Communication in multiplayer?

In the " Don't starve Together " post, it was stated that you could play with strangers or friends alike. This made me wonder about communication methods. 

There could always be a mic through which you could talk, but it'd change the atmosphere of the game a lot, especially since the characters speak in music. 

Another option could be with standard lines you could pick, or chatting through a chatbox. 

What would be the best way to communicate with your fellow players in Don't Starve according to you guys? 

It should be in the form of a bubble or chat box above the players head as well as appear in a chat log bottom left. So if I were to say as

Wilson: "Tjally gather some logs while I grab some food"

Should appear directly above my characters head and play Wilson's regular musical voice.

At long distances we can read what someone has said in the chat log.

Edit: personally for me I'll be playing along side my brother. So I doubt communication for us will be a problem.

I feel like voice chat is slightly out of the question, in public games at least, and you could always just use Skype with some friends if you really want to speak. For text communication, to keep to the whole theme of each character, and still keep a bit of the loneliness, I think like 40-50ish preset phrases you could make your character say like they were examining something would be good.

I feel like voice chat is slightly out of the question, in public games at least, and you could always just use Skype with some friends if you really want to speak. For text communication, to keep to the whole theme of each character, and still keep a bit of the loneliness, I think like 40-50ish preset phrases you could make your character say like they were examining something would be good.

I like that idea a lot, would also allow for a lot more lines on each specific character. 

It should be in the form of a bubble or chat box above the players head as well as appear in a chat log bottom left. So if I were to say as

Wilson: "Tjally gather some logs while I grab some food"

Should appear directly above my characters head and play Wilson's regular musical voice.

At long distances we can read what someone has said in the chat log.

Edit: personally for me I'll be playing along side my brother. So I doubt communication for us will be a problem.

I plan on playing it with friends myself, but playing with a stranger ( or multiple strangers) would make for a very different experience, and standard lines would make personal conversation impossible. It'd fit the atmosphere of the game better I think. Maybe it would be a bit like "journey"  ? 

Archived