Wow....I am kind of surprised so many people voted for Webber over the other characters. Even Battal picking Webber instead of...oh, idk, a more fire-centric chara like Willow :3

Okay, bottom line, you're getting some Willow eventually, no matter what, but I guess I could introduce Webber within the next chapter or two.

Wow....I am kind of surprised so many people voted for Webber over the other characters. Even Battal picking Webber instead of...oh, idk, a more fire-centric chara like Willow :3

Okay, bottom line, you're getting some Willow eventually, no matter what, but I guess I could introduce Webber within the next chapter or two.

No romance between Wilson and Willow please! The fandom doesn't need another mushy story that has already been done. o.o

I want death, I want action, drama, whatever, but not romance, please. :(

No romance between Wilson and Willow please! The fandom doesn't need another mushy story that has already been done. o.o

I want death, I want action, drama, whatever, but not romance, please. :(

YEah, that wouldnt really fit into dont starve

I will most certainly keep this in mind. 

Nah, that'd be too lame to just play it out like has been done a hundred-million times over. that goes in the private files huehue

I intend to try and weave a far more interesting story than that.

cant wait to look forward how the story will go on.

Chapter IV: Grander Forms of Life

The sun was halfway across the sky when Wilson had finished up. There was still enough time to get some work done, so Wilson decided to do some more exploring. But first, he needed to suit up properly. He put down the pig-skin backpack, put on the wooden armor he had been keeping in there, readied a fresh spear, and headed out, to the west this time. Before long, the new territory he found brought an awful odor to Wilson's senses.

It was a large section of thick, foggy swamp. The repulsive stench of swamp gas and rotting fish filled the air. He could hear the slight, gentle rumbling underneath the muck. Tentacles weren't the kind of creatures you wanted to deal with. And Wilson was still a bit tired from his run-in with the tree-beast. There was a section of matted-down pathway leading through, up until the fog obscured everything. He walked down the pathway, in a hurry. Sticking around for too long would tempt the Tentacles up from below. It was quite difficult to see much through the fog. Wilson took out a fresh torch to try and see through it, to no avail. He passed by a few red mushrooms, but that was it. The roadway seemed to end in a circle. Wilson turned to head back, not particularly liking the idea of straying off of the path, and suddenly tripped over something and hit the ground, the torch going out.

Wilson sighed and got up, examining the item he had tripped over. It was a bone of some sort, possibly a femur. However, there was a furry, closed eye on the top of it. He picked it up and examined it. Suddenly, the eye opened wide, staring at Wilson.

A bit surprised, Wilson looked around. There didn't seem to be anything going on. It wasn't a trap, it was...something else. Suddenly, he could hear something. A springy bouncing, something traveling through the murky swamp in his direction. Wilson got ready for whatever it was that was coming. it was a small, orange, furry creature. It had no head and it's body was somewhat box-shaped, a big red tongue sticking out. It didn't walk, rather it bounced around on 4 toe-less legs. It bounded over to Wilson, and stopped.

A bit unsure of what exactly to do, he threw the strange bone with the eye on it a short distance. The orange creature bounded over to the eyebone, and stood there, waiting. It finally occured to Wilson that the creature was drawn to that eyebone. He walked back over and picked it up. The furry orange creature seemed friendly enough.

"Hmm...."Wilson thought out loud, squatting down to the orange creature's level and patting it on the forehead. He gave the eyebone a little shake. Suddenly, the furry orange creature opened it's "mouth", the entire top of it's body flipping over like the lid of a box. There was merely a place where the tongue started, and an extremely spacious cavity. Wilson stopped, a bit surprised, and frankly, a bit worried at this development. Did he need to put something inside?

Thinking quickly, Wilson took out a couple of pinecones, and put them inside the furry creature's internal cavity. It closed up again, still seemingly smiling by the way it's tongue was sticking out. The scientist's eyes lit up with surprise. This was the first time he had seen a creature that wasn't either hard to catch or intent on killing him. It seemed kind of like a dog. Instinctive, but friendly.

"Say, boy...."Wilson said to the creature, continuing on a theory he was having, "I bet you'd like some company, wouldn't you?"

