How to Rebalance Don't Starve for Multiplayer? Console Commands Yes/No? page 16

I also really dislike the idea of people joining and leaving the server. I'd rather have it where the game can only start when it's got when it's full with the number of players it started with, unless people have died. And it auto-pauses if someone D/C's.

Why does it only have to be that way?  Just give the host the option to allow new joins, or not allow them.  It's so simple, just give the option!

Why does it only have to be that way?  Just give the host the option to allow new joins, or not allow them.  It's so simple, just give the option!

Yeah I guess that's true. I just want the option to have the world totally self contained. Having a free for all crazy power game is cool, but I want the solo group option a lot more.

@Luxurious I like it. But will we be able to wake up on choice?

I would say no. You would only wake up if your hunger reaches 0 or if you get attacked. And maybe the entire screen should go black and you hear only muffled sounds when you sleep. Because you really shouldn't know what's going on around you when you sleep in real life anyway.

Maybe sleep could work like this:
1 player can enter a tent or sleep on a straw roll at the time. Time does not stop when you sleep. You slowly regenerate Sanity and Health while sleeping in the tent, but hunger goes down double (maybe triple?) speed. Tents could also have durability and you could repair them with Sewing Kits. Got this idea from Starbound, it has a similar sleep mechanic.

So is my idea good or stupid?

This is a solid idea, a couple of thoughts however:

How would durability work?

Maybe a tent/rug will have a fixed number of minutes for use and once you reach that limit it disappears as normal.

Will sleeping still delay events (hounds/giants)?

Normally if I hear the sound of hounds during the night I sleep and skip to morning, would this no longer be possible?

What will be the regeneration per second be? 

Would one have to wait in a tent all night to get the equivalent health/sanity bonuses. Or would sleeping for a minute or two suffice?

Well, all other mobs have it - since skipping night won't work if not all players asleep - why not add it? It shouldn't be very hard. And let it be seen for a little while in single player too - I always wanted to see for example how Wilson enters the Tent and gets out in the morning, not how he stands from ground in front of it.

What if someone in your game is wickerbottom? No one can ever sleep ever again

And if there is going to be multiplayer, with people you don't trust, how do you prevent some nob walking into your base with a hammer, destroying everything, burning down the entire world, and then leaving for the next server?

You should be able to issue permissions to individual players.

"Visitor"

"Attack-Only"

"Full-Power"

What if someone in your game is wickerbottom? No one can ever sleep ever again

Well, then there will be no fast skipping nights at all, as there is no skipping nights in single player as Wickerbottom. And the rest will have to watch sleeping animation, while recovering sanity and health. There is no alternative without disabling night\dusk skipping function completely.

Of course I trust Klei will think something to avoid situation, where everyone will hate Wickerbottom players for disabling night skip.

This is a solid idea, a couple of thoughts however:

How would durability work?

Maybe a tent/rug will have a fixed number of minutes for use and once you reach that limit it disappears as normal.

Will sleeping still delay events (hounds/giants)?

Normally if I hear the sound of hounds during the night I sleep and skip to morning, would this no longer be possible?

What will be the regeneration per second be? 

Would one have to wait in a tent all night to get the equivalent health/sanity bonuses. Or would sleeping for a minute or two suffice?

You would see the tents durability when you mouse over it. It's a pretty easy and logical solution.

No, you will no longer be able to delay those events, that's how it's meant to be played.

You are safe from Charlie while inside the tent, Don't know what the regen per sec would be though, what do you think?

And if there is going to be multiplayer, with people you don't trust, how do you prevent some nob walking into your base with a hammer, destroying everything, burning down the entire world, and then leaving for the next server?

You should be able to issue permissions to individual players.

"Visitor"

"Attack-Only"

"Full-Power"

And for this I think restriction of hammer\staff vandalism completely is a good option. Just make it so, that only player who built something can take it apart. And its not like you'll be playing with random guys picked for you by system. Invite someone you trust. And if they spoil your fun - they weren't such good friends after all.

