I'd imagine like Minecraft

or Rust or Terraria. You can play co-op, build bases, gather resources, explore, craft, hunt together but also you can become enemies. These games are fun both single player and multiplayer and they don't ruin the experience at all. So don't worry about multiplayer is gonna ruin the game, it'll be the most amazing thing that will happen to the game.

I think multiplayer will be a nice addition, but I don't think confronting other players is a must. It does not feel right, and my brain cannot merge Don't Starve with PvP, no matter how much I try.
It's just that don't like PvP, personally. Unless the game is BASED on competition, like Team Fortress and Dota, in which case I have no problem because the rule of the game states that team A must beat team B.
But in an open world, survival, where I can choose how to be? I'd go for friendly and survival rather than getting the best gear and killing random people.

I don't know, the devs should apply anything they find suitable, I'll have no problem. I'll just stick to my gameplay, that is all.

No, pvp is almost a must in survival games. If you played Dayz you know it, you can loot the people you kill. It's not about ethics or good behaviour, it's about surviving by all means. Players should have the choice of being the good guy or the bad.

I'd imagine that PvP in Don't Starve to be more based on espionage. Rather than running at each other with spears I think it would be more about setting traps and destroying resources for other players. For example, luring hounds over to the opponents base or summoning Big Foot on them. Setting Bee Mines everywhere or simply burning all their farms and stealing all their plants. Maybe implanting chests that need keys to be accessed would be a good idea as well to prevent theft.

we could have different modes to play, like pvp, pve, team pvp, mp storyline. there is a bunch that could be done.

i imagine a mode with a gigantic world, 4 times as big as the one we have. depending on how many ppl join the match, you have 2 - 8 ppl or so, start of at different locations reaaally far away from eachother. first few days you would have time to set up a base, gather  rescources and gear - when ure ready you are going for the lookout and see if you can find the others. then its up to you wether you team up against the other players, or destroy them on sight.

either way, last man standing wins!

also pve ****, with even larger enemies.

tbh, aslong as this does not turn into a "cuddle up to restore sanity and warmth" crap, im happy with everything.

ALSO!! lets team up to get good ol' krampus back to its glory! may he finally get the appropriation he deserves!!

I don't think they should make the world 4 times bigger. Sure they should maybe compensate a little bit depending on the amount of players but I think for the most part world size and the amount of resources should be kept the same. It'd more immersive and a more challenging experience if we have players fighting over the limited resources and it would encourage a more constructive PvP style.

well, they can just keep it customizable with the option to make it even larger.

with 8 ppl on the map, id prefer not to run into them within the first 2 days. also, one might get an unfair advantage, if he spawns nearby pig village. he could set up an army and run the others over.

what about a mode where everyone spawns at similar mix-biomes in the maps corners, with one big island in the middle having tons of rescources and a pig village. ppl have the same starting conditions and have to fight for the middle island.

im thinking of age of empires all the time, talking about this xD

ALSO! Kraaaaampus should be a king on a throne and all should obey him!

Oh that would be cool. When setting up a game we could choose in the options if we all spawn together or apart. We could also chose if it's a random spawn of if we all get the same stuff at the start. That would be cool if people wanted to be competitive.

there could also be random generated maps, or prebuilt ones, where everyone can chose a spawnpoint.

which would open the option for a map editor aswell  :encouragement:

god, im so excited xD

ALSO! go krampus, go krampus, gooooooooooooo krampus! i swear, this is gonna be in everyones mouth by tomorrow xD

Just my own two cents, but I feel that this (OP's suggestion) is precisely what I would like to avoid with Don't Starve. Don't starve is not a game where you just respawn after each death. There is an inherent story to your survival, having to start from scratch and uncovering the world. These are a core component to what the game is about.

I personally don't want to have large 30+ people servers that are always up and running. I want to play it co-op, and basically only have the server online when me and my small group of 2-3 friends play together.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, and it would probably still be quite fun, but I feel it would require a ton of changes that would undermine the whole concept of don't starve. How do you handle renewable resources? How do you handle an infinitely expanding map (see minecraft). 

Also although I know PvP is inevitable because most people will want it, I personally don't think it will be that fun without considerably changing how combat behaves. Don't starve has a very slow combat that works well with the AI in the game, but I just feel it would not be very interesting to play against a player without more advanced mechanics such as dodging, blocking, etc.

Archived