Entitlement away!

I had avoided making a forum account for a while on the grounds that it wasn't one of those top priority things for me, and I've occasionally done my curious browsing while casually messing around and whatnot, but I really just can not let this kinda behaviour slide.. So had to make an account and the like just to let you know something reaaaally important.

You know, last time I checked the game was released. Like, released-released. Not getting anything more. Reign doesn't count, as far as I recall they brought in more people to do this whole multiplayer thing. This free multiplayer thing. Free. What they're doing now is free, and you complaining about not getting exactly what you want of free things summates to just being bratty overall.

(No, I'm not talking about all you out there who are totally psyched and okay with it, am not talking about people who are skeptical and the like, I'm talking about the toddlers throwing tantrums over new free stuff.)

I understand that people think that this is some kinda major issue that they won't be able to avoid playing even though it's totally optional, but I don't really get why they're complaining that they're getting free stuff. Yes, great, you can want clarification on various backstories, that's wonderful. And Klei has spoiled us IMMENSELY with the stuff they make! Tons and tons of freebies here and there and Reign is wonderfully difficult and cruel and lovable in how much more tough and unsurvivable it is, but you know what?

They didn't HAVE to make more stuff.

The Earth seriously does not revolve around your beliefs. I know that might be a little bit hard to stomach, but let's be serious right here, right now. Klei is making you new, free stuff. New, free, need I say OPTIONAL stuff, that they themselves tested with a proof of concept build and thought was satisfying and fun enough to try to bring to you. This is not about other modders, nor about their previous statements.

They tried it themselves and said it was fun. Are you going to whine about their thoughts regarding their OWN GAME?

Chances are they know their game better than you do, because last time I checked, they made it, not you. Clearly they have enough of an understanding of their own design aesthetic to know what does and doesn't feel condusive to the world they've created. It really isn't hard to understand.

Oh god though there might be balance issues, not entirely unlike how there were probably balance issues while they were making the game in the first place, balance issues that have obviously been solved! Oh, and there might be bugs, like the bugs that they surely had in the development overall but bugs that they squashed while making the game in such a way that they weren't noticable enough ti impact you!

They're GAME DESIGNERS. Do you REALLY think they're going to let mistakes slip past? Have they done that to this point? Why is it suddenly difficult? Because you oppose getting free stuff cos they're awesome enough to say thanks for supporting us and that they love you guys?

Are you REALLY going to spit in their faces over this? This FREE multiplayer that you can totally not even play? REALLY?

Sorry to anyone who read that agrees with what they're doing or isn't throwing a tantrum, but I am getting sick of seeing people bawl their eyes out because they're just self-centered jerks.

Thank you Klei, both for tolerating all of this crap that's being whined at you and for giving us stuff. I at least love you as much as you love us :c Kay? Kay. And thank you to people who aren't bawling for no reason. Love you guys too c:

Sorry for the rant, overall, and I guess to some degree it doesn't belong here, but it turns my stomach to see people behaving like this and treating Klei like they have no idea how to run their own game.

So far most reasonable responses I've seen have been positive.

More so than almost any of their other games, Don't Starve has been made as a result of community feedback. Heck, the game started as a simple game-jam game, and would never have been developed further if it wasn't for the community input.

Now they feel the game is complete enough that they can consider investing the resources required to add co-op to the game, arguably the most requested feature so far.

There is no reason to feel betrayed or to call Klei hypocrites. The very nature of iterative game development means you don't know what you'll be working on in the long run, and have to take things one step at a time. Up until now adding multiplayer didn't make a lot of sense. Now that they've done some internal testing, and the single-player component is complete enough to allow for it, It makes more sense to work on it than it did at previous points, back when they still felt that the single player experience needed more work.

