This game is hard

A game that does not respect the time you put into it.

Actually, when DID a game ever respect the time you put into it?

The best they can offer is a bunch of pixels for you to take pictures of.

So people say "run away from your base" when you hear a giant coming. I did that. I run away from my base when my guy says "a worthy opponent is coming." It was the middle of the night in winter. I ran 4 screens away, put a fire down and waited. And waited... Till morning. Then went back to my base to see it in ruins and the deerclops peeing on my trashed structures. luckily i had just got the pan flute and old bell and was able to dispatch him, but there was nothing else I could do. Now if that were the flying fire breathing bug everything would be ash.

That guy's right, its CHEAP! You are completely powerless to stop something like that, even with plenty of time to prep.

You just need to agro the boss before he gets to your base. Even if night its not that much of a hassle if you have a miners helmet. Its mostly about just having a few core items really to deal with most of these things. The game is not really "hard" ( but for the dragonfly imo) but more annoying with all the micromanagy stuff we have to do with temperature, rain, sanity, etc. Also you can just be cheap and as soon as you hear the boss noise just go to sleep. By the time you wake up he will be walking to your base and it will be morning.

So people say "run away from your base" when you hear a giant coming. I did that. I run away from my base when my guy says "a worthy opponent is coming." It was the middle of the night in winter. I ran 4 screens away, put a fire down and waited. And waited... Till morning. Then went back to my base to see it in ruins and the deerclops peeing on my trashed structures. luckily i had just got the pan flute and old bell and was able to dispatch him, but there was nothing else I could do. Now if that were the flying fire breathing bug everything would be ash.

That guy's right, its CHEAP! You are completely powerless to stop something like that, even with plenty of time to prep.

*Cough*Movemorethan4screensawaygiantshavehugelineofsight*Cough*

Ya know the solution? Download mods, just like all these naysayers did. They obviously never encountered any ridiculouly impossible occurences to deal with, and somehow still think that YOU can control the randomness, when the game is intended to be random without any true level of control.

Many of the responses to your questions I have read obviously stem from another whiner about you 'whining'. Hypocrits much.

If you find that a really unfair situation is occuring, i.e. game glitch (obviously unintentional from the dev's point of view, for example, things not working as intended, just screw around with it in your own way.

If it is designed to intentionally grief you, then well, that's also correct to say that. It is meant to grief you.

IN all things mentioned, nobody seem to understand the intention of 'random' and 'loss of control'. Everything in this game strives to give you sufficient illusion of control, only to then later take everything away. The ones who have no problems obviously figured to just cheat their way through the game and claim that they arn't cheating.

Also clear reason why they arn't exactly in the career you are in, understanding the value of time and appropriate efforts, and learning when to give up on things that arn't meant to work.

But there is no point explaining any of these things to them. They can continue deluding themselves that this game can be controlled and mastered. They are exactly right. It can. With mods and cheats and Alt F4 in a pinch.

But without that? Don't kid yourself. Resources run out. Things get more difficult until eventually, you will be overwhelmed and die.

I see those youtube videos with people into day 1000 or 2000. Totally not the intention of the developers. You can see their tooth traps numbering into the thousands. Not even that amount of ingame time could allow them to plant that many crap, sort that many things, or build that elaborate a base, Just open your eyes and realise its a cheat. It can't be done the normal way. This is a game with cheats afterall. In real life, the company would have scammed people and dissapeared. In games and videos they can stay around and bullshit others.

Real life isn't this unforgiving. But real life isn't exactly re-doable. This is just a game in the end, intended to be random, occasionally the randomness dial turns up to 11 and spawn extreme crap.

The only issue is that when it does that with the 'good' things, the good things don't really last that long or well and the bad things last forever. (Somewhat unlike real life).

So you know what the solution is? Accept it as it is, ignore the naysayers and disillusioned players. Just take it at a leisurely pace to know that it's never intended to be easy.