The creature was panting, but managed what looked like a nod.

"I guess....I guess i'll need a name to give you, huh?", Wilson continued, with a smile. It had been far too long since he had someone or something to talk to.

"How about.....hmm......Otto von Chesterfield, Esquire?"

The furry box creature seemed a bit confused. Wilson shook his head. "No?....how about just Chester, for short?" The creature let out a little noise, much like a bark. Chester it was, then.

Wilson continued on through the swamp, Chester bounding alongside him. A slight smile pulled at the side of Wilson's face. He wasn't sure whether this was a trick, or just some pure luck, but the idea of having a companion, finally, helped improve things. Eventually, he heard a familiar noise, a far less friendly one. The hiss of a giant spider. Wilson cringed as he stepped out of the fog of the swamps. If there was one thing he couldn't stand, it was spiders. Nevermind giant spiders that could probably eat him whole.

A moderate-sized mass of spider webs stood next to some trees. More webbing covered the ground all around it. There were 5 or so spiders standing around. Suddenly, a voice could be heard from behind the tree.

"H-hey!....What are you doing here?"

What looked like a little boy stepped out from behind the tree. Except he looked very strange. He was covered in spidery hair. And where his head should have been, there was a giant spider. He looked almost comical, somehow. His words were a bit more threatening, however.

"I don't know who you are, but you had better back off. I don't feel like having......", the spider-child's voice trailed off when he saw Chester. Apparently there was something familiar about him.

"Where did you find him, huh?!", the spider-child said angrily. Wilson, trying to stay calm at these developments, merely replied, "In some swamps somewhere. You lost him, didn't you?"

"I...I...uh...n..no! He....um....ran off, is all! Just give me the bone back, alright?", the kid said in a defensive tone. Wilson shook his head.

"No....no, I won't.", Wilson replied. "Not until I know what i'm dealing with here....i've been stuck here for so long, i've lost count. I'm not gonna give back the only companion I have around here. Not if I can help it." The spider-child got quite mad upon hearing this. He snarled in a spidery tone, stomping a foot on the ground angrily. "He's MINE! Give 'im back! Or else!", he retorted, furiously. Wilson merely shook his head. The spider child hissed angrily.

"I warned you!....to battle, my brethren! Kill him! But don't hurt the furry box creature, he's mine!"

(Tada. Next chapter is moar battle.

Also, although I WILL try to keep down on the romance-related stuff for this fanfiction, remember that it's a FAN-fiction. It doesn't neccessarily have to follow the DS style or tone. I'm not making canon stuff :3 )

• Like 2

(Behold! Chapter 5!)

Chapter V: A Lot of Noise

The five spiders near Wilson raised their front legs and snarled angrily, approaching Wilson. He took a few steps back, and readied his spear as the first one took a small leap forward and tried to bite him. The only thing it ended up ingesting, however, was the business end of his spear, a single lethal blow to the insides. Wilson barely had time to remove the spear from the first dead spider before a second one tried to bite him.

A momentary rush of adrenaline coursed through the scientist’s body, as he used his spear to block the second spider’s fangs, and shoved it away using the spear’s tip. The spider-child growled angrily. “Come on already! Just give up…”, he yelled at Wilson, who didn’t really seem to be listening due to the fact that his life was in extreme danger. Both the second and third spiders charged at Wilson again. He performed a long slash with the spear, striking both of them in one go. The scientist quickly followed up with a series of similar attacks, eventually reducing the second and third spider to quivering piles of dead flesh.

Without any sense of hesitation, Wilson ran up to the fourth spider and started hacking away at it. The fifth spider snuck up on him and bit him in the leg. He yelled out in pain, and managed to kick it away, stomping the fourth spider’s brains in immediately afterwards. Wilson turned around, and saw the spider-child and the last normal spider. The fifth spider approached him again. “Get him! Get him, get him, get him, get him! Gnaa!”, the spider-child shouted, throwing a spear straight at the scientist. Wilson quickly deflected the spear by using his own, and picked it up, holding both spears, one in each hand. The last spider started to back away, cowering. The spider-child gulped as Wilson easily finished off the last one.

