So Sanity problems are pretty much solved?

First of, if this has been discussed already, then I have not seen it. I apologize in advance.

Now that players can interact with each other, there's no need for characters to feel lost and lonely in Don't Starve, right? As long as you're close to someone else you're bound to gain some Sanity boost... Or am I wrong?

Hm... how about seeing others get hurt or suffer drains sanity? I'm sure that wouldn't be pleasant...

Or when a player reaches a certain threshold, they drain sanity of those around them, due to friends fearing their mentally unstable, insane friend?

It would be rather scary watching an insane player attacking invisible enemies, which are actually shadow creatures. Then again, if they do kill them, then Nightmare Fuel drops. Would that mean that Shadow creatures will be visible to other players as well, but in their ethereal/non harmful form? If so, getting close to those would indeed drop sanity.

It would be rather scary watching an insane player attacking invisible enemies, which are actually shadow creatures. Then again, if they do kill them, then Nightmare Fuel drops. Would that mean that Shadow creatures will be visible to other players as well, but in their ethereal/non harmful form? If so, getting close to those would indeed drop sanity.

Personally, I would find it scarier if a person was flailing around, seemingly fighting something they're convinced is real but you can't see (IRL, that is).

But I don't have any experiences with hallucinogenic people.

@Ysulyan

It would be cool if when a player is insane and attacks a shadow creature (Excluding the ruins) the other players can see the animation of the player attacking, but they don't see the shadow creature. This would only happen if you are sane, if you were insane too, you would probably either:

1: Imagine other players as shadow creatures (Maybe make them look like mr. skitts) but they are not actually shadow creatures...

2: See the shadow creature attacking them.

3: Same as 2, except you can help attack the shadow creature.

Personally, I would find it scarier if a person was flailing around, seemingly fighting something they're convinced is real but you can't see (IRL, that is).

But I don't have any experiences with hallucinogenic people.

Yeah I'd find that to be spoopy.

Me neither. I mean I may have had some lucid dreaming now and then, but that's all.

Doubleposting because I didn't see the other reply.

@Ysulyan

It would be cool if when a player is insane and attacks a shadow creature (Excluding the ruins) the other players can see the animation of the player attacking, but they don't see the shadow creature. This would only happen if you are sane, if you were insane too, you would probably either:

1: Imagine other players as shadow creatures (Maybe make them look like mr. skitts) but they are not actually shadow creatures...

2: See the shadow creature attacking them.

3: Same as 2, except you can help attack the shadow creature.

I agree with your points, making other players look like mr. skitts would actually drop the insane character's sanity even more if they got close too.

Hm... how about seeing others get hurt or suffer drains sanity? I'm sure that wouldn't be pleasant...

Or when a player reaches a certain threshold, they drain sanity of those around them, due to friends fearing their mentally unstable, insane friend?

That would make sense...

If me and someone else were sitting at a campfire at midnight, and the person is going insane, rubbing their eyes, looking if something is behind them, behind scared while there'snothing there... I'd be kind of afraid that person would lose control and attack me, or worse :o

So being near insane people decreases your sanity. Unless you're wearing a hat. Hats are awesome.

well to be honnest, the DS characters are pretty f*ed up. dunno if it should be a sanity drain or a gain beeing next to them.

think of willow, who you have to fear as she might set u on fire any moment. wendy, a kid followed by her dead sister..

not even starting with webber the spider, or wilton the skeleton!

also, once your sanity is low, they could start looking weird for you. like wilsons beard and hair could start moving creepily and whatnot.

ALSO!! lets not forget about the krampus, who is awesome and at the same time even more awesome! 

My thoughts exactly. I was just pointing out something logical.

What sense is there with people talking and seeing each other losing their sanity? Unless they have seen a deerclops or a spider queen that is....

I wouldn't be so sure of that, if I were you. I live with someone I have to see and talk to every day. Being around them definitely has a negative impact on my sanity. If I didn't get to get away from them and be by myself now and then, I'd completely lose it. Just because you have company doesn't mean you'll enjoy it...and even if you do, how long will you be able to stand seeing someone you like suffering, or for that matter seeing them doing better/worse than you? Having to concern yourself with someone else's wellbeing beyond your own, especially when you yourself aren't doing so great, can be a mentally draining activity.

What about the Obelisks?

Whose sanity do the states of them depend on?

The crazy one walks over 'em like normal, though in the sane person's vision he's phasing through the obelisk like a shadow creature?

That'd be just as freaky as seeing a crazy person flail at invisible hallucinations

My thoughts about insanity (examples):

Someone fights the air while you're sane. Eventually you see nightmare fuel dropping from nowhere: you know the other player has bad sanity.

When someone kills a rabbit it drops beard hair. You then know they've went insane. If you went insane and someone else who is sane killed it you would see morsel drop from the beardling because it was killed by a sane person who sees it as a rabbit.

Makes sense? Can it be programmed into the game? Idk, but if Klei wants multiplayer this must be programmed.

Archived