Oddly enough i was about to do the same thing. I was  baffled by the fact that people are actually feeling " Betrayed" and " disappointed" with Klei for giving Don't starve players a FREE expansion that they do not even have to partake in. This is a game that gave us loads of free content in the past , and a 4 dollar DLC that's practically an expansion pack. I don't just don't get it, if you're not interested in MP at all, then why just don't ignore it and keep it at that? It's not like you're forced to play with other people.  I guess I'm just missing something… 

If it pleases a majority of the people, someone is gonna complain for the heck of it. And when that one person complains, others will join the bandwagon to look coolio.

Doesn't matter. As soon as Together releases, everyone (And I say this confidently) will play online. And enjoy it. They might still get on the forums simply to say they don't like it from time to time, of course though. They have reputation to keep!

If it pleases a majority of the people, someone is gonna complain for the heck of it. And when that one person complains, others will join the bandwagon to look coolio.

Doesn't matter. As soon as Together releases, everyone (And I say this confidently) will play online. And enjoy it. They might still get on the forums simply to say they don't like it from time to time, of course though. They have reputation to keep!

I think a lot of the people who were unnecessarily angry were too surprised to think before posting.  Multiplayer has been something a lot of us have stood against from a long time, and when stuff goes completely backwards like that, people tend to say things they don't mean.

That, or they are

the toddlers throwing tantrums over new free stuff.

I'm personally quite happy that multiplayer is being included, so  myself never saw any reason to complain. However, I've spoken with some people that are more concerned and to some extend disappointed. I see your argument here, and normally I'd entirely agree with your stance. However, there's one thing I have to disagree with.

First off, these forums here are one of the most social places I've come across on the internet so far. The amount of people complaining without mind and reason is minimal, so I don't really see this as a big issue. Almost any other gaming community behaves way, way, WAY worse than the good people here.

And secondly, the people that are disappointed and are complaining have a decent argument for their stance. Though it might appear to be "entitlement", their disappointment is understandable from their perspective. While complaining about the free new content to the extend of calling it out to "ruin" the game might be truly entitled, just being disappointed in the type of content we are getting is perfectly understandable. You see, some people, honestly myself included, don't think that the game really feels all that "finished". Especially the lack of end-game challenge is something we feel should have been tackled before multiplayer. Also, while I can't speak from experience, apparently the modding scene also is having some issues that probably will not be majorly focused on now that multiplayer is in the spotlight. And you can't forget, many of the long-time players had their mind dead-set that multiplayer will never be a thing because Klei themselves said that DS was supposed to be a singleplayer experience, and they spent a lot of time on wrangling down any multiplayer discussion that arose in the forums as fast as possible. To them, the announcement of multiplayer might have destroyed their vision of the universe itself, and they might be disturbed and depressed now. (I am of course exaggerating, but I hope you get what I mean.) Of course it is ultimately unacceptable to throw insults at Klei for not doing what one himself desires, however a feeling of disappointment is reasonable. And I think Klei themselves understand how their old fans might feel about this.

Really throwing tantrums is of course stupid, but I honestly don't see it happening too much. That said, I don't read every thread, so I might have missed some bad examples. Anyway, my point is, don't be so harsh on the forumers here. They are all a bit shocked and surprised right now, and I'm sure the situation will settle real fast.

I am not completely against multiplayer, but one argument I can defend from people who are against it is the fact that the resources spent in the multiplayer game could be spent at making a even better single player game(late game? difficulty?krampus?caves?)

They tried it themselves and said it was fun. Are you going to whine about their thoughts regarding their OWN GAME?

well... they did say once they play the game weirdly...

I am not completely against multiplayer, but one argument I can defend from people who are against it is the fact that the resources spent in the multiplayer game could be spent at making a even better single player game(late game? difficulty?krampus?caves?)

It was heavily implied in the reveal post that they've been bringing in new people who are specializing in the multiplayer, and the whole team won't be working on it. I'm pretty confident that we will keep seeing new single player content over the next few months, parallel to multiplayer development.

Completely ignoring the part of their community that doesn't want to play multiplayer, and not updating singleplayer anymore at all just doesn't feel like their style to me.

I don't like the change from "No no no no no no no." to "Yes!"