You would see the tents durability when you mouse over it. It's a pretty easy and logical solution.

No, you will no longer be able to delay those events, that's how it's meant to be played.

You are safe from Charlie while inside the tent, Don't know what the regen per sec would be though, what do you think?

About sleeping I think it should play like this: if you enter tent or use a straw rool and someone stays awake - we see sleeping animation. When it ends in the morning - you receive your buff to sanity\hp. And if you woke up earier - no restoration at all. And for durability - leave the 5 uses to tent (no heal - no durability loss - if you woke up early - you don't recover, but tent does not lose durability). Thats just my opinion though.

And for this I think restriction of hammer\staff vandalism completely is a good option. Just make it so, that only player who built something can take it apart. And its not like you'll be playing with random guys picked for you by system. Invite someone you trust. And if they spoil your fun - they weren't such good friends after all.

Well to first answer your point on how you say you should only invite people you trust, I feel this isn't a solid solution. For one I think Klei is encouraging people to play with other people who they have potentially never met. As for myself, I don't know anyone who plays Don't Starve and I certainly don't want to miss out on multiplayer so a public server maybe the only option for me... 

I do like the idea of almost "possessing" specific structures that no one else can destroy but you. But another griefing though comes to mind;

Random person joins.

Collects a lot of stone.

Rams your base full of stone walls.

And now your stuck with a mess of a base because you cannot remove other people's structures.

About sleeping I think it should play like this: if you enter tent or use a straw rool and someone stays awake - we see sleeping animation. When it ends in the morning - you receive your buff to sanity\hp. And if you woke up earier - no restoration at all. And for durability - leave the 5 uses to tent (no heal - no durability loss - if you woke up early - you don't recover, but tent does not lose durability). Thats just my opinion though.

I was just about to suggest a fixed time for the bonuses rather than a constant regeneration! And you should only be able to get the benefit once per night.

How long will this fixed time be also? All night? Half? I can't see a lot of people wanting to use tents if they are forced to wait considerable amounts of time to something otherwise instant in single player.

I was just about to suggest a fixed time for the bonuses rather than a constant regeneration! And you should only be able to get the benefit once per night.

How long will this fixed time be also? All night? Half? I can't see a lot of people wanting to use tents if they are forced to wait considerable amounts of time to something otherwise instant in single player.

Nights are rarely so long, that its causes irritation to wait... Until you have a Miner Hat or Tent to skip it - you mainly just spend your time around fire or crafting something. So its won't be so bad if players have to wait a little. There will be time time to think your next steps through.

And if you woke up early and then returned to the tent to sleep - you will not recover anything until morning, so it will not be possible to use tents more than 1 time per night\dusk.

Nights are rarely so long, that its causes irritation to wait... Until you have a Miner Hat or Tent to skip it - you mainly just spend your time around fire or crafting something. So its won't be so bad if players have to wait a little. There will be time time to think your next steps through.

And if you woke up early and then returned to the tent to sleep - you will not recover anything until morning, so it will not be possible to use tents more than 1 time per night\dusk.

Oh I see so the sleep bonuses are only rewarded at dawn?

Well to first answer your point on how you say you should only invite people you trust, I feel this isn't a solid solution. For one I think Klei is encouraging people to play with other people who they have potentially never met. As for myself, I don't know anyone who plays Don't Starve and I certainly don't want to miss out on multiplayer so a public server maybe the only option for me... 

I do like the idea of almost "possessing" specific structures that no one else can destroy but you. But another griefing though comes to mind;

Random person joins.

Collects a lot of stone.

Rams your base full of stone walls.

And now your stuck with a mess of a base because you cannot remove other people's structures.

Well as I explained earlier in this thread - "random person" cannot just join from nowhere and come grief the hell out of your base. I hate the idea of "completely open games" like that. You chat here or on steam with some people. See a person who you think is trustwotrthy enough and then invite him\her to play, providing coordinates of your world and password (which you can just change on the fly, so someone that dissapointted you cannot enter again). If its your world - they cannot change your password. If you were invited - you cannot change their. Simple as that. But i see your point, if some troll decides to set your base on fire for laughs that won't be fun at all. I am still thinking on how t prevent that.