“Now….”, Wilson started, turning his attention back to the spider-child. “You know, I really don’t want to have to kill you. This is the first time i’ve had any truly intelligent company except for Maxwell. Stop trying to kill me, and get out of here!”, Wilson spoke, taking a deep breath. The spider-child didn’t quite seem to be listening. “Give me that furry box back! Now!”, he shouted.

The spider-child took out a reed tube, put it up to it’s mouth, and spat a blowdart at Wilson, which grazed his neck, drawing some blood. He yelled out in pain, and threw one of the spears at the spider-child. The shaft of the spear clonked him on the head. He groaned and fell flat on his back. Eventually he sat back up, rubbing a fresh lump on his forehead. “Owwww…….my head…..”

Wilson used his free hand to cover the wound on his neck, and walked up to the spider-child, spear tip pointed at his neck. He looked very unamused. “Ya big meanie!”, the spider-child replied, making a move for the spear that was now on the ground. Wilson pinned it in place with his foot.

“Don’t even think about it, or I WILL kill you.”, Wilson retorted, looking him straight in the eyes. Weeks upon weeks upon weeks of pain, misery and hardship reflected in the scientist’s eyes. The spider-child’s eyes started to glaze over, tears gathering. “N….no...wait...p...please…..i’m sorry…...I….I just….wanted him back, was all!”

“Yeah…..I know you did.”, Wilson replied, raising his spear. The spider-child gasped and covered his head with his arms, crying. Wilson plunged the spear into the ground next to him. When the spider-child could bear to look, he saw where the spear had landed, and shook his head in confusion.

“...Damn you, Maxwell….”, Wilson said to nobody in particular, before taking a seat on the grass. Chester hopped over to Wilson and the spider-child. After a moment, the spider-child’s look of fear slowly turned to complete confusion. He wiped the tears from his eyes.

“Wha...wh….who’s Maxwell?.....”, he asked, cautiously. “A rotten, horrible person who’s responsible for me being here.”, Wilson replied. He thought for a few moments, then answered back, “Tall guy in a suit?”. Wilson silently nodded in response, and took a deep breath before continuing. “Sounds like it wasn’t just me he duped, then. Stuck you here, too…...how many others has he brought to their death like this?”

“I dunno. You really think he’s a bad guy?”, the spider-child meekly replied, slowly getting back up onto his feet. “I don’t think it. I know it. He’s a demon pretending to be a man, and he’s enjoying our torment, i’m sure.”, came Wilson’s reply. “Really? Well, I don’t think i’m suffering here…...I was actually starting to enjoy myself until my furry box went missing.”, the spider-child said, a slight smile returning to his face. “How would you? Unless….unless you’ve been doing this long enough that it all feels normal to you…...how long have you been here….whoever you are?”

The spider-child thought for a moment, then shook his head. “I dunno. I never thought to keep track. It’s been a long time though.”

Wilson pulled his spear out of the ground and put it away. He sighed, and took out Chester’s bone. “...Kid…”, Wilson started, “How about a deal, then?.....you can have the bone back….if you’ll stay with me.” The spider-child rubbed his forehead again. “...Really? You mean it?”

“Sure. The way I see it, this whole mess started because we couldn’t bother to share. If two survivors can’t cooperate with each other, it’s only going to end badly for both of us. Probably, Maxwell let this happen to see how we’d react. I say we disappoint him. How about it?’, Wilson replied, holding the bone out to the spider-child. After a moment, he nodded, and took it.

“Okay….sure. I was starting to get a bit tired, anyways.”

“What’s your name, kid?”, Wilson replied, turning his attention to the path leading back to his camp. “Oh…..Webber.”, the spider-child replied. The scientist nodded. “My name’s Wilson. Come on, we can head back to my camp.”

“W-wait!”, Webber shouted, “I have a bunch of cool stuff back at my place, too!”. “Alright. Go and pack up everything you can carry, and come back here. I’ll wait here.”, Wilson replied. Webber waited a moment, then nodded and took off, Chester following after him.

