What do you think the character backstories are?

I've been thinking about the characters of Don't Starve and how they came to be and I have a theory on WX-78;

WX-78 is a human; but a very delusional one at that. Having been an avid reader of pulp magazines and penny dreadfuls; he came to the belief that he is an automaton. Why he choose WX-78 is anyones guess; perhaps his initials are W. X (Wesley Xavier?). and he was born in 1878 or 1978 (this date will be explained later).

Why does he eat gears? Because he thinks that they will 'upgrade' him; more parts equals more muscle. Who know what eating metal is doing to his digestive system; but he doesn't care; it's psychosomatic; he thinks they will improve him so they do,

Same with eating spoiled food; why would a robot care? Again, no sane person will eat something on the verge of turning into rot; but a man thinking they are a robot will.

As for getting electrocuted? He is wearing a metal suit that attracts lighting; it strikes him and the copper conducts the electricity, burning and zapping his skin,; his nervous system is all shot up and he runs faster due to the pain. When he gets electrocuted you can clearly see bones.

WX78 is really inconsistent with his 'parts' saying that a slurper has violated his smelling sensor yet claims not to have one with other things. Exactly the same with hating all life, but having a liking for bees; his delusion isn't well thought out...it's just there.

Now as for him coming from 1978; when examining papyrus; he mentions 'I prefer Dot Matrix paper'; a technology that wasn't around until the 1970's.

Well that's all for now! Tell me what your theories are; was I as mad as I think WX78 is or do you think I'm on the money?

I don't think we should read too much into some of what the characters say when examining stuff, as it was probably just thought up by a dev to be clever, aside from maybe Maxwell's strings. Despite that, I think your idea is neat. I was initially opposed to the idea of WX being a human because I like robots, but your explanation has convinced me. 

My headcanon for Willow is that she is a rich family's teenage child that has pyromania (obviously) and that is very introverted. She hates attending the social functions her family schedules and is going to be set up with a man by her father. In addition to this, Willow wishes that fire didn't burn her and she could have a place free of people where she could set everything ablaze.

Maxwell talks to her through a phonograph and tells Willow that he will grant her wishes if she goes to an old scientist's (Wilson's) house and pulls a lever. She obviously does so and is trapped in the world of Don't Starve, but is granted her wish of fire resistance.

I like to believe that everyone is tricked into going to Wilson's house and pulling the lever by Maxwell, since it wouldn't make sense for them to build complicated machines like Wilson did. 

Just what I think :grin:

I like to believe that everyone is tricked into going to Wilson's house and pulling the lever by Maxwell, since it wouldn't make sense for them to build complicated machines like Wilson did.

That seems to make sense, and also doesn't Maxwell say something like 'I can't believe you fell for that again', when you use his door to enter Adventure mode? And how on earth would someone like Webber be able to build a machine, and what was he promised as motivation to do so? So many questions, but alas, no answers.

I disagree with the WX78 thing. I provide counter evidence:

Placebo only goes so far. The fact that he can take quadruple the punishment he normally can by swallowing gears (which he would most likely either choke to death on, cut open his intestines, or rupture his anus (fun thought)) is a bit far fetched. And if copper is burning him to run faster, why does he get more health? Again, placebo can only get him so far. Eating food turning into rot really can't be explained by "this dude think he is a robot so he gets normal nutrition from rotten food".  Bones so as he upgrades  he remains the same shape as things inside him change. Plus if everyone has bones in their hair I don't think we can trust the lightning thing.

If he IS a robot, eating gears makes perfect sense. He uses them to replace old part/improve existing ones without opening himself up. Lightning makes sense to heal him and run faster, because all that energy can be captured for an overdrive mode with his futuristic tech. He gets the same value for food since he dissolves it in his chemical engine (he says that he has one in a quote)

Your theory has many holes that just saying "placebo" can't fill, but being a robot can. 

That seems to make sense, and also doesn't Maxwell say something like 'I can't believe you fell for that again', when you use his door to enter Adventure mode? And how on earth would someone like Webber be able to build a machine, and what was he promised as motivation to do so? So many questions, but alas, no answers.

I think Webber says something like "That jerk tricked us." when he examines the Maxwell Statue, but Wendy is supposed to be Maxwell's niece, so why would he trap her? Maybe there are alternate ways people can be lured into the "dimension" or whatever it is. I like to think Wes was captured because he angered Maxwell and that is why he is caged, and Wolfgang was captured trying to save Wes. 

Wasn't there a thread a while back that discussed the possible backstories for the characters? As for my thoughts on WX, I believe that he could be an automaton who uses biofuel. With Their power they can give the characters whatever they want: Want to grow a magnificent beard in 17 days? Bam. Want to bring your dead sister back to life? Bam. They can pretty much do anything, heck, for all I know WX could have been a mentally disturbed human who desired to be an automaton, but is forced to resort to biofuel to continue functioning.

