Cannibalism (not a joke this time)

Cannibalism (not a joke this time)   

432 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cannibalism be a thing in the game?

• Yes. Embrace the dark side!
    • No. You psycho...

What if... if your sanity is low enough to attack nightmare creatures, then isntead of seeing the corpse of a player, you see a nightmare creature idling around them. When you kill it, it doesn't drop nightmare fuel and the like, but it drops bones and meat :D. Then you realize you were actually hitting the body of a player, uh oh :/. Picking the bones or meat up further decreases sanity, eating the emat drops it to 0.

Oh, and I think standing near the bdoy of a dead player should slowly decrease sanity, and picking their dropped items also a little bit. But burying and digging a grave etc would increase sanity.

Seeing as how you immediately turn into a skeleton, maybe bone bits would be a better drop for dead players? It'd also make sense that spiders or other mobs would eat all the flesh on a dead player.

I think this would not be something most players would find ok. You will turn more players away from the game, then the people you will interest. And the forum polls don't represent the entire playerbase.

You can't honestly believe a feature like this would drive people away. That's silly. Especially when you can choose to completely avoid it with no consequences whatsoever.

You can't honestly believe a feature like this would drive people away. That's silly. Especially when you can choose to completely avoid it with no consequences whatsoever.

But it won´t make sense:

- Players aren´t monsters.

- Human meat wouldn´t hurt your health.

Anyway, none of this matter, there is no way this is being implemented in the game, so you can stay calm.

Actually, Kuru and other diseases do come from eating human bodies. 

Hey, if people want multiplayer, then they should have to deal with the uncomfortable questions that arise a la Donner Party and Lord of the Flies.  In the second case, we're already all set having pigs in the world.  Team Piggy!

Yes, having a player such as Wigfrid and Wolfgang going on killing parties would devastate Wendy and Maxwell, as well as other non-combat oriented players. Shame though, I love tanking as Wigfrid.

Even without cannibalism, it is pretty much guaranteed that that´s going to happen anyway. Attacks from bandits and killers will happen no matter what. 

What if... if your sanity is low enough to attack nightmare creatures, then isntead of seeing the corpse of a player, you see a nightmare creature idling around them. When you kill it, it doesn't drop nightmare fuel and the like, but it drops bones and meat :grin:. Then you realize you were actually hitting the body of a player, uh oh :/. Picking the bones or meat up further decreases sanity, eating the emat drops it to 0.

Oh, and I think standing near the bdoy of a dead player should slowly decrease sanity, and picking their dropped items also a little bit. But burying and digging a grave etc would increase sanity.

I definitely agree with your second point. Don´t really understand your first though.  

I think this would not be something most players would find ok. You will turn more players away from the game, then the people you will interest. And the forum polls don't represent the entire playerbase.

Why would it turn players away? It´s not something mandatory you have to do, it´s your choice. 

Why would it turn players away? It´s not something mandatory you have to do, it´s your choice. 

Because it exists as a game element. Were you around back when the magic tab was the satanic circle? They changed that because people didn't like it.

Because it exists as a game element. Were you around back when the magic tab was the satanic circle? They changed that because people didn't like it.

You really believe people are not going to attack you and kill you otherwise? If there is any mechanics of PVP (such as being able to hit a player) I will guarantee you that there will be bandits and murderers out there, trying to get your stuff. . Cannibals or not. There is no way of getting around that

And the mechanic of cannibalism ins´t for you to have a gang of cannibals, the game doesn´t encourage that (if you had read, human meat would reduce sanity), it would only be something that would come up when a character dies from some other means, and you were in a very desperate situation, If you were starting to, like, die of starvation/exposure/etc, a Donner Party dinner might seem like a better idea...

You really believe people are not going to attack you and kill you otherwise? If there is any mechanics of PVP (such as being able to hit a player) I will guarantee you that there will be bandits and murderers out there, trying to get your stuff. . Cannibals or not. There is no way of getting around that

And the mechanic of cannibalism ins´t for you to have a gang of cannibals, the game doesn´t encourage that (if you had read, human meat would reduce sanity), it would only be something that would come up when a character dies from some other means, and you were in a very desperate situation, If you were starting to, like, die of starvation/exposure/etc, a Donner Party dinner might seem like a better idea...

What? If there is pvp, then yes they will attack me. But eating human meat is rather gorey for any game. Don't Starve doesn't and shouldn't do gore. I don't care what human meat would do, it doesn't matter. I am not going to eat  little girl meat.

Don't starve is a spooky dark game, not a gorey dark game. 

I respectfully don't like this idea. It would put me off, cannibalism is in my opinion unnatural and anyone who does it deserves to die, irregardless of the circumstances. It also doesn't seem like something that characters like Maxwell (too proud and refined) and Wendy (who would probably accept her death if she was close enough to it to resort to cannibalism anyway) would do.

It also just doesn't fit in with the Lovecraft-esque theme of Don't Starve. Giant tentacles that try to kill you? Sure. A tree that gets up and disembowels you if you cut down too many of it's bretheren? Okay. A human being intentionally devouring another human being? Maybe you should go watch Silence of the Lambs (which is a great movie, just not the same theme as DT) instead of playing this game. 

What? If there is pvp, then yes they will attack me. But eating human meat is rather gorey for any game. Don't Starve doesn't and shouldn't do gore. I don't care what human meat would do, it doesn't matter. I am not going to eat  little girl meat.

Don't starve is a spooky dark game, not a gorey dark game. 

Skyrim is totally not a gory dark game. Granted, not a super clean nice game, but the focus is not gory grimdark. HOWEVER, there are MULTIPLE ways/reasons you can end up eating human flesh in Skyrim. Alchemy reasons, being a werewolf, religious reasons, etc.

And for folks that are simply put off by the idea, I respectfully disagree...even in real life, I value my life above my morals, and I'd gladly eat my dead BFF if it meant I lived another day (I wouldn't KILL him to eat him, but if a bear got him....) He, while seeing me as his BFF as well... would not do the same. He'd bury me and await his impending death. It's all on a personal level, if ya think about it. If the option to eat a dead player is there, then they need the option to bury, too; the more I read here, the more I feel it'd be necessity for both to be in if one was.

Skyrim is totally not a gory dark game. Granted, not a super clean nice game, but the focus is not gory grimdark. HOWEVER, there are MULTIPLE ways/reasons you can end up eating human flesh in Skyrim. Alchemy reasons, being a werewolf, religious reasons, etc.

And for folks that are simply put off by the idea, I respectfully disagree...even in real life, I value my life above my morals, and I'd gladly eat my dead BFF if it meant I lived another day (I wouldn't KILL him to eat him, but if a bear got him....) He, while seeing me as his BFF as well... would not do the same. He'd bury me and await his impending death. It's all on a personal level, if ya think about it. If the option to eat a dead player is there, then they need the option to bury, too; the more I read here, the more I feel it'd be necessity for both to be in if one was.

This isn't real life though, just like how that satanic symbol wasn't. I wasn't put off by it, but I agreed with the removal of it. If its going to bother people, its not the best thing to put in game. Just because most people thought the symbol was better, doesn't mean its smart to keep it. So Klei got rid of it.

I think the cannibalism is worse then the imagery, so it sounds bad to implement it. I asked some of the players I know, and eating a dead little girl did not sound like a good thing to put into a game.

Archived