I feel like the game's being weakened, a bit

Well, this has a been a rather shocking turn of events.

I really want to say that i'm truly excited about this. And while there is a vein of excitement coursing through my veins, I am also a bit dissapointed. Not because of the whiners, not from me swallowing my pride.

I'm directing this at the developers. I am asking you people to explain something to me.

Are you guys going to abandon the base game entirely now?

So much resources, dev time, work, is going to be put into multiplayer. I know it as well as you do. You've done this instead of doing other things that need to be done, such as: 

-Mod support

-Allowing for full animation control

-ADDING AN ENDING TO THIS GAME

Adventure Mode felt like a wasted opportunity, devs. The player is stuck in an endless cycle of day in, day out, over and over and over again. All eternity.

Taking this canonically, it seems like there isn't much reason to continually survive if there's no way off the islands. The late-game turns into a total lack of ideas on what to do outside of canon. What's the point of surviving if there's no end to it?!

Now, maybe multiplayer needs to happen. But, I dunno, I feel a little bit betrayed. And i'm not the only person.

Please, tell me i'm wrong. Tell me that you guys do intend to eventually return to the singleplayer, and give some sort of closure! Or at least, if nothing else, return to the mod community and give them the revitalization they need so badly!

I had similar concerns. Especially the lack of a feeling of closure and the honest-to-god not too impressive modding scene kind of leave a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. I'm excited for multiplayer, but the game doesn't feel complete yet to be honest.

They've certainly given the mod community so much support. We aren't demanding anything, but it seems strange to come so far with a task and then leave it so close to being done.

honest-to-god not too impressive modding scene

If you get rid of the character mods, IMHO, it's actually alright.

I disagree about the ending, for me Dont Starve is about a cyclical story so any ending they add will be disappointing. Of course this is a personal opinion, I agree completely about the mods.

There are some good character mods that could shine a bit brighter if we could add custom animations for eff's sake. But yeah, this leaves me happy and angry at the same time!

Skorp, all games need some sort of closure. Hell, have Wilson conquering Them and building a new civilization on the islands for all I care. Minecraft has The End. Don't Starve has a big pile of nothing.

I disagree about the ending, for me Dont Starve is about a cyclical story so any ending they add will be disappointing. Of course this is a personal opinion, I agree completely about the mods.

This, basically. The entire game is about discovering the unknown and fearing it. But if you find out about Them, about how to escape, about Charlie, then there's nothing unknown left to fear.

If you get rid of the character mods, IMHO, it's actually alright.

Well, sure, there are some really nice mods out there, but at least on the steam workshop, you mostly see stuff that just messes with the balance of certain items (aka turning them cheap and broken) instead of adding anything original. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Minecraft in that regard though.

There are some good character mods that could shine a bit brighter if we could add custom animations for eff's sake. But yeah, this leaves me happy and angry at the same time!

Skorp, all games need some sort of closure. Hell, have Wilson conquering Them and building a new civilization on the islands for all I care. Minecraft has The End. Don't Starve has a big pile of nothing.

I remember reading somewhere that the engine Dont Starve is made on doesn't allow for custom animations (I may be confused). So that's a lot of coding to be done. 

As for the ending, I'll say it once again. They never promised an end. There could be no way out, the powers of the shadow throne could just be too much. While I could use some more lore, I don't think this game needs a surefire ending. What would you suggest it to be? Wilson gets home safe? Him and maxwell become best friends forever? The only real ending I could see for this game is Wilson killing himself. That's the only ending that would make sense.

I remember reading somewhere that the engine Dont Starve is made on doesn't allow for custom animations (I may be confused). So that's a lot of coding to be done. 

As for the ending, I'll say it once again. They never promised an end. There could be no way out, the powers of the shadow throne could just be too much. While I could use some more lore, I don't think this game needs a surefire ending. What would you suggest it to be? Wilson gets home safe? Him and maxwell become best friends forever? The only real ending I could see for this game is Wilson killing himself. That's the only ending that would make sense.

They didn't promise us multiplayer, either! And yet, here we are.

I very strongly agree with you Silent on 2 points:

1. There is practically no end game.

2. There is nothing remotely close to any sense of closure to the game.

Though... the fact that Klei is willing to divert it's resources to specifically develop multiplayer and hand it out for free for all of us who already own it hints to me that Klei has an inclination that Don't Starve's playerbase is going to significantly grow from this venture. If they have even more people willing to buy Don't Starve content, they'll be even more likely to release future DLCs that can expand upon the Don't Starve universe.

I'm hopeful that eventually they'll get around to at least addressing the lack of new content at 100+ days. Lack of closure...? Well only time will tell.

Thing is, I get the feeling this isn't canon. When is multiplayer ever canon outside of an MMO?

It's... Yeah... But maybe this will force Klei to tell us stories of other characters. I mean, How "together" would even work, if characters can't tell their own sad life stories, sitting next to burning fire pit in a darkness of the night. And thing with maxwell... Who is on the throne right now?

I think it's logical to add multiplayer before the ending.  True closure would imply nothing else would be added after that.  As much as I have an interest with the story, it was just never made to be a story heavy game.  They just like to be secret with it and I have a feeling that's how they are going to keep it.  

A potential spike in popularity multiplayer brings could lead to more single player content in the future.  Including a second adventure mode.

Well, they had to hire new staff to make this possible. So apparently the original staff wasn't capable/confident enough to produce multiplayer on their own, because of this I think the staff that is not comfortable/capable of working on multiplayer will be moved to singplayer content producing.

Archived