough blue gems to make Ice Chester before Summer (starting in Autumn).  More recently, it seems that doesn't happen.  

I think possible it has to do with not making blue gems a priority as I did in the past.  Like people before mentioned, farming MacTusk hounds can help as well as venturing in the caves and collecting all the earthquake drops.

Archived