Hound attacks become more and more impossible to deal with, eventually into day 5000 or whatever there would be so many that your computer would crash out or hang, and you would die. Doesn't matter how many traps you set, how many things you try to do. There will come a time where you have to kite into 5 day/night cycles, replacing armour and everything else and maintaining fires while constantly fighting for your life. Maybe that comes at day 10000 or day 100000. And somehow, if you can replace non-renewable resources (oh the irony), they get more and more difficult to retrieve for the efforts required, be it time, distance, etc. But eventually, you will die. All that time spent in the game doing this? Well, you are MEANT to die. There is no end goal in the game. In the real world, if resources are scarce, less monsters and hounds appear, more people die, things balance out. In this game, the hounds just spawn because the computer decides it, that is all, nothing realistic there. There is nothing reasonable with how the monsters behave either, their goal is to end you, that is all.

It only gets ever more difficult. There is no end 'leisure time' in the game.

In real life, if that was a job or relationship, we just leave and find another more reasonable one, or just die. In this game, you can turn on cheats, make it to day 100 000, and have a hound spawn of over 1000 crashing you out anyway, you can't get past that day even with cheats on.

So if anything, just give yourself a specific goal. Maybe say, live to day 100, and knowing that beyond that is impossible and not intended. Or to explore a cave and build some new magical item. Or maybe say, grow a forest in a certain way by a certain time and blow it all up.

You'll be happier this way. And you can ignore all the bullshit the rest of them are saying, they obviously haven't played long enough without cheats to understand the intention of this game anyway. In the end, life is more worth living that trying to do the impossible of say... attempting to survive jumping off a 100 storey building. Some idiots say its possible. They have never been put in that situation though, so they are just talking crap.

Btw, I had no idea hounds only spawned to max of 10 =P, regardless, the point sticks. When **** happens, no amount of preparation is going to help you deal with it. Because that's what it means, **** hits the fan. It can be beefalo herds breaking out of their pen, it can be rock lobsters overpopulating. It can be 5 tree guardians spawning at once. You can have used your bell already for whatever giant came to attack you. You can run out of gunpowder. Things catch fire during summer at the worst possible time, and food runs out, everything burns, rots, no more restoration.

Whatever it is, it ENDS, one fell swoop. That's what it is. All because randomness hits. It is not MEANT to be survived. Just like how abuse isn't meant to be how life is lived.

If it's not this one randomness, the next one can come.

If there is anything to take away, randomness of bullshit is not meant to be dealt with. Lack of prior knowedge is a good enough reason for a failure. When **** happens, they happen, and thereafter, the world outside the computer doesn't end.

Play again when you feel like having fun. That's all to it.

First off I would like to say that I find this game pretty easy. I can make it to day 300 without even using resurrection. But thats because I have hella hours in the game with tons of experience. But enough about that, let me actually be helpful.

For surviving summer the key is clothes. Make a straw hat, it gives you more time before over heating. Drop your backpack! you don't need it! Wear a summer frest instead, this will almost double your time you can spend in the heat. And if you manage to get a blue gem and the hat machine, you can make a cooling amulet which you can put on for a few seconds in emergency situations to cool you down, and then swap it back to the summer frest to keep you cool. Oh and if you're Willson, shave your beard, It makes you hot faster.

When fighting, ALWAYS wear armor. The log suit alone will block 80% of incoming damage. Put on a football hat also, and thats 96% damage reduction, thats an insane amount of protection!

Finding food with Wigfrid is easy if you know where to look. When you see suspicious looking dirt piles on the ground, always track them. They will lead you to a koalaphant that drops 8 pieces of meat and a koalaphant drunk that is also good food. As Wigfrid you can kill them easily when wearing armor. When you're killing beefalo, you need to lure 1 away from the herd to kill it. To do this I usually just hit one and then run, because the one that you hit will chase you for longer than the rest of the herd. And most importantly, use a crockpot. 1 piece of monster meat and 3 berries will give you meat balls, which restores over 60 hunger! By doing this you just took 4 useless pieces of food and turned it into an extremely useful piece of food. 1 monster meat, 2 regular meat, and 1 berry will give you meaty stew, which restores 150 hunger! (you can use mushrooms instead of berries in both recipes, there just filler anyway)

Hopefully you actually read this, and its is helpful in someway.