But that is the only concerning thing to me, and I support Klei on this MP decision anyway.

My only fear is we now get achievements or micro-transactions. "That could never happen Ridley!" What is truly too far fetched?

My only fear is we now get achievements or micro-transactions. "That could never happen Ridley!" What is truly too far fetched?

After the MP announcement, I don't know what to expect anymore, so who knows? Maybe Kevin will pop up and say "so, as it turns out, we decided Don't Starve would work out best based on extrinsic rewards!".

(not really, though; and micro-transactions will certainly not happen :razz:)

Up there's the quote box if you want to be linked back to the original comment.

I'm pulling the quotes out so I can quote to my heart's content without going over the limit of quote boxes because this is going to be long.

"You know, last time I checked the game was released. Like, released-released. Not getting anything more. Reign doesn't count as far as I recall they brought in more people to do this whole multiplayer thing."

Oh, is that so?

Well I'm certainly glad we have Riakathii to come in here and tell us what content counts and what content doesn't count for the purposes of making a point.

"This free multiplayer thing. Free. What they're doing now is free, and you complaining about not getting exactly what you want of free things summates to just being bratty overall."

It should be noted that it's only free for those of us who already own the game. Anyone just coming in once the content is out will be paying extra to get on board. Go tell them it's free.

"(No, I'm not talking about all you out there who are totally psyched and okay with it, am not talking about people who are skeptical and the like, I'm talking about the toddlers throwing tantrums over new free stuff.)"

Calling anyone and everyone who isn't largely in favor of Don't Starve Together: Best grab your favorite pacifier and a bottle of warm milk. Maybe a teething ring too, just for good measure, amirite?

"I understand that people think that this is some kinda major issue that they won't be able to avoid playing even though it's totally optional, but I don't really get why they're complaining that they're getting free stuff. Yes, great, you can want clarification on various backstories, that's wonderful. And Klei has spoiled us IMMENSELY with the stuff they make! Tons and tons of freebies here and there and Reign is wonderfully difficult and cruel and lovable in how much more tough and unsurvivable it is, but you know what?

They didn't HAVE to make more stuff."

I know right? It's amazing how Klei has continued to support the game despite criticism for every move they make. It's almost as if there was a profit motive behind producing this game and it's continued support -- almost.

Oh, what's this? Reign of Giants doesn't count based on nothing more than your say so a mere paragraph or so ago, but the second it's favorable for you to use it to construct a point it counts? Really?

How convenient. Unbelievable how nicely that works out for you.

Someone toss this man/woman an accomploshrine because that is some of the finest hypocrisy I've ever had the pleasure of sinking my teeth into.

I mean seriously, you act as if this isn't a symbiotic relationship: we want Don't Starve to be awesome and Klei wants our money. Sure, they don't have to make more content for Don't Starve, but, if you ask me anyway, a primary reason they're developing multplayer is to get a larger playerbase so they have more people to sell merch and future DLCs to.

That's not even to say Klei doesn't want Don't Starve to be awesome too, but this blithe ignorance on your part... this insinuation that there's been absolutely nothing in this for Klei as well... it... it's absolutely infuriating. I mean, seriously, did the Chester campaign not happen? Was that just a figment of my imagination? Did they not get over 10 times what their original donation goal was?

"The Earth seriously does not revolve around your beliefs."

Well then, you'll have to excuse me. I have to go inform the kettle that he happens to be black.

"I know that might be a little bit hard to stomach, but let's be serious right here, right now. Klei is making you new, free stuff. New, free, need I say OPTIONAL stuff, that they themselves tested with a proof of concept build and thought was satisfying and fun enough to try to bring to you. This is not about other modders, nor about their previous statements.

They tried it themselves and said it was fun. Are you going to whine about their thoughts regarding their OWN GAME?"

Yep, they did indeed say that.

You know, now that you mention it, I also recall numerous times Klei telling us and promising us to bring us the best single-player experience they could muster.

