Here's an idea that I have.

One player (Or multiple) plays as the survivor. They'd do what you expect them to, collect, build, avoid starving, etc.

However, my idea is that there could be a mode in which there is a game-master point of view. He gets to generate obstacles and benefits for the survivor. His goal would be to kill the survivor(s).

I can hear some of you going: "Then just spawn thirty deerclopses and kill all teh wilsons, dumdum.". Obviously, there would need to be some balancing. So, my idea is that everything negative has a cost of points. These points are generated by giving good things to the survivor. Want to send five hounds at the survivor(s)? That will cost ten points. In order to get these points, you need to do something like grow ten carrots for the survivor(s).

Of course, they shouldn't be called something as generic as "points", but you get the idea. Feedback, be it good or bad, is welcome.

I think that would be a good idea, but I suggest that the Maxwell player change every round and that people get to vote for who it is. This would only work in private matches because otherwise everyone would just vote for themselves because strangers are selfish, but it's an idea.

That would be interesting to see. I have played a few games like that where one player is the GM vs the rest of the group and it is very fun. Only issue though is that Don't Starve is a long term game, having sessions that can last for hours. Also it is very slow at times, which means that the GM would be sitting there for a while as his points stack up. 

I think that would be a fantastic idea, however to make this fun and engaging for both the survivor(s) as well as the GM, for hours into the game would be very difficult.

You would have to come up with whole new mechanics for the GM to limit them (just spawning hundreds of wolves to kill the survivor(s) on the first night is no fun, yet sitting around and doing nothing is also boring)

I imagine things would have a cooldown as well. Like you couldn't just plant 800 carrots to get points to spawn 30 Deerclops, when you spawn one, the cooldown would probably last roughly the same amount of time it takes for another Clopsie attack in vanilla. 

I think that would be a good idea, but I suggest that the Maxwell player change every round and that people get to vote for who it is. This would only work in private matches because otherwise everyone would just vote for themselves because strangers are selfish, but it's an idea.

Hmm... Yeah, that makes sense. Stupid Selfish Strangers, ruining everything. Thanks for the feedback!

That would be interesting to see. I have played a few games like that where one player is the GM vs the rest of the group and it is very fun. Only issue though is that Don't Starve is a long term game, having sessions that can last for hours. Also it is very slow at times, which means that the GM would be sitting there for a while as his points stack up. 

Huh... I guess so. Perhaps the survivor(s) would start with something like default plus, where they get a big head start, and the GM starts with a good amount of points. Thanks for pointing that out!

I think that would be a fantastic idea, however to make this fun and engaging for both the survivor(s) as well as the GM, for hours into the game would be very difficult.

You would have to come up with whole new mechanics for the GM to limit them (just spawning hundreds of wolves to kill the survivor(s) on the first night is no fun, yet sitting around and doing nothing is also boring)

Addressed in the OP. I think my idea limits them adequately...

I imagine things would have a cooldown as well. Like you couldn't just plant 800 carrots to get points to spawn 30 Deerclops, when you spawn one, the cooldown would probably last roughly the same amount of time it takes for another Clopsie attack in vanilla. 

I hadn't thought of that, but I suppose that would be correct. Thanks!

This would work like Dungeonland (a game where 3 heroes try to fight an evil mage, player controlled that he spawns all the monsters using cards that he gets over time). Or zombie master hl2 mod wich works almost the same (regeneration of points to make traps/zombies over time)

This would work like Dungeonland (a game where 3 heroes try to fight an evil mage, player controlled that he spawns all the monsters using cards that he gets over time). Or zombie master hl2 mod wich works almost the same (regeneration of points to make traps/zombies over time)

Yeah, Dungeonland came to mind when I was working this idea out. I just like Dungeon Master games, what can I say? I feel like there's a lack of them, too.

I believe this would be a viable option as long as it's the Adventure Mode kind of gameplay, where players will have to go through 5 worlds in order to get to Maxwell and confront him. If they all die, game over. This would make the game much faster, since sandbox can last for more than 300 in-game days.

Perhaps in order to be the game master, you have to go through that game master's 'adventure mode' that they have made and take them off the Nightmare throne by surviving their gauntlet of challenges.

