52 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there will be multiplayer servers, or over a local network?

• I think it will be over a server.
    • I think it will be over local networks.
    • I think Klei will add options for both.

In the Don't Starve Together "starter thread" or whatever, Klei said that most likely, there will be 2-4 players allowed on at a time. Do you think multiplayer will have servers, like in a similar fashion to Minecraft, or will there be multiplayer over a local network? I personally think there will be local multiplayer only. 

On a side note, how do you think multiplayer will function in-game? Things like choosing two of the same character, worlds having certain players only, speech, death, etc. 

There will probably be one big server. I wonder how many people will play on average at the same time on multiplayer!

While a dedicated server architecture is a possibility (and probably preferred just for stability reasons) So far they've said in several replies and comments that they are only aiming at 2-4 player co-op at this time.

I think the style of multiplayer we will see, at least initially, will be more akin to something like Diablo or Torchlight, and not like Minecraft or Terrraria.

Hold on. 4 local? How's that possible? That means four people squashed like sandwitch on one computer! If that's not the case then how is this gonna work? How can people play on different computers in one game without a server generating it all? How can thia be possible?

Hold on. 4 local? How's that possible? That means four people squashed like sandwitch on one computer! If that's not the case then how is this gonna work? How can people play on different computers in one game without a server generating it all? How can thia be possible?

"Local", in this case, means over the same wi-fi network. So no, you don't need to all be at the same computer. You just have to be in the same general area.

Also, will there be a possibility of a "Don't Starve account?" You have your own account, and when you create a multiplayer world, you say what accounts can be on this world. Then, when the person you said could go on that world starts playing, they can join anytime they like. It would be like there would be a separate menu option, one for singleplayer and multiplayer. Worlds "shared" with you will show up under the multiplayer tab.

"Local", in this case, means over the same wi-fi network. So no, you don't need to all be at the same computer. You just have to be in the same general area.

Also, will there be a possibility of a "Don't Starve account?" You have your own account, and when you create a multiplayer world, you say what accounts can be on this world. Then, when the person you said could go on that world starts playing, they can join anytime they like. It would be like there would be a separate menu option, one for singleplayer and multiplayer. Worlds "shared" with you will show up under the multiplayer tab.

For steam it'll probably be the steam account you have.

There's no difference, so far as implementation goes...

Restricting to LAN only lifts some concerns with how "wasteful" data transmission can be, since latency is lower and transfer speed higher. But other than that, it's the same, and since they're working on this from the engine up I don't see why they wouldn't optimize data transmission enough to allow proper co-op via the Internet.

I would quite like it if multiplayer worked like the game, "JOURNEY." If you don't know what it is, look it up and buy that ****. It's amazing. Basically it's singleplayer, but on your way you can run into some random other player and you can't communicate or do anything SPESHUL really, and you can only have one person on at a time. If not, the desert would look like a red sea. At the end of the game it shows you their symbols and their username, etc. 

Archived