Non Co-OP mutilplayer mode?

Taking the idea a few others and myself developed on, but was posted in an unrelated thread.

Imagine 4 people, all spawning in different areas of the map. The goal is to be the last one standing. What do you, the community, think about this idea? I know the combat system makes it seem like PvP would be terrible, but with a few tweaks I think it could be awesome! Imagine raiding another player in the dead of night, during a intense thunderstorm. It seems like it could be a very thrilling experience. 

Anyone else think this would be a good idea? Or anyone have any other ideas? :)

This would invite only griefers into public games.

You can't really grief in a deathmatch. 

Devs already revealed with the puzzle that: the first player will spawn like in single player don't starve and the rest through the Wilson's door as we call it.

While the puzzle did reveal that, I imagine it might be a bit different then just making a door and other people come in. There will defiantly be some new menus that deal with joining and hosting multiplayer, and along with that you could choose Co-Op or "hunt mode" or something along those lines

A long time ago, in a thread far, far away I said this:

"I think Don't Starve would be ruined with multiplayer. I can already have a multiplayer experience with Terraria or Minecraft, and those games were built with mechanics with multiplayer in mind, unlike Don't Starve.

I can already see the beginning meta in PvP multiplayer "Don't Starve;" burn everything. The opposing faction can't build log suits, much less a basic campfire, if all their resources are up in flames. Might as well just play Little Inferno with the steam chat on for a similar experience.

And what would permadeath be like in a multiplayer Don't Starve PvP game? Someone dies and then they're just banned from the server until the game is over? And when would the game be over? After there's only one survivor left in a barren wasteland of an island with all the resources ravaged and squandered? Or does the game now continue with the last surviving survivor and we have to wait until he/she dies or purposely offs themselves?

Giant fortresses? With what materials? Can't make walls out of grass or wood, they're countered with a torch. That leaves stone and thulecite, as if players would have the luxury to delve into the ruins to pick some up and use a psuedoscience station to make some before leaving the caves, meaning the only practical option is stone, which even if you bothered to gather the materials for it, a hammer takes it down fairly quick anyway.

Don't Starve would have to be rebuilt from the ground up with multiplayer in mind in order to become what you want it to be, and as such, cease to be Don't Starve, at least what it embodies now. What you really want is a 2D Rust. Why don't you just go play Rust to satisfy your need for merciless competitive PvP survival and play this when want something different?"

There's still quite a few things in it I stand by. Fire is an issue. 2 out of the 3 realistic wall choices are completely not viable. Not only that, but what are players supposed to do once killed? Sit there waiting for days for the rest of the match to finish? And what reward is given to the victor, the survivor standing on top of the pile of corpses at his/her feet? To explore and endure a ravaged, squandered, and resource barren wasteland?

If PvP multiplayer is coming to Don't Starve there is going to have to be some kinks worked out and some rebalancing done to say the least.

I feel like the only way a competitive mode would work is if everyone was confined to a separate area. The goal wouldn't be to kill your enemy, it would be to outlast them. Of course there could always be craft-able items that would allow you to affect the other player's world.

I like this idea, as long as the World size is increased, and combat in general is rethought.(because really, it was already broken before...96% damage reduction with 1 pig sking 8 logs and some grass is not balance)
but it could be more of a Anarchy kind, where people can get along and make trades and work together... or they can not and just put each other's heads on sticks and set their bases on fire...

I feel it is neither a bad or good idea, I am quite honestly indifferent to it.  However it does bring into play if it is LAN based games, private server games, or public games... Whether some sort of pvp is allowed or if it is just cooperative...and as I've stated elsewhere, how you deal with people who's sole purpose of entering your game is to grief other players.

You guys sure are friendly, huh? xD Sorry that I have ideas :razz: Co-Op will only go so far before it results in 4 guys standing around asking what to do next

WE DON'T WANT HUNGER GAMES IN DON'T STARVE "HUNGER GAMES SUCKS" no offence it was made for minecraft NOTHING else 

I think don't starve no Co-op would be fun. (No hate please xD ) Imagine a world where it was Don't Starve, just with an extra challenge, like a giant. Except for you can be that challenge and actually benefit from it.

I'm hoping for a pvp option. I used to play pvp on Minecraft, and it was always fun to compete with other players. I don't mean griefing, of course, but consentual pvp.

Am I the only person how thinks that killing another player would/should result in a instant/no-stop invasion of multiply Krampuses? After all, what is naughtier...than cold blooded murder?! (Other than beating them within an inch of death and leaving them in the middle of nowhere to slowly die of starvation)

Don't Starve is a survival game. Multiplayer, should be quite simply, survival. Whether there is a coop element involved, that would depend on the players playing at the moment. Yes, there could be friendly-fire features and the like, but at its bare minimum, I believe it should be unrestricted. Players play as if they were in a real situation, co-operative interaction could be made up based on in-game interaction, rather than forced via code.

My 2 cents.

-Crynux

WE DON'T WANT HUNGER GAMES IN DON'T STARVE "HUNGER GAMES SUCKS" no offence it was made for minecraft NOTHING else 

Actually, I would love Hunger Games for Don't Starve. Nothing fits more perfectly, really. A bunch of people trying to survive, while Maxwell as the game master lays out traps for them. It fits perfectly, from the concept to the name.

I'd say that in order for PvP to work, there should be strictly confined areas for each player that are guarded by some form of natural hazard for the player to conquer before he can even get to his fellow players. That would require him to firstly harvest resources of his own, eliminating the option of ALL MOST BURN, at least for a while.

Archived