Oh I see so the sleep bonuses are only rewarded at dawn?

Yup) So you wake up in the morning - you healed up. You wake at night to fight attackers or if you decided not to lose time - you're not healed.

Well as I explained earlier in this thread - "random person" cannot just join from nowhere and come grief the hell out of your base. I hate the idea of "completely open games" like that. You chat here or on steam with some people. See a person who you think is trustwotrthy enough and then invite him\her to play, providing coordinates of your world and password (which you can just change on the fly, so someone that dissapointted you cannot enter again). If its your world - they cannot change your password. If you were invited - you cannt change their. Simple as that. But i see your point, if some troll decides to set your base on fire for laughs that won't be fun at all. I am still thinking on how t prevent that.

Yup) So you wake up in the morning - you healed up. You wake at night to fight attackers or if you decided not to lose time - you're not healed.

Would there be a fixed time required for sleeping?

Or could you sleep for just the very end part of the night?

If the later option then there is no point to ever sleeping at any other point in a night. Is that bad?

Would there be a fixed time required for sleeping?

Or could you sleep for just the very end part of the night?

If the later option then there is no point to ever sleeping at any other point in a night. Is that bad?

Nope) Just like in singleplayer you can use tent when there are 2 seconds left from night and still heal up.

Yes, just like it is in singleplayer part of DS

No, since at night you freeze (in winter) and loose sanity. You can sleep earlier to avoid sanity loss and freezing (at night it is more cold). And if everyone decides to sleep early - you skip dusk\night entirely and with it dangerous time when spiders come out for example.

And of course thats just my own vision of things. No one really knows what Klei will like and implement))

Well as I explained earlier in this thread - "random person" cannot just join from nowhere and come grief the hell out of your base. I hate the idea of "completely open games" like that. You chat here or on steam with some people. See a person who you think is trustwotrthy enough and then invite him\her to play, providing coordinates of your world and password (which you can just change on the fly, so someone that dissapointted you cannot enter again). If its your world - they cannot change your password. If you were invited - you cannot change their. Simple as that. But i see your point, if some troll decides to set your base on fire for laughs that won't be fun at all. I am still thinking on how t prevent that.

It's going to happen to someone eventually; day 300 world; old bell in middle of base; burn all items on the floor. Someones going to be mad.

I don't know, perhaps leave this part of development to the modding community, for instance minecraft doesn't have any grief protection in the vanilla. But a modder created such things as "claiming land", so we'll have to see.

It's going to happen to someone eventually; day 300 world; old bell in middle of base; burn all items on the floor. Someones going to be mad.

I don't know, perhaps leave this part of development to the modding community, for instance minecraft doesn't have any grief protection in the vanilla. But a modder created such things as "claiming land", so we'll have to see.

I am quite sure when devs decided to work on MP for Don't Starve - they had something in mind for situations like that. And as you said - DS modding community is quite strong as well - what is not there - they'll make it.

I am still thinking how to prevent things like crazy pyromaniacs burning your base down, so anything that'll come to mind I post here for people to see and criticize. I am sure we'll find the answer)

Nope) Just like in singleplayer you can use tent when there are 2 seconds left from night and still heal up.

Yes, just like it is in singleplayer part of DS

No, since at night you freeze (in winter) and loose sanity. You can sleep earlier to avoid sanity loss and freezing (at night it is more cold). And if everyone decides to sleep early - you skip dusk\night entirely and with it dangerous time when spiders come out for example.

And of course thats just my own vision of things. No one really knows what Klei will like and implement))

Oh I like that, the Seista Lean-Two will gradually bring down your temperature whilst inside also.

"And if everyone decides to sleep early - you skip dusk\night entirely" - But a wickerbottom in your world? 

Archived