How to Rebalance Don't Starve for Multiplayer? Console Commands Yes/No? page 16

But what if he/she doesn't get insane too? What if only you are insane? Would it be right that if one player gets careless the whole team suffers?

Well, managing each others sanity should be a group priority as well. Though, with a group of strangers playing together, your bound to get people who don't care about each other.

Maybe a sanity bonus for being near other players, kinda like the Glommer. Obvs balancing needed, but that could be a decent idea to ensure that the team usually sticks together, and if one dies because someone doesnt look after them, sanity bonus lost :o

But what if he/she doesn't get insane too? What if only you are insane? Would it be right that if one player gets careless the whole team suffers?

no, I think only the insane players would be able to see the hallucinations, kinda like how pigs and other followers can't see them(which makes me wonder about beardlings/lords)

Well in regards to world customization, who would get to pick? if we have groups playing it would be weird to have customization because only one player would get to  control it and that doesn't seem fair.

The "sanity creatures" are just creatures drawn to insane people right? I remember hearing this, and seeing it proven somewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also do we know if RoG will be compatible with this?

Well in regards to world customization, who would get to pick? if we have groups playing it would be weird to have customization because only one player would get to  control it and that doesn't seem fair.

I would presume the Host is in control. I wonder if a "kick" feature will be implemented, so I can boot out my brother when he eats my only dragon pie I been saving in the ice box.

The "sanity creatures" are just creatures drawn to insane people right? I remember hearing this, and seeing it proven somewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also do we know if RoG will be compatible with this?

Yes it will be. Also you can't play with someone who doesn't have RoG and you do if you have RoG activated.

Okay.

I think if you play in a public server there will be a lot of people who likes to set fire trees.

When the multiplayer come out i will save some birchnuts and pines seeds.

I can hear tree farms.

I haven't seen much discussion about how some character's would have to be tweaked to fit into multiplayer. I think that each character should have unique traits to be a nuisance to other players and also possibly be helpful. For example someone on another thread thought about how Maxwell and Webber should have a passive sanity drain on everyone in close vicinity, maybe the same thing but much more severe with Woodie's werebeaver form. The positives would not really need to be added as most of the characters would be able to work together pretty easily.

Another thing that would need some thought are the meat effigies. If Klei plans on only allowing one character per world and no clones this would help a bit. My proposition is to have unique meat effigies for each character instead of everyone making Wilson effigies. This would clear up confusion in multiplayer and might even make it easier to code.

All i've got for now

For example someone on another thread thought about how Maxwell and Webber should have a passive sanity drain on everyone in close vicinity, maybe the same thing but much more severe with Woodie's werebeaver form. 

I think this is a really good idea. That would help force away characters that realistically should be away from the other players. Secondly you wouldn't be able to easily let Woodie tank everything for you in Beaver Form without losing some serious sanity.

Klei, please, oh please... Do not fall into the trap of scaling things up with the number of players present. Don't penalize players for joining a game. You want to encourage players to play together in multiplayer. Before everyone screams "Then it'll be too easy!" hear me out...

Diablo is a loot-based game. You add more players, you then increase the difficulty and the loot drop amount and/or quality. It makes sense. More people makes the game harder but more rewarding. Don't Starve does not have randomized stats and loot tables like that. Killing a pig gives a chance to drop 2 different items... adding more players and upping the difficulty does not then up the rewards. The pig will not then drop 6 meats and an epic quality pig butt just because there's 4 people in the game. More people -> Higher difficulty + No reward gains = No reason to bother playing with other people.

I want other people there to make the game easier in a team sense. One person work on base expansion, one person work on scouting, one person resource gathering, and the last one start tracking that darned Koalephant, cuz there's 4 of us that need coats now.

The sensible answer is to simply up your game's difficulty with the options tab from the get go if you want a brutal multiplayer experience. It's going to be hard enough keeping 4 mouths fed, having the resources of one world split 4 ways, having your respawn thingies work only once when you've got 4 people on the verge of death, having only one Chester. You're going to be burning through grass and twigs for torches at a ridiculous pace. Imagine 4 people murdering bunnies and birds simultaneously. Krampus is going to be constantly raiding.

So, before ratcheting up the health and damage of monsters, we need to consider the massive impact more players will have on the economy. If four players means quadruple the Koalephant health... there's no reason to have multiple players there. There's no gain. Especially if he isn't going to drop 4 trunks.

Alright.

I'm going on a partial rant here.

First things first, lets look at the mechanics of single player Don't Starve.

There is already a general pressure on all your resources. Most rarer items that are non renewable are balanced, because only one person will need them. Not only is loot a problem, but so is the exploration and time system. What if one player is in caves and three are in the overworld? what happens then? Also, things like Chester were made for only single player explorations. Bosses have to be harder, or they will be too easy. However, with harder bosses, it just might be more viable to avoid the bosses altogether as the drops are the same. Also, some characters can easily mess with the mechanics of others. Sanity and hallucinations, Woodie's axe and wearbeaver, Wickerbottom's books and Wigfried's special equipment. How will all this be handled when other players pick them up?

Overall, I think multiplayer Don't Starve is a very promising area to go to. However, there are many things that need to be fixed or accounted for if they plan to release by summer.

This is what I would do sinse all my mates are not really into this game and never played it before:

Autum: very long (50 days)

Winter: long (25 days)

Spring: long (30 days)

Summer: default (15 days)

Season start: Autumn

Carrots: more

Berry bushes: more

Hounds on hound attacks: default

All giants: more

Spiders: more

Clockworks: more (must be fixed to not to spawn too much)

Tentacles: more

Grass: more

Twigs: more

Etc.

Well that's how I'd make my world, to make stuff harder, thought me and the others will need resourses so this is how it would be to make it fun yet survivable.

@collect12 I was thinking about Chester as well.

Will each player now get their own Chester?

Hopefully each party is restricted to max 4 (any more and things get too out of hand). So will having 4 Chesters in game be right?

Will we be able to store our loot in a friends Chester?

If there are 4 Chesters shouldn't there be a 4th new type of Chester?

If things get scaled up in difficulty can Chester have the ability to attack? Maybe a paralysing Gastly Lick attack?

4 Chesters mean 4 of the same thing tanking and distracting monsters.

Should Chester have regeneration of health?

Should Chester come back to life when spawned?

What are your thoughts?

I hope this is done eventually, it really needs to be in game.

My feeling exactly. But everyone including myself shared ideas on the Varg idea to fit into Single player. I've added a new comment on page 9, have a read. Maybe you can help rebalance the idea for multiplayer?

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/34341-wargs-part-of-hound-attacks-hit-150-votes-for-yes-updated-with-a-new-idea-edit-3/

Archived