Wasn't there a thread a while back that discussed the possible backstories for the characters? As for my thoughts on WX, I believe that he could be an automaton who uses biofuel. With Their power they can give the characters whatever they want: Want to grow a magnificent beard in 17 days? Bam. Want to bring your dead sister back to life? Bam. They can pretty much do anything, heck, for all I know WX could have been a mentally disturbed human who desired to be an automaton, but is forced to resort to biofuel to continue functioning.

That is a very possible idea, but I think that since WX78 acts SO robot-like that he was a robot before, and he hates life (especially humanity) he wanted just to be rid of the idiots surrounding him.

Wickerbottom is the only one whose reason for being there doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Wilson can be a bit of an idiot, and seems to be easily fooled. Plus he was needed to build the machine

Willow prolly burned something of Maxwells, could be as simple as that

Wolfgang was around him when he was on a Circus caravan, maybe Maxwell didnt like him? Or didnt like people from his past?

Wendy, from whats been hinted, was Maxwells niece. So Max has prolly met her before, and may just dislike her

Wes is in the same boat as Wolfgang

Wigfrid has a terrible acting voice, Maxwell has probably saw her in Theater and was annoyed.

WX-78 Woodie and Webber might just be there because of their odd 'characteristics'

But what about Wickerbottom? She doesn't seem like a know it all, she wasn't needed to create the portal, and from her character quotes, she doesn't make any remark about challenging Maxwell or upsetting him in any way.

I need @MycoLogical 's headcannon on this one

Edit : Fun fact, both Woodie and Webber say their grandad wore a hat like the Tam O' Shanter, which means their are likely related. Family history of annoying Maxwell? Maybe related to him?

Wickerbottom is the only one whose reason for being there doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Wilson can be a bit of an idiot, and seems to be easily fooled. Plus he was needed to build the machine

Willow prolly burned something of Maxwells, could be as simple as that

Wolfgang was around him when he was on a Circus caravan, maybe Maxwell didnt like him? Or didnt like people from his past?

Wendy, from whats been hinted, was Maxwells niece. So Max has prolly met her before, and may just dislike her

Wes is in the same boat as Wolfgang

Wigfrid has a terrible acting voice, Maxwell has probably saw her in Theater and was annoyed.

WX-78 Woodie and Webber might just be there because of their odd 'characteristics'

But what about Wickerbottom? She doesn't seem like a know it all, she wasn't needed to create the portal, and from her character quotes, she doesn't make any remark about challenging Maxwell or upsetting him in any way.

I need @MycoLogical 's headcannon on this one

Edit : Fun fact, both Woodie and Webber say their grandad wore a hat like the Tam O' Shanter, which means their are likely related. Family history of annoying Maxwell? Maybe related to him?

Want some of my head canon? He it is!

Maxwell was looking for the Codex Umbra and traced it down to being in the library that Wickerbottom worked in. Little did he know that see was interested in the book and said that it got 'lost.' Maxwell saw that she was lying, broke in and stole it. She noticed this and tracked him down to the hotel he was staying in and due to the residual energy being left there, got sucked in.

That's how I see it. That's why she calls him a 'rude gentleman;' he stole from her.

Want some of my head canon? He it is!

Maxwell was looking for the Codex Umbra and traced it down to being in the library that Wickerbottom worked in. Little did he know that see was interested in the book and said that it got 'lost.' Maxwell saw that she was lying, broke in and stole it. She noticed this and tracked him down to the hotel he was staying in and due to the residual energy being left there, got sucked in.

That's how I see it. That's why hand calls him a 'rude gentleman;' he stole from her.

Ok, that is actually perfect.

See, this is why I wanted your opinion, your the Wickerbottom professional :p

well seeing how webber appears to be somehow inside a spider (found out on the wiki though it could be wrong) is title The Indigestible is only more evidence of this as it could have tried to eat him but failed now hes stuck partially in it (his head is the only thing that appears to have the legs) and since he says "that jerk tricked us!" when looking at either maxwell statue or him before he disapears at the start of the game (forgot which ;3 ) so maybe maxwell said he would help him get out of it to trick him into pulling the lever maybe? cant imagine someone like him making one as he is kinda childish in my opinion because of his quotes

This is probably something that has been theorised already around these forums, but anyway, after reading this note a long while ago:

" William! You're late again! Where's the muney? Do you think Mister Witherstone is runnin a charatee? You better pay up this week or there will be trubble! I will find you!

Almost immediately after reading this i thought of Wolfgang. The broken english , and that i think that he would seem logical that a guy like him would find employment as hired muscle. It would also explain why Maxwell would lure him into his world, good old fashioned revenge namely. But i could be completely wrong of course, seeing as I didn't really partake in the puzzling.