Edited by Silentdarkness1
  • Like 2

IT LIVES

Yep. I'm active again. Which absolutely means that it's time for me to stop living in the Underground, and return to this fanfiction. As a way of welcoming myself back, here is Chapter 6.

Chapter VI: The Purpose of Survival

It was an hour or so before Chester and Webber came back. Webber had a large sack made out of the skins of several pigmen strapped on his back, with all sorts of things packed in it. “Finally.”, Wilson dull-ly replied. “I was wondering if you had forgotten.” “Naw, I have a great memory, I think!”, Webber replied cheerfully. Wilson nodded, then got up, turning back around to go back to camp, Webber and Chester following after him.

“You said you have a great memory, right?”, Wilson asked after a period of time spent travelling back. “Sure I do. I think the main reason i’ve been able to keep going this long is because I still remember where all the really good places are. You know, all the cool places to get food and sticks and other stuff.”, Webber replied. Wilson pondered this for a few moments. The leaves in the trees they passed by blew around calmly.

“So you’ve done a lot of exploring, then?”, he asked inquisitively. Webber nodded in reply. “Have you seen a way out of here, then?” Webber thought over this for a few moments, then shook his head. “Nah. Sorry. I probably would have gone through it if I had.” “Really?”, Wilson replied. “I thought you liked being around your spider friends.”

“I do. But I definitely wouldn’t mind something different. I’m bored of the same old routine already.”, Webber stated. “What? How can that be? What could be more exciting than being out here, in the wilderness? Fighting to earn a new day, every single day.”, Wilson spoke, more than a bit surprised at what he was hearing.

Boredom. Not any of the words Wilson would use to describe the life he now lives would ever, within a million more years, come even remotely close to the word “boring”. What word would come to mind would be closer to fear, panic, anger and sadness than any feeling of boredom or lack of activity.

“Eh, if you say so. For the most part, I just convince my brethren to do the nasty work for me. Usually works so long as a queen isn’t around.” Wilson’s skin went pale at the last sentence. “...Uh….A……..Queen?.....You don’t mean there are spider queens, do you?”, Wilson asked nervously. Webber merely nodded. “Oh, sure there are. You’ve never met one?”, he asked, a bit confused. Wilson shook his head. “Oh. Then you probably shouldn’t. They’re as big as a house! No, two houses!”, Webber shouted, almost gleeful in his description. Wilson gulped. “O-okay….let’s not get too excited about that…..I like living.” “Oh...right. Sorry.”

Shortly afterwards, they got back to Wilson’s camp. Everything was still more or less the same. A gust of wind had blown a few loose rocks and twigs around, but that was all. Wilson sat on a log near the extinguished fire pit.

“So is that all you have, what’s in your sack?”, Wilson said tiredly. “Nah. Not everything. I did bring all the cool, hard to find stuff I found, though.”, Webber replied. “Really?....Mind if I see?”

“Not at all. I’ll show you.”, Webber stated enthusiastically. He pulled up a seat next to Wilson and opened up his sack. He rifled through the contents, and eventually pulled up a few clumps of gears, pulley parts, pistons and other such mechanical parts, showing them to the scientist. His eyes lit up with surprise.

“Wha…….what are these doing here, I wonder…...an advanced civilization….here? How could that be?” “I never saw anything like that. My brethren got attacked by some sort of robots, though. Souveneirs.”, Webber replied, continuing to fish through his bag. Wilson put a hand under his bearded chin. If there was technology like this, then surely there must have been people who created it. Perhaps they found a way out, and simply left this technology behind?

Webber took out some chunks of marble next. “Here, you can have some. It’s way too heavy for me, anyways.”, he said, handing half of what he had to Wilson. “Uh, thanks….I don’t know exactly what i’d do with this, though.”

The spider child merely shrugged, and continued going through what he had in the sack. The next item he pulled out was a makeshift cane, made out of rope, twigs and what looked to be the tusk of a walrus. Webber handed that to Wilson, as well. “You made this?.....”, Wilson asked. “Like I said….I was bored…”, Webber replied.

