Klei, please be careful with Single/Multiplayer balance

As an early Beta player, I think Don't Starve turned out great, the DLC is really fun and I generally approve of most of the stuff you implement and change. Still I am grealty concerned about your plans for multiplayer implementation and it's implication on single player experience.

My main point of reference would be Terraria and its so called "Wave Events". For those unfamiliar with them, they are late game "invasions" where you fight hordes of regular enemies and bosses in a limited period of time. The thing is, they don't really scale with number of players, so they often are pretty easy to beat with multiple people, but ridiculously hard / borderline impossible for a typical single player. 

I am all for multiplayer experience in Don't Starve, many people really wanted it and I am glad that their dream will come true. That saying, please, do NOT make the regular game harder, just becaue SOME people play multiplayer. There is never a reason for: "X is so hard/impossible to beat alone, because you can just bring in friends to help you" (outside of multiplayer-only content, if there will be any). Not everyone will want to play multiplayer.

I trust in you, Klei. Give us AWESOME multiplayer experience, but don't mess with what we already have and fall in love with a long time ago.

Single player Don’t Starve will not be affected by the addition of multiplayer except for content or features not specifically related to multiplayer gameplay. Balance changes and content aimed at creating an interesting multiplayer experience will not be added to the single player game.

In Klei We Trust

Balancing will be an extremely delicate matter. Despite being against the idea of developing multiplayer, I rely on the dev's accurate job, so, IKWT (In Klei We Trust).

Perhaps for every extra player that joins, the monsters get a quarter more powerful in every stat (except maybe speed)

So four players would make every monster 1 3/4 more powerful? I'd say that's pretty fair.

Archived