I feel like the game's being weakened, a bit

Well for me the ending went well with the game because it tells the player what they need to know. It shows you why Maxwell is doing what he does, who Charlie is, and, because this is don't starve it isn't a 'happy game' you get the ending that fits in, you don't go home you get trapped in the don't starve universe forever. I also think the multiplayer would be good but I would only play with my close friends.

Maybe.

I want someone with the big red text to come on down here and quell my anxiety though. I want to know what Klei thinks about the prospect of more SP content.

From within the forums themselves:

If you prefer the single player game, multiplayer gameplay shouldn't affect or impact your experience. If anything, having multiplayer may even allow us to add non-multiplayer content to the SP experience that may not have been possible before. 

Hopefully that eases your worries.

Who said multiplayer was the final update? In fact, adding multiplayer earlier relieves stress from the devs since they have less to worry about. If they simultaneously work on Together and another update, it'd take a very long time. Wait for Summer 2014 and see how Together turns out.

Well, they still haven't elaborated on the backstories of the other characters yet. All we have left are the assumptions. So maybe through this our characters will have something to say about each other, and we can all learn something new.

There are some good character mods that could shine a bit brighter if we could add custom animations for eff's sake. But yeah, this leaves me happy and angry at the same time!

Skorp, all games need some sort of closure. Hell, have Wilson conquering Them and building a new civilization on the islands for all I care. Minecraft has The End. Don't Starve has a big pile of nothing.

Although, to be honest, the End kinda sucks.....

Although, to be honest, the End kinda sucks.....

It sucks a lot. You fight this purple dragon for no reason and then get this 10 minute scrolling wall of text that basically tells you to go outside. At least the music that plays is during it is good.

For what it's worth, I'm fine with the ending of adventure mode. It is a somewhat happy ending, for Maxwell at least. Story wise I don't think DS can be developed that further without revealing the creepy stuff Klei wants to keep secret. Maxwell's entire story is told for the most part, and the other characters can be interpreted as falling for one of his tricks. 

The late-game turns into a total lack of ideas on what to do outside of canon. What's the point of surviving if there's no end to it?!

Can you elaborate more on your feelings about this? I've seen some of your other posts, and am genuinely confused... I mean no disrespect at all, I just don't understand and would like to know more.

For me personally, I normally like an ending to a game as well, although I can definitely be sad that there's no longer any replay value with something I enjoyed (expansion to Little Inferno, anyone?). But there's something about DS that keeps me going and going despite having no closure. This is one of the first games I found that kept me eager to continue playing, regardless of having no idea if or when it will ever end. Maybe it has to do with the math.random involved in each new save. Even though I know what to do to survive, I feel like there's always a chance to become better than I was before, and improve upon my prior experience.

I think the fact that the Nightmare Throne is an endless cycle of switching Puppet Masters is a way of saying there's not going to be any definite ending. Wilson may free Maxwell, but what happens after that is up to interpretation by players. Maybe Maxwell went back for Wilson. Maybe he didn't. Maybe Wilson used his new powers to do the same thing Maxwell did. Maybe Wes becomes the supreme overlord of the entire universe. Who knows. Klei may not even know.

Though... the fact that Klei is willing to divert it's resources to specifically develop multiplayer and hand it out for free for all of us who already own it hints to me that Klei has an inclination that Don't Starve's playerbase is going to significantly grow from this venture.

Is it going to be free? Won't keep me from playing it either way, but I am just curious.

Is it going to be free? Won't keep me from playing it either way, but I am just curious.

For those of us who already have it purchased it's a free update, or so I'm lead to believe.

Don’t Starve Together will be a free expansion for all current owners of Steam / Standalone. Thank you for supporting us!

With the addition of multiplayer, the price of Don’t Starve will go up to $19.99 USD around the time Alpha becomes available.

Alright… Now we’re talking! How much is it going to cost?

I think the fact that the Nightmare Throne is an endless cycle of switching Puppet Masters is a way of saying there's not going to be any definite ending. Wilson may free Maxwell, but what happens after that is up to interpretation by players. Maybe Maxwell went back for Wilson. Maybe he didn't. Maybe Wilson used his new powers to do the same thing Maxwell did. Maybe Wes becomes the supreme overlord of the entire universe. Who knows. Klei may not even know.

We still don't know precisely what happened to Charlie.

Know next to nothing about the origins of Codex Umbra.

We still don't know what They want or what They are all about.

We don't know what the Shadow Watcher's role in all this is. Is he their leader? A high ranking shadow? Merely the herald of the first coming of the shadows?

We know hardly anything about the previous ruined civilization who obviously have some connection with Them.

We don't know who left the broken pillars that litter the Maxwellian biomes as apparently they were already there when Maxwell arrived.

The Glommer only brought more questions to the table without any answers.

Merely saying, "Oh, well, the characters continually wander around the wilderness swapping places on the throne until they die," could very well be the ending, but what the players that are harping on the narrative really want is closure -- there's currently no closure to the game.

Even a game like Dark Souls, which is also very sparse on the narrative elements, at least had a sense of closure to it. Currently playing Don't Starve is like eating cake all day, tastes great, but it leaves you feeling unsatisfied like something's just missing and I think it's due to the lack of closure.

I also think it's due to lack of content aimed at gameplay passed 100+ days as well, to be fair, but I think you get my meaning.

Why would you expect the game to be complete so early? The multiplayer will bring new stuff to the game and the ending is probably far off. It's best to think of ideas to get new DLCs and stuff for the game until at one point, when the game cannot be better: is when we should get a proper ending.

We still don't know precisely what happened to Charlie.

Know next to nothing about the origins of Codex Umbra.

We still don't know what They want or what They are all about.

We don't know what the Shadow Watcher's role in all this is. Is he their leader? A high ranking shadow? Merely the herald of the first coming of the shadows?

We know hardly anything about the previous ruined civilization who obviously have some connection with Them.

We don't know who left the broken pillars that litter the Maxwellian biomes as apparently they were already there when Maxwell arrived.

The Glommer only brought more questions to the table without any answers.

Merely saying, "Oh, well, the characters continually wander around the wilderness swapping places on the throne until they die," could very well be the ending, but what the players that are harping on the narrative really want is closure -- there's currently no closure to the game.

Even a game like Dark Souls, which is also very sparse on the narrative elements, at least had a sense of closure to it. Currently playing Don't Starve is like eating cake all day, tastes great, but it leaves you feeling unsatisfied like something's just missing and I think it's due to the lack of closure.

I also think it's due to lack of content aimed at gameplay passed 100+ days as well, to be fair, but I think you get my meaning.

I don't think there is supposed to be a closure to the game though, hence why adventure mode is an endless cycle. Knowing exactly what happened would take away all of the mystery and creepiness the devs like to keep secret. Don't starve is simply not a story driven game, so it explained with minimal info.

My problem is just that the game in unfinished, it's that...I dunno, it almost seems like Klei is afraid to go through with giving an ending with closure.

What's wrong with the current ending? I think it works great with the general atmosphere of the game, there being no escape and all...

And besides, doesn't the ending say "The mysterious beings that control this place still lurk in the shadows, and new challenges will soon be revealed"?

Archived