Yeah, Dungeonland came to mind when I was working this idea out. I just like Dungeon Master games, what can I say? I feel like there's a lack of them, too.

Couldn't agree more.

Question is, what if someone is playing as the playable Maxwell in this? Would his playable character simply be unavailable? Or what it be from the perspective of Them?

Then it would be wilson, being corrupted by *them* just like maxwell?

OMG, that's the first multiplayer idea that I've heard that really sounds awesome to me.

I love games with "dungeon masters" in them!

The lack of that genre disgusts me. ;.;

I believe this would be a viable option as long as it's the Adventure Mode kind of gameplay, where players will have to go through 5 worlds in order to get to Maxwell and confront him. If they all die, game over. This would make the game much faster, since sandbox can last for more than 300 in-game days.

That makes a lot of sense. In all the Maxwell-ness, I forgot to give the surivor(s) a goal.

But I also sort of like sandbox mode, Maxwellified. Because this isn't your normal sandbox, this is where another human being, one with a consciousness and an ability to think human thoughts, is actively trying to destroy you in any way possible. I'm sure it would last shorter than the average sandbox.

Question is, what if someone is playing as the playable Maxwell in this? Would his playable character simply be unavailable? Or what it be from the perspective of Them?

A perspective of them would be more fitting, I suppose. Then again, Maxwell is fairly powerful, almost significantly more so than some of the others. Then again again, those who have earned him deserve to play as him. I'd say playing as Them would be a better idea. Thanks for pointing that out!

Perhaps in order to be the game master, you have to go through that game master's 'adventure mode' that they have made and take them off the Nightmare throne by surviving their gauntlet of challenges.

I see it more as a different gamemode than one that occurs during a normal multiplayer game. Like a different option or something. But that could work...

Use Phonograph for best gameplay experience. 

But of course! What's a Maxwell without that wonderful music?

Hey!

Even your name implies the danger of strangers. How could you disagree?

OMG, that's the first multiplayer idea that I've heard that really sounds awesome to me.

I love games with "dungeon masters" in them!

Wow, thanks! I do too.

The lack of that genre disgusts me. ;.;

Definitely.

Sounds like a great idea!

I guess you wouldn't even need the voting system to decide who is the person on the throne, if he / she had to go through some kind of challenges to get there (like in the adventure mode). That would also give the survivors a goal - to get through those challenges and kick the current game master off the throne. xD

The point system could work, if done well..

And if all the players had to pick one character that couldn't be the same as some other player has, then there wouldn't be the problem of "multiple Maxwells" (of course, in my idea, the person on the throne could be any of the characters)

Just some brainstorming, since I like your idea.. ^^"

Maybe it would be available only through a adventure door or the teleportation gate in question like a minigame, if you win, you get to choose to keep 4 items like the teleportato to bring back to your world, and if you die you return to your own world with nothing.

although not really my style, and somewhat complicated to balance around, if did properly(read:the Klei way) it could work nicely

Well, I suppose not everyone likes the GM genre. Thanks for commenting/reading.

Sounds like a great idea!

I guess you wouldn't even need the voting system to decide who is the person on the throne, if he / she had to go through some kind of challenges to get there (like in the adventure mode). That would also give the survivors a goal - to get through those challenges and kick the current game master off the throne. xD

The point system could work, if done well..

And if all the players had to pick one character that couldn't be the same as some other player has, then there wouldn't be the problem of "multiple Maxwells" (of course, in my idea, the person on the throne could be any of the characters)

Just some brainstorming, since I like your idea.. ^^"

So, like a king-of-the-hill type thing... That sounds fun. Maybe the challenge can be something like a custom made map... Maybe each GM can add more every time they get on the throne, so it gets harder each time? Glad you like my idea, I like yours,

I could take 'em!

You need a nerf.

Maybe it would be available only through a adventure door or the teleportation gate in question like a minigame, if you win, you get to choose to keep 4 items like the teleportato to bring back to your world, and if you die you return to your own world with nothing.

Perhaps... I would prefer the survivor(s)'s world to constantly be under the rule of our GM, though.

too!

Archived