Funnily enough, I also seem to remember just a few posts that -- oh, I don't know -- insinuated that multiplayer was permanently off the table right along side with those promises of said best single-player experience.

Actually, now that we're on the topic, I also just so happen to remember a certain undercurrent of condemnation -- a slightly bitter and tired tone in Kevin's voice if you will -- when he was on RipTidePow's stream of the caves when the topic of multiplayer was brought up.

But hey, maybe that's just me. Maybe my reading and listening comprehension skills have really declined over the years, because y'know what? Somehow, just somehow, I got it into my head that one of the selling points to Don't Starve, for me anyway, was the fact that this wasn't going to go down the path of Minecraft or Terraria. That it wasn't going to pander to people who just simply didn't appreciate the lonely atmosphere it was trying to create, because evidently nothing quite says "loneliness" like intrepidly crossing the wilderness with your BFFs in tow.

How dare I feel just a bit misled.

"Chances are they know their game better than you do, because last time I checked, they made it, not you. Clearly they have enough of an understanding of their own design aesthetic to know what does and doesn't feel condusive to the world they've created. It really isn't hard to understand."

Which is why Kevin thought the players were just being silly by collecting piles upon piles of manure way back in Don't Starve's infancy.

Which is also why Kevin was almost completely, if not then entirely, blindsided by the complaints and outrage to durability added to clothing and worked out the compromise of adding the sewing kit.

Which is still also why Maxwell's original text while sitting atop the Nightmare Throne was altered when it was discovered quite a few players didn't quite get the message Kevin wanted to convey.

You've convinced me, they really ought to dismantle the Feedback forums because clearly Klei doesn't need us. They know their game so well to the point that our views and concerns are absolutely meaningless and have never had any impact on the game whatsoever. You're absolutely right, it really wasn't that hard to understand.

It's a wonder they let us plebeians into their beta tests, really.

"Oh god though there might be balance issues, not entirely unlike how there were probably balance issues while they were making the game in the first place, balance issues that have obviously been solved!"

You heard it here first folks: WX-78? Not overpowered.

Never you mind that his special ability to upgrade himself was originally implemented on the premise that there would never be enough gears to max him out on a single world and that players would have to endure and survive if they wanted to fully upgrade him. Thanks to RoG, clockworks are everywhere.

Hell, don't want all that pesky combat and danger getting in the way of nom-noming all those delicious gears? Camp out in the desert. The tumbleweeds will deliver them to you, albeit randomly, and deposit them on your doorstep, literally.

"Oh, and there might be bugs, like the bugs that they surely had in the development overall but bugs that they squashed while making the game in such a way that they weren't noticable enough ti impact you!"

Right again, because when you experience an earthquake and when some of the minerals don't fall and permanently cast a spinning shadow, that in no way gets your mind out of the game.

Because when a rock lobster continuously walks against a wall for eternity, that isn't a bit jarring to the gaming experience whatsoever.

Silly me for noticing non-issues.

"They're GAME DESIGNERS. Do you REALLY think they're going to let mistakes slip past?"

"Have they done that to this point?"

Not intentionally, but that position is certainly a farcry from your assertion that Don't Starve is flawless.

"Why is it suddenly difficult? Because you oppose getting free stuff cos they're awesome enough to say thanks for supporting us and that they love you guys?

Are you REALLY going to spit in their faces over this? This FREE multiplayer that you can totally not even play? REALLY?"

I am more than willing to live and let live. You, on the other hand, decided to classify everyone who wasn't just absolutely giddy about this decision as having a "temper-tantrum."

You love the idea of multiplayer? Hey, awesome day for you, congrats. I'm even willing to see the new face of Don't Starve and to see how their implementation of multiplayer will be before I pass anything resembling final judgment, but don't you dare sit there and tell me the feedback you don't like on these forums needs to stop now that you've gotten your way. Don't you dare sit there and tell me that I'm unjustified in feeling a bit mislead.

