Important and Logical Questions Megathread

There is no real combat system so PvP will simply be boring.

I also don't see how PvP could work. If there were such a thing, it'd be decided on ice staves and blow darts. Boring.

Assassinating an unsuspecting "friend" would be fun, though.

It would be boring if multiple people could play as the same character [...]

I don't think it would be reasonable to lock a character to the first player that picks it. Not allowing a character to repeat would unjustly force players to pick a character they don't want, and would force games to not only be limited to 2-4 players at the same time, but to the same 2-4 players, since once a player picks a character that character would need to be permanently reserved to that player (otherwise they couldn't rejoin the game later), and this would quickly exhaust the character list. Multiple instances of the same character would certainly not be lore friendly, but heck, it's multiplayer, dismissing the lore entirely is expected.

I don't think it would be reasonable to lock a character to the first player that picks it. Not allowing a character to repeat would unjustly force players to pick a character they don't want, and would force games to not only be limited to 2-4 players at the same time, but to the same 2-4 players, since once a player picks a character that character would need to be permanently reserved to that player (otherwise they couldn't rejoin the game later), and this would quickly exhaust the character list. Multiple instances of the same character would certainly not be lore friendly, but heck, it's multiplayer, dismissing the lore entirely is expected.

I think I good way to handle this might be alternate costumes for each character, possibly.  Maybe something ala Super Smash Bros.  There might even be some way to put some reasoning and actual lore behind this, like the machine your character makes creates an alternate reality, and those other characters from other realities did the same.

But yeah, if you all chose Wilson, then Player one would have the original red shirt, Player 2 would have a yellow shirt, Player 3 blue, etc.  Something like that.

Edit: I actually did a mock-up of what this would look like, and I have to say I think it's a good idea:

Wilson4.png

You'll be able to play with complete strangers and of course you'll be able to play with your friends. Yay for public and private games!

At the moment it's looking like DST will support 2 to 4 players at the same time; it could be more though. We'll know better as we dive deeper into development. 

Not too many though please, I feel MP in Don't Starve would work best with just a few characters, playing with crowds of people would totally ruin everything the game stands for.

Archived