Entitlement away!

If you consider that rant 'criticism' as opposed to outlandish expression of man-rage from someone who should really know better, I dont know what to say

I see in no way how the developer's decision affects you in the slightest. dont like MP? dont play it

now, please insert some more contrived hypotheticals about how MP development means SP is shortchanged..

I'm not going to go back and pull a bunch of quotes, but I did wish to put in my own two cents.  Being disappointed is very different from feeling betrayed, which itself is at least some distance from throwing a tantrum and being bratty.  Customers are allowed to express discontent with the direction a company takes a product.  Doing so is not, on its own, being childish.  Childish is throwing insults, making baseless accusations, and otherwise using inflammatory language (whether well typed or full of swearing).  Whether this has happened in posts by those disagreeing with multi-player, I don't know.  I haven't read every post on the issue.

Speaking entirely for myself, my disappointment stemmed from the fact that one reason I bought and supported the game was Klei specifically stating they wanted to make the best single-player game possible.  I loved this, as so many game developers jump onto the multi-player bandwagon while allowing single-player experience to suffer.  As someone who sticks to solo play, this often leaves me feeling frustrated and left out of awesome content I would love to exprience, yet can't without doing something I don't care for.  It was nice to have confidence that any update that came, free or not, would focus on that single-player experience.  When multi-player was announced, I naturally felt let down, as my confidence in that promise was shaken.

I posted twice about this, in two threads.  Both posts were quickly and politely answered by a Klei employee addressing my concerns.  They have assured they have no desire to segregate or separate content that can cross modes.  Which is great :grin:!  On re-reading posts, I've seen they were careful not to dive into multi-player until they could support enough people so single-player wouldn't suffer.   I admire them greatly for standing firm against multi-player for so long because they were committed to waiting until they could do that, even though it was brought up so many times.

I now feel reassured and will look forward to whatever content crosses over to single-player from multi-player!

The only straight up quote I'll address is this one:

Doesn't matter. As soon as Together releases, everyone (And I say this confidently) will play online. And enjoy it.

Speaking for everyone is presumptuous.  Don't do it, lest you be proven wrong quickly ;)

No, you're worse than a toddler. You are an entitled ADULT who feels that HIS opinion is superior to all others. 

Dont like multiplayer? Dont bloody play it. Dont get all sanctimonious and insult everyone else, and the developers, for making a decision you dont like.

Actually I don't feel my opinion is superior to others. In fact this will be the 3rd time in this thread that I'll state that if you like multiplayer, that's absolutely and completely fine.

I've only insulted the OP thus far based on the fact how inflammatory his OP was. I haven't insulted you based on your excitement of multiplayer, now have I?

Uh, are you talking about the OP or the spider fellow? I can't really tell in your first post, you might want to edit it to say who you are talking about so people don't get the wrong idea. I don't disagree with you, though. 

I'm fairly confident his remarks are toward me.

It is what it is.

This forum software is terrible, I cant edit and either its getting slammed or my connection is being routed through Mongolia. I was referring to the derpy rant, not the OP.

I fail to understand how the allowance of a MP mode in Dont Starve in any way affects your preference for single player. I think that these developers, in particular, have been EXCELLENT in community engagement and that even if you have misgivings or concerns, given their track record, that they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Some people though, are such histrionics that whining about inconsequential things that do not affect them becomes necessary as ego-affirmation.

This forum software is terrible, I cant edit and either its getting slammed or my connection is being routed through Mongolia. I was referring to the derpy rant, not the OP.

I fail to understand how the allowance of a MP mode in Dont Starve in any way affects your preference for single player. I think that these developers, in particular, have been EXCELLENT in community engagement and that even if you have misgivings or concerns, given their track record, that they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Some people though, are such histrionics that whining about inconsequential things that do not affect them becomes necessary as ego-affirmation.

You can't edit or quote until you get a certain amount of posts.