"Sorry to anyone who read that agrees with what they're doing or isn't throwing a tantrum, but I am getting sick of seeing people bawl their eyes out because they're just self-centered jerks.

Thank you Klei, both for tolerating all of this crap that's being whined at you and for giving us stuff. I at least love you as much as you love us :c Kay? Kay. And thank you to people who aren't bawling for no reason. Love you guys too c:

Sorry for the rant, overall, and I guess to some degree it doesn't belong here, but it turns my stomach to see people behaving like this and treating Klei like they have no idea how to run their own game."

Oh okay, I also disagree for absolutely no reason is that it now?

So what did Doctor H. Derp learn today on the forums?

1. If you don't like multplayer, you're having a "temper tantrum" and probably need a bottle.

2. It's exceptionally important to repeat over and over again how free multiplayer is going to be despite that not being true in the slightest for all players not currently on board as vanilla Don't Starve will be marked up once the content is finished.

3. If you write an inflammatory rant that's in favor of multiplayer, you will be showered with praise as evidenced by all the likes on the OP.

4. Again, if you write an inflammatory rant that's in favor of multiplayer it wont be locked. In fact, you get bonus points based on how many times you accuse your opposition of being a toddler or toddler-like.

Glad we've all cleared that up.

Now if you'll excuse me, that sounds like the microwave going off, and lord knows I wouldn't be able to live another day without some delicious warmed formula.

[long-winded post]

I respectfully think that you need to chill, dude. You are openly mocking a first-time poster who apologized at the end of his post to anyone he might have offended. Way to encourage more forum activity, I'm sure the developers appreciate it. 

On topic, I was initially opposed to MP because I was sad that it means there won't be any new DLC for a while, but you make some very good points. Now I can't wait to play it with my little brother and show him the ropes :)

I have owned Dont Starve since day one of release on Steam under Early Access and enjoyed my time with it. I am very happy about the recent announcement.

The petulant, insipid rant I was just subjected to inspired me to post this. First - I sincerely hope that the multiplayer is designed around excluding you, personally, from contact with the rest of the relatively excellent community. Your toxic misanthropy is depressing.

Your hysterical arguments and emotive appeal against all logic are pretty crazy. go back and re-read that myopic, projecting piece again, and let us know if you stand by it.

I for one would be happy to never play with people like you. Entitled does not even begin to describe you.

I respectfully think that you need to chill, dude. You are openly mocking a first-time poster who apologized at the end of his post to anyone he might have offended. Way to encourage more forum activity, I'm sure the developers appreciate it. 

I respectfully disagree with your justification on all counts.

He's been lurking these forums for quite some time if we're to believe his OP, so no, this really isn't his first time here unless you're insinuating he's lying.

Also, considering he's been showered with praise up until this point, if anything, it'd say that some people on these forums, such as myself, are bad apples while the sweeping vast majority will receive you with open arms.

Not only that, but he was openly mocking his detractors the entire breadth of his post while receiving that praise I might add.

If someone were to tell me, "Your face looks ugly, no offense," I'd defy you to find me a person who really truly wouldn't be offended.

If you really like the idea of multiplayer? Again, good for you.

Don't tell me I'm a toddler for disagreeing with your opinion.

No, you're worse than a toddler. You are an entitled ADULT who feels that HIS opinion is superior to all others. 

Dont like multiplayer? Dont bloody play it. Dont get all sanctimonious and insult everyone else, and the developers, for making a decision you dont like.

No, you're worse than a toddler. You are an entitled ADULT who feels that HIS opinion is superior to all others. 

Dont like multiplayer? Dont bloody play it. Dont get all sanctimonious and insult everyone else, and the developers, for making a decision you dont like.

Ah, so we can't even criticize it or else we're "Entitled little brats". Gotcha.

I smell a bit of irony.

Uh, are you talking about the OP or the spider fellow? I can't really tell in your first post, you might want to edit it to say who you are talking about so people don't get the wrong idea. I don't disagree with you, though. 

Archived