“Not bad….i’m just glad i’m not old enough to need this yet. Anything else?” “Ummm….”, Webber thought for a second before snapping a finger, and rifling through his stuff again, pulling out a bathtub plug. “Oh, good. All my bathtub-stopping needs are met.~ Have anything that’s actually USEFUL?” “Oh….sorry…..oh! Wait a second…..”, Webber exclaimed, looking through his stuff one more time. Eventually, he pulled out a gem. It was peruzzi-cut, shimmering a bright purple. Wilson could see small specks of black and white material in the gem.

“Mind if I take a look at it?”, Wilson asked. Webber shrugged and handed it to him. Immediately upon Wilson’s hand touching the purple gem, a jolt of something unknown struck him, his nerves freezing up completely. He barely managed a quiet groan. “Uh….are you okay?....Wilson?.....”

Wilson didn’t quite seem to hear Webber. Much like when he made the worst mistake of his life, a large amount of information quickly started to force it’s way into the gentleman scientist’s mind. Much of it was far more archaic and confusing than before, but displayed in a way that made sense to him. As soon as it was over, sparks of purple and black energy struck him, throwing him to the ground, gem still firmly clutched in his hand. He yelled out in pain. “Wilson!”, Webber shouted, dropping what he was doing, getting up and checking to make sure Wilson was alright.

Within a few seconds, Wilson blinked a couple of times, and sat up. His head was still spinning from the contents of what he had just learned.

“Wilson, are you alright?” “Yeah…...I think so.”, Wilson replied, managing to stand up. “What was all that about?”,Webber retorted. “I don’t really know for sure. But I feel like I just learned a lot. I think I know just what to do with this thing. Mind if I keep it?”, Wilson replied.

“Oh….uh….well….okay, I guess. I hope that doesn’t happen again, though. It was kind of scary, actually.”, Webber added. Wilson shook his head. “Sorry about that….”

Wilson started gathering up some of the materials, rope, wooden logs, metal braces and brackets. A nagging voice in the back of his head told him to stop, but he couldn’t seem to stop himself, just like before.

“H-hey….whacha making there?”, Webber asked, breaking Wilson’s train of thought. He stopped all of a sudden, and shook his head. “I….I don’t know. That’s weird…..I don’t know why I got this stuff out….”, Wilson replied. Webber scratched his head. “Are you alright in the head, Wilson?”

“Yeah….I think….*!*....ahh!......damnit, not again…..”, Wilson exclaimed, coming to a realization. “This gem…….it has to have something to do with Them…….and Maxwell…..just like before.”, he continued.

“Like before?”, Webber asked, still extremely puzzled. “Maxwell…..when he tricked me, and trapped me here…..I found myself slaving away at building a machine…..just like I was, a moment ago…...there has to be something utterly critical here! I’m sure of it…..but what could it be?...”, Wilson replied. “.....I think you should build it anyways.”, Webber said, an unerring smile on his face. “What?.....but….it’s probably another trap!” “Or it could be something helpful!”, Webber retorted.

Wilson sighed, and put a hand under his chin. “Hmm…...I…..I guess…….I guess I could. But not right here….i’ll set it up away from camp.”

It was later that night, under the dim light of a torch, that Wilson set up the new machine, north of camp. A wooden triangle made out of tied-together logs, the purple gem affixed into the center. Webber walked over to Wilson. “Oooh…...looks pretty, Wilson. Is it done?”, Webber asked. Wilson shrugged, and put a hand on the gem again. Suddenly, the gem shone with a bright light, startling him. The device rose up and uprighted itself of it’s own volition, seemingly. A blackish light surrounded it in an aura.

“Woah……..w...what is this thing?....”, Webber asked, dumbstruck by what he was seeing. Wilson thought for a moment before replying, “.....I think They call it a….Shadow Manipulator….”

• Like 1

I feel bad for finally reading all the chapters after I pinned this as a tab a few weeks ago. Nice work. Each chapter feels like its own story. With different writing mechanics and whatnot. Very grateful this thread didn't get locked.