I think Maxwell uses the characters downfalls to lure them in. For Wilson, his desperation to build a working machine caused him to listen to advice from ANYONE, including a voice on his radio. For Wendy, I bet her loss of Abagail played huge parts in her getting warped onto the island, as Maxwell probably said," I can help you see your sister..."

For Wendy, I bet her loss of Abagail played huge parts in her getting warped onto the island, as Maxwell probably said," I can help you see your sister..."

"Hello Abigail."

"Uncle? What are you doing here?"

"I'm sorry for the loss, dear. I just thought you needed a helping hand."

"What do you mean?"

"I can help you see your sister.. If you think you're ready for it."

"What's this?"

"I promise you'll see your sister. Just throw the switch."

".."

"DO IT!"

I like to think that Willow was in a house fire when she was around 14 that killed her parents. The event triggered her pyromania and she was shipped off to live with a rather verbally abusive Aunt.
Maxwell spoke to her via a fire set in the fireplace one night and offered the return of her parents.

I don't personally think that each person required a door to get to the island (unless it been proven that it has, in which ignore me) but instead it happened around a particular object they relate too. Like Wendy was pulled into a grave and Willow thrown in a fire, or wigfrid falling through a trapdoor on a stage.

But I also like to think that every character had some previous connection with Maxwell / William that brought them there. Much like MycoLogical's headcanon for Wickerbottom.

I have no idea about most characters but heres a story of how i think willow got in there

Willow was a simple girl from a small poor town, it was still a quite young city, and all houses were made of wood. She was well known by everyone in the city, not because of being a sweet girl, but instead because of the fires she likes to start all the time.

She kept herself lonely, sometimes playing with fire while everyone stayed away from her, as they feared for their lives, a fear that ended up becoming a stronger kind of fear hate and despise for her. She was inside her house, on the corner of her room which hadnothing but a box with a few objects of her family as the city member took almost everything she had so there'd be no danger of her starting a huge fire.She was alone talking with her Teddy bear:

Willow: They dont understande me, they're wrong to think im  some kind of monster, if only i had a way to start a fire they'd see, they all would see how pretty fire actually  is!

An old dusty radio which was a belonging of her dead grandmother  was in the box, which started to work and started talking:

Radio: Say pal, you seem lonely, those folks out there dont  seem to understand you.

Willow: They dont understand me, but I'll show to them someday! I'll start a huge fire and they'll see how pretty fire actually is!

Radio: You would need something to start the fire, want me do give something special for you?

Willow: What? What would you give me so i could start a fire, radio?

Radio: A lighter, not any kind of lighter, but a lighter which would never run out of fuel! I can give to you, its behind this radio, a lighter with a flower drawn on it.

Willow looked behind it, and there was a small lighter with a eternal flame, which she could use to start the biggest firethe city  ever saw! She took it and thanked the radio, as she went into the darkness of the night, looking for twigs and grass to use as a fuel to burn the city, after the pile was big enough she lighted it, and the city burst into flames! 

Willow simply stood there, looking at them while holding her teddy bear and laughing, laughing of their burnt houses, hopes and bodies, after a while the fire went off, and the darkness of the night came again and so willow was there, in the middle of the night with nothing else other than her lucky lighter and her teddy bear to make company to her. 

A music, like the ones from an old music box started to play, she hugged her teddy bear while holding  her lighter in an attempt to protect herself from the darkness, however a couple of nightmarish looking hands came from the darkness and as they were about to grab her she heard the voice which talked with her from the old radio once again:

Maxwell: Say pal, remember the deal we made before? You've had your fun, and now its time for Them to have fun.

The shadow hand grabbed her, and brought her to the DS world, and left nothing for anyone to remember of her in her world, other than an unknown teddy bear, in a burnt city.

I think Maxwell is a mage who sought new "tricks" and ended up finding the Codex Umbra, having read some of it took him and his assistant Charlie to another world.

Maxwell is no mage. He is

3591135_o.gif

a magician.

Abigail was killed by Maxwell, or possibly the Shadow Watcher. I posted a thread a while back about some weird noises I heard playing as her, and somebody slowed them down. This is what they said.

"He's coming"

"Do not trust him."

"He'll be waiting in the shadows".

It was, to say the least, terrifying.

Wendy's backstory has possible canon proof. As we all know, Wendy and Abigail are in some way possibly related to Maxwell. A letter Maxwell received stated that there were "twins." Abigail was killed under "mysterious circumstances" and she may have wanted revenge on Maxwell for it. It is possible that Wendy had followed Abigail's ghost into the Don't Starve world causing her to be trapped.

Archived