I don't think you can edit because you haven't made a lot of posts yet. A dev can give you access to do it earlier, but I don't know if any are on right now. 

edit: ninja'd

By the way, you sure use a lot of advanced words, I didn't even know what myopic meant until I read your post. So thanks I guess. 

I believe it's 5 posts before you can edit.  It's a common thing on forums, to help prevent spamming and trolling using new accounts (not saying you're doing either of those!)

can also send a message to JanH to get that removed before then

Though i can see where the people that don't like the idea of multiplayer now, there's still no denying that some reactions to the announcement were indeed immature and indecent at best. There's absolutely no problem with disliking the content or just being disappointed that there wasn't another project being worked on, but then there's also  the option of being mature about it and not yell about how Klei is destroying " their game" when it will in no way alter any of it.

And please people, let's keep this civil. I must confess, calling each other mindless infants is probably one of the more harmless insults i've seen on a forum debate, but it won't change the fact that it's not needed at all.

can also send a message to JanH to get that removed before then

He only has one post to go, so probably not worth it? :indecisiveness:

And please people, let's keep this civil.

It seems there has been some nastiness on both sides? Perhaps it will all settle down soon, without people continually sniping at each other for their opinions and drawing lines in the sand. There's no real reason to let the issue divide the community. Some people like the decision, some people don't, all are entitled to their preference and opinions (though being civil in expressing them is certainly helpful for both sides to come to understand and respect each other, even if they still disagree).

Beyond the fact that my personal misgivings with multiplayer is completely unrelated to the OP, fine.

It diverts time, resources, and energy from making the best possible singleplayer experience, like we were promised, to building and supporting a multiplayer framework. We might've been halfway through the next RoG if we didn't have to stop for this interval of including multiplayer.

Not only that, but multiplayer requires more constant support and remember all content that's going to be introduced is going to have to be implemented and balanced for both experiences. They can't just balance the next "bearger" for the singleplayer experience, now it has to be balanced for both. So, assuming there will be DLCs after DST, that expansion might not spread as far because more time and care needs to be given to effectively balance the relatively smaller content that might be produced.

Not to mention that everyone already a fan of Don't Starve is already in love with the singleplayer experience, the same can't be said for the multiplayer meaning that DST is going to be less inclusive than RoG is, at least most likely anyway.

I assume that the reason why Klei changed their tune on the multiplayer direction was due to the prospect of higher returns, which nothing inherently wrong with that, but it is kind of troubling that money can change such a drastic, what seemed to be ironclad, position. If someone were to, say, offer to donate $100,000.00 to the Klei team if they promised to increase the Krampus Sack drop to 30% from it's lowly 1%, would they consider it?

Does the change in stance of multiplayer herald the possibility of micro-transactions in the future?

For the longest time Klei said that the idea was for you not starve, alone, by yourself, out in the wilderness exposed to the elements despite some players wanting to build their own house. Is that now going to change? Or will it eventually change if enough players really and truly want to have their own little house?

I could go on, but in the interest of not being "long-winded" I'll end my concerns there.

Again, if you truly are excited for the inclusion of multiplayer, and this is toward anyone who happens to be reading, that's completely and totally fine. Congratulations, I know many of you have wanted it for quite some time, and I am happy for you.

This will describe my feelings towards this until i see what the other content JoeW was talking about is, it may be a very good new content and if thats the case I'll apologize for thinking this was gonna be bad. I'll try it out.

Honestly now they've added something they said they wouldnt (for god's sake, Kevin's post about multiplayer is still there, and JoeW even gave a title ':no-multi: to a forum user) i dont even know if i can believe ton what they say, they may add anything they've said they wouldnt.

He only has one post to go, so probably not worth it? :indecisiveness:

nah, not worth it. I just figure the more times I mention it, the more new members might see it and know they have the option of not waiting if they want :)

Call me superficial, but I tend to prefer the side that doesn't use loaded language like "entitled," "petulant," "toddler," "histrionics," "hysterical," "whining," "crazy," and "misanthropy" as ad hominem attacks against those who disagree with them.  Them's fighting words, and it takes an admirable amount of self-control to not respond in kind.