On 5/18/2014 at 4:10 PM, Silentdarkness1 said:

Also, although I WILL try to keep down on the romance-related stuff for this fanfiction, remember that it's a FAN-fiction. It doesn't neccessarily have to follow the DS style or tone. I'm not making canon stuff :3 )

Maybe I missed out on something but I didn't read any romance in this story. Mind explaining?

Aw, I absolutely adore the way crafting is included into the story.

I always believed (you can call it yet another headcanon of mine, maybe?) that all the recipies popping up in the tab each time Wilson picks up a new item, or enough materials to make a new thing, are result of the Forbidden Knowledge (and, well, Them) supplying him with information.
As if - when the recipe is blacked out, that means the knowledge is buried in the back of Wilson's mind, not realized yet, and the drive to make a new thing is purely subconscious and instinctive, but as soon as he gathers the materials, it gets "released" and forced out on the surface, and he gets a clear understanding that something can be made from the things he had found.

Yes, this theory doesn't hold up when you consider that everyone else can do the same thing too, but la-la, can't hear you, game mechanics always get in the way, la-la. In my mind I will still stubbornly limit the crafting of complicated science magic machinery to Wilson. And maybe Wickerbottom. She may not have the Knowledge, but she has her books. They should have her covered at least partially, in the magical department for sure.

2 hours ago, minespatch said:

Maybe I missed out on something but I didn't read any romance in this story. Mind explaining?

I think Silent means that there will be romance in the future, when Willow will enter the picture.
I strongly prefer Gen as far as fanfics are involved (yes, imagine how sorry my existence is when I wade through the dozens and dozens of slash and romance stories in search for something, anything, to read), but I will be able to handle a little Willowson as long as it's sidelined and not the focus. 

Edited by Net Spectre
  • Like 1

Yeah. I do wanna find a smooth, reasonable way to introduce some romance into it later on, instead of hitting you over the head with it, or turning this into something faffy. : P

News update: IRL is making this difficult, but I am making significant progress on the next chapter. Hounds.

• Like 2

Chapter 7 is here.

Chapter VII: Together, To Overcome

The following morning, Wilson had gotten up to prepare breakfast. Webber was still fast asleep, snoring rather noisily. That had made sleeping at all rather difficult. When the disgruntled scientist made his way to the Ice Box, he realized that he didn’t actually feel like having to cook anything. So, instead, he opted to have the leftover meat jerky he had dried out on the rack, being certain to leave a portion over for his new ‘ally’. He sat down and started eating, ripping chunks of meat into his craw.

As he ate, he looked over at Webber. There was something very, very strange about this spider-child. Clearly the bodily shape of a human, and yet, all the features of the local spiders. He certainly looked and smelled like one, too. He was starting to question himself, and question whether he could trust this one. He had already survived this long, out in the wilderness, all by himself. So why did he need *anyone*? Especially a face that reminds him of one of the many ways one could die out here? ‘Perhaps,’, Wilson thought to himself, ‘Perhaps it is my own guilt towards causing him trouble with Chester.’ ‘Perhaps that is why i’m doing this. Above most else.’

He tried to move that thought to the back of his mind. If he would at least prove useful in a survival situation, then it’s hardly a loss. And if not, well, at least he now knew that truly sentient life existed.

In time, Webber woke up, yawned, stretched, and got up, greeting Wilson in a casual manner. “Heya. Good morning.” Wilson casually waved back. “Morning.”

“So, what’s for breakfast?”, Webber responded, walking over, a cheery expression on his face. Wilson tried not to let the fact that his appearance was so disconcerting, show on his face. “Jerky. It’s in the fridge.”

“Oh. Ok.”, Webber glumly replied, helping himself to the jerky in the fridge. Still good. “That’s a pretty cool box.”

“Yeah. It’s a little something I made. Keeps food cold, so it lasts a bit longer. I guess, if you’re going to be sticking with me, then we had better get some more food.”, Wilson continued, finishing eating. “Oh? That’s okay, I already have some food with me. Spider meat.”

Wilson’s eyes went wide with shock. That seemed very odd for a spider-child to be eating. Not to mention, the meat of those creatures was more or less inedible.

