I feel like the game's being weakened, a bit

What's wrong with the current ending? I think it works great with the general atmosphere of the game, there being no escape and all...

And besides, doesn't the ending say "The mysterious beings that control this place still lurk in the shadows, and new challenges will soon be revealed"?

The atmosphere is supposed to be one of survival. Surviving until....SOMETHING. Well, that something isn't here yet.

The "ending" does say that, but i've seen nothing suggesting they're working on that.

Although, honestly, the end of a different thread has already shown that maybe they are going to get back on that, so my question is answered, actually.

-ADDING AN ENDING TO THIS GAME

Actually that's not the game's philosophy.

I like the way developers want players imagine the story behind the game. They reveal a little bit, then shut it down after. It doesn't need to be clear, distinct..., consider kind of "open ending". What you want the game to be, is what it is for you. Is it what players actually expect? Yeah freedom in mind. 

To be honest, the only thing that this game has for a direct philosophy is being an uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic. That's the philosophy of this game. And if it's not supposed to pay any attention to an ending, then try to explain Adventure Mode away.

You walk some thin ice when you literally just let players decide how the game ends for you. You being the game devs.

Honestly, maybe I don't WANT to have to make up the ending myself. Maybe I want the people who've crafted everything we've seen so far to tell the story's ending for me.

I don't think there is supposed to be a closure to the game though, hence why adventure mode is an endless cycle. Knowing exactly what happened would take away all of the mystery and creepiness the devs like to keep secret. Don't starve is simply not a story driven game, so it explained with minimal info.

It would if they just outright told us, it wouldn't if they showed us.

I also beg to differ, everyone was on the edge of their seat during the William Carter puzzles which were entirely narrative driven. Was Maxwell's character ruined because now we know more about who he was and how he came to the wilderness? I don't think so.

To be honest, the only thing that this game has for a direct philosophy is being an uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic. That's the philosophy of this game. And if it's not supposed to pay any attention to an ending, then try to explain Adventure Mode away.

You walk some thin ice when you literally just let players decide how the game ends for you. You being the game devs.

Honestly, maybe I don't WANT to have to make up the ending myself. Maybe I want the people who've crafted everything we've seen so far to tell the story's ending for me.

The game actually doesn't has much content to told about the story. Most of what we know is come from klei video on their youtube channel, and on their puzzles. They are not clear like other games. Imagine if you just play the game, you don't read the forum, don't read the wikia, you would know nothing much about the story.

However I really love to know the official game story from developers. If they don't want to share with us, it's okay. I'm fine with mine.

It would if they just outright told us, it wouldn't if they showed us.

I also beg to differ, everyone was on the edge of their seat during the William Carter puzzles which were entirely narrative driven. Was Maxwell's character ruined because now we know more about who he was and how he came to the wilderness? I don't think so.

Those puzzles are their own thing though, outside of the game itself. They don't drive the game in anyway other than answering basic questions of Maxwell's orgin.

Those puzzles are their own thing though, outside of the game itself. They don't drive the game in anyway other than answering basic questions of Maxwell's orgin.

Well if only direct in game examples count, how about the confrontation with Maxwell when he was originally on the throne then?

Well if only direct in game examples count, how about the confrontation with Maxwell when he was originally on the throne then?

I'm pretty sure that confrontation Klei was referring to was metaphorical, as that ending is supposed to be unexpected to players instead of some boss fight like they would think, and that statement was said before the ending was released.

Archived