*Edited because I forgot "whining."

Call me superficial, but I tend to prefer the side that doesn't use loaded language like "entitled," "petulant," "toddler," histrionics," "hysterical," "crazy," and "misanthropy" as ad hominem attacks against those who disagree with them.  Them's fighting words, and it takes an admirable amount of self-control to not respond in kind.

I agree with this post, but it should probably be noted that I could've been far less petty in my response to the OP and I could've probably cut out a lot of similar language in my initial post in this thread.

I'm definitely not above criticism.

They updated some vanilla stuff in the final ROG update, and they will likely add/update stuff in the multiplayer update. I don't see how anyone can complain that single-player needs even more of Klei's attention after six months of free updates and a dirt-cheap DLC that is more like a massive update then a real DLC. In their opinion they have done all the work on SP that needs to be done at the moment, and in in their opinion MP would be fun and they want their game to have it. Their game. Not our game. Klei has never been focused on profit, otherwise they would have made the DLC more expensive and packed the six months of updates into other expensive DLC's.

They updated some vanilla stuff in the final ROG update, and they will likely add/update stuff in the multiplayer update. I don't see how anyone can complain that single-player needs even more of Klei's attention after six months of free updates and a dirt-cheap DLC that is more like a massive update then a real DLC. In their opinion they have done all the work on SP that needs to be done at the moment, and in in their opinion MP would be fun and they want their game to have it. Their game. Not our game. Klei has never been focused on profit, otherwise they would have made the DLC more expensive and packed the six months of updates into other expensive DLC's.

My bad, my intent was not to convey that Klei are money-grubbing or trying to screw over their fans, no.

My intent was to say that such a drastic change is unprecedented and opens questions about what else might change as the team goes forward for better or for worse.

Is multiplayer fun in their opinion? I'm sure it is, and I do sincerely hope it will be worth it in the end.

I agree with this post, but it should probably be noted that I could've been far less petty in my response to the OP and I could've probably cut out a lot of similar language in my initial post in this thread.

I'm definitely not above criticism.

Sure, you could've been. But you posted a substantive and proportionate response to what can only be seen as an inflammatory attempt to start a fight and ridicule a notable group of users.  You're allowed to be pointed, but you did avoid the ad hominems; I doubt I could have done the same given all the vitriol I've seen just in the last day here.  I also appreciated getting to learn a bit about the older history of DS's growth and development. 

You were less petty than a toddler, so you're good to go.  :)

I somewhat agree with Derp, but both you and the OP need to figure out how to convey your opinions in ways that aren't insulting to both parties, those who support multiplayer and those who do not.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and shouldn't have to be deemed a "whiny toddler" if they so dare to speak about it.

That aside, I would wait for more details on Multiplayer before choosing a side.  Don't jump onto a bandwagon before it even sets off. 

Sure, you could've been. But you posted a substantive and proportionate response to what can only be seen as an inflammatory attempt to start a fight and ridicule a notable group of users.  You're allowed to be pointed, but you did avoid the ad hominems; I doubt I could have done the same given all the vitriol I've seen just in the last day here.  I also appreciated getting to learn a bit about the older history of DS's growth and development. 

You were less petty than a toddler, so you're good to go.  :-)

Thank you. :)

I somewhat agree with Derp, but both you and the OP need to figure out how to convey your opinions in ways that aren't insulting to both parties, those who support multiplayer and those who do not.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and shouldn't have to be deemed a "whiny toddler" if they so dare to speak about it.

That aside, I would wait for more details on Multiplayer before choosing a side.  Don't jump onto a bandwagon before it even sets off. 

It is very true that my post did attract some ire and most likely rightfully so.

I'll work on it.

Archived