“What?!......isn’t that cannibalism? And how can you even manage that?....I can’t exactly eat that.” Webber sighed. “It’s not always so easy. Just doing what I have to do. And really? I think it tastes pretty good.” Wilson shook his head in disbelief. “I think I had better find you some real food. Now come on.”

Wilson got up and suited up, putting on a backpack, and readying a spear before heading out. Webber reluctantly followed, Chester happily bouncing along.

Over the course of the next few hours, they foraged for food. They came across a few rabbits. Wilson taught Webber how to make grass and twig traps to catch rabbits, as well as get in some practice with spears, focusing on more effective ways to kill with it.

The haul of food was pretty good, in truth. Two pairs of hands made for much lighter work. They got enough food for a couple of days of decent eating. Twelve morsels. It proved to be a tad difficult for Webber, who had to learn to do these things without the assistance of his spider friends, who he usually would just convince to do all of the hard work for him. He did just barely manage it, however. Eventually, they stopped, near a section of birch forest. Webber took a deep breath, and wiped the sweat from his forehead. “Wow...okay…..uh, can we stop now? I’m kinda tired…”

“Not yet….”, Wilson replied. He was equally tired, but was determined to power through it somehow. “We still should probably go and get our hands on some more wood for the fire...otherwise that….thing in the darkness will..”, He continued. Webber cut him off, however.

“Do you hear that?”

There was a distant sound of barks, growls and howling. Fear crawled down Wilson’s spine. He knew what that meant.

“....The hounds, again….Damnit.”, Wilson answered, readying his spear, and backing up against a tree. “Get ready…..I think things are about to get ugly. Really ugly.” Webber hesitated for a moment or two.

“Uh, w-wait. I know what might help….wait here!”, he shouted before running off. “No, wait! Don’t-”, Wilson started, but the spider-kid had already run off. Leaving Wilson all by his lonesome, to deal with an incoming horde of spiders. Wilson cursed under his breath. Suddenly, a pack of five hounds approached, barking and growling in their unusual, extremely unpleasant manner. They all lunged at him. He hid behind the tree, and they hit the tree, damaging it. Wilson started kicking the tree, trying to knock it over so it would crush the hounds. Unfortunately, they had regathered their composure, and circled around again to try and attack again.

Two of the hounds tackled Wilson to the ground, one of them biting his leg, another jumping onto his chest and going for the jugular. He screamed, and shoved the spear into the second hound’s mouth to keep it busy while he worked on getting free from the first one’s grip, turning himself over, and managing to kick it in the back of the head from the inside, forcing it let go of his now-mangled leg. He tried to get up, but his leg had been injured fairly badly, and it hurt to stand. Wilson winced and took out an axe, taking it to the second hound’s neck. The first blow stunned it, and it fell over. Without thinking or hesitating, he delivered a few more chops to the neck to make sure it was dead, and retrieved his spear, just as the first hound, accompanied by another, ran at him. He rolled aside, and jabbed the spear into the first hound’s side. It let out an agonized yipe, and stumbled into the third hound, temporarily mixing them up and giving Wilson a moment’s breathing room.

He turned to the damaged tree, again, trying hard to think on how to get out of this. He could hear more barks in the distance, and Webber was nowhere to be found. It seemed that the kid had abandoned him. “Hopefully, he’s already been eaten.”, he thought to himself. The other two hounds lunged at Wilson from behind. He got out of the way, and they both hit the tree. Wilson quickly delivered a finishing chop, and the tree tumbled over, falling on the first and third hounds, crushing them to death. Not wasting any time, he started slashing away at the fourth hound, trying to keep from being overwhelmed by the two of them. However, the fifth one got around, and dug it’s teeth into Wilson’s back. He yelled in pain, trying to throw it off, and succeeding, eventually. He ripped the spear out of the fourth hound’s side, and it fell over, bleeding. With a blood-thirsty look in his eyes, he tackled the fifth hound, and took the axe to it’s face, continuing to wail away at it with repeated slashes until it’s face was a leaky, bloody mess.

There didn’t really seem to be any place for a proper duel in a wilderness such as this. Only brutal, unforgiving combat, to the death every time. Wilson, injured notably, but still alive, managed to recover his spear. More hounds showed up, barking angrily. If this kept up, however, Wilson was going to die. And he knew this. If only Webber hadn’t run off. If only his own leg hadn’t gotten chewed up. There didn’t really seem to be a way out of this. There was something he always kept in case of emergencies. Now seemed like a reasonable time to use it. The hounds were approaching, all bunched up. Wilson took out a bundle of something, and quickly used a torch to light it on fire, before throwing it at the hounds, with all of his strength. When the hounds ran past the bundle, it exploded violently, tearing the hounds to shreds. Wilson took a deep breath, and sighed. He was still alive. Badly injured, but alive.

This brief moment of peace was exactly just that; brief. A loud, sinister growl echoed, as another hound approached. This one looked much hairier, and tougher. It let out a bellowing, snarling cry. Two more hounds joined the Varg. Wilson mumbled something along the lines of, “Oh, come on………”, trying to prepare himself for what would almost certainly be his death. The hounds and the Varg closed in, when suddenly, there arose the sound of many, pittering, pattering feet. Wilson looked behind himself to see Webber running back into the fray, with a small army of spider warriors and workers following after him, yelling some sort of battle cry as loud as he could. The spiders immediately turned all of their attention to the hounds and Varg, swarming them. Webber walked over to Wilson afterwards, as if nothing was wrong.

“I’m back!”

“Yeah…..I see that…….”, Wilson glumly replied. He wasn’t sure whether to be scared, relieved or angry. Maybe just all three at once would be sufficient. “We’re leaving. Right now.”

“What? But I wanna see the fighting! It’s gonna be cool!”, Webber had started to say, but before he could even finish, Wilson grabbed him by the arm, and shook his head.

“Do I LOOK like i’m in shape to hang around this little war zone? I just want to be out of here! And so should you!”, Wilson replied, angrily. Webber hesitated for a moment or two before nodding, and heading for anywhere other than where they were right now, helping Wilson along. They had just narrowly avoided being eaten up. With any luck, the spiders and hounds would just kill themselves off, and a rematch wouldn’t be forthcoming.

-------------------------------------

Eventually, they made it back to camp. Wilson sat down, and used some rocks, rope and twigs to make a crude cast for his leg.

“.....It would’ve been a lot better…..if you hadn’t run off.”, Wilson spoke in a defeated tone. “Now i’m not in a particularly good shape to gather materials. There’s only a few days left until winter at this rate, too.”

“Hey, me and my friends saved your life. i guess being grateful isn’t in the cards?”

“That’s not going to mean much if we end up freezing or starving out here in a couple of days…...I mean, I guess I do appreciate it, but you really could have handled that better. Can’t you trust your own strength?”, Wilson replied, tying the cast tight. Webber thought for a moment or two before shaking his head. Wilson sighed.

“We have to stick together, for better or worse. I almost died, and got badly injured, because you wanted to run off and get your gang of spiders to take care of things, instead of just backing me up in a fight. Think before you act. You’ll live longer. Understand?”

Webber looked down, feeling a bit of shame for a moment or two, before nodding. “Yeah…...yeah, I understand just fine. Sorry.”

“......No use moping. Whatever cruel force runs this place doesn’t care if we’re upset or mad at each other. You’ll….just have to pick up the slack. I’ll point out what i’ve learned, but it looks like you’ll have to help me out with the hard work until I can walk normally again. Just do what I tell you, don’t do anything stupid, and we might still have a chance. Okay?”

“Yeah. Sure. I can do that.”

“Now…….what we got…..before those blasted hounds showed up…..is gonna be enough to keep us going for a while longer….but we’re going to need a lot more if we’re going to be ready for the winter. We need wood. A lot of it. We’ll also be needing a bit more meat if we can pull that off. The less hunting we need to do in the middle of the winter, the better. Despite what I said earlier…..the fact that you don’t seem to have a problem with eating spider meat helps a bit. Plenty of rancid, unhealthy meats to go around…...let’s sit back here for a bit, and think about the best way to do this….”

Edited by Silentdarkness1
  • Like 1