Everyone on this thread is complaining about this game being cheap, I haven't had the time to read each and everything, so let me pick out some issues that most people in this game find "cheap"

Note -

Don't Starve is an UNCOMPRISING wilderness survival game, and adheres to the Dwarf Fortress variety of "Fun" Don't Starve cannot be won in a traditional sense, so your only goal is to survive until losing, therefore, since Don't Starve = Losing, and Don't Starve = Fun, Losing = Fun. If something you think unfair happened, analyze the situation, pick up how you could've survived, and continue on, if you don't like it, suck it up and play a different game.

Firstly, let's tackle Wigfrids food problem. Now, I'd just like to get it out of the way that Wigfrid is the last character you unlock, meaning you should have a fair amount of experience before playing as her. Wigfrid with her shield and spear is made for killing things. She regains health and sanity by killing things. So you have to have some balancing factor, she can't eat vegetables, big deal, you can just kill everything and take it's meat. Here's where the planning comes in. When playing as Wigfrid, making a Bird Cage and Crock Pot should be your first goal, secondly you need to find a bunch of Spider nests, kill them. Bring your monster meat back to your base, give exactly 3/4 of your Monster Meat to your bird and make eggs. Go to your Crock Pot, put 1 Monster Meat, If you have any normal meat, I.e. Morsels, Big Meat, put it in next, then fill the remaining slots with eggs. Boom, free meal, no problem. 

Secondly, Summer is "hard" Well yes, Genius, thank you for pointing that out, but let me remind you, Summer is NOT mandatory, Reign Of Giants is meant for advanced players who can survive into the hundreds of days in vanilla Don't Starve, so you have to have some kind of challenge, and that, in this iteration, is Summer. Summer is just like Winter, no really, it's exactly the same. You have a Giant that destroys your base, check. You have equipment you need to stay cool, check. You have an ulterior threat you need to deal with outside of just monsters and Giants check. Also, let me just remind you that to get to Summer, in an average game, you'd have to be well past day 80. By that time you should have a whole host of farms, At least 1 or 2 Ice Flingomatics, Crockpots, and Stone galore. And if you don't want to deal with the Giant, you don't have to. Here, let me give you a little tip. The Dragonfly is attracted to Birchnuts so let me give you a way of avoiding having to touch him at all. First, gather up enough stone and make a wall around your camp, it doesn't have to be a full wall, 1 turf-wide gaps in between each wall will work, as the Dragonfly can't go through smaller areas. Now, make sure you have 0 Birchnuts in your camp, otherwise the Dragonfly will break your walls with his melee attacks and come after them. Next, litter Birchnuts going from around your base to an area where a particularly strong enemy lies, preferably a herd of beefalo. Some clockworks, whatever. Now, from here you get to decide what to do. Lure him over to your enemies, and have them kill it. Or you could always just lead him away from your base and stay away from his area. That's what I did with the MooseGoose for a while. Come up with more creative solutions if you will.

P.s. - To everyone saying "It's random, you're going to die to it eventually" while the latter part is true, the former isn't. Everything in this game can be planned for and predicted down to the day it's going to happen. The game even gives you the tools to do it. @Soneoak is the one talking crap here.

1 monster meat, 2 regular meat, and 1 berry will give you meaty stew, which restores 150 hunger! (you can use mushrooms instead of berries in both recipes, there just filler anyway)

I like using 1 monster meat 1 normal meat and two filler meats(morsels or drumsticks because they're easy to get), personally

Also, for everyone complaining about giants and stuff getting set on fire, you know you can turn those things off in world generation, right?

I like using 1 monster meat 1 normal meat and two filler meats(morsels or drumsticks because they're easy to get), personally

Also, for everyone complaining about giants and stuff getting set on fire, you know you can turn those things off in world generation, right?

And? Just because you can turn them off doesn't fix the problem. What he wants is to be able to survive a full legit game of DS, no world generation tweaks included.

And? Just because you can turn them off doesn't fix the problem. What he wants is to be able to survive a full legit game of DS, no world generation tweaks included.

Well, if that's not what he's looking for, my honest only recommendation is to git gud. The advice in this thread is more than enough, I guess I would recommend a killpit with tooth traps? if you start in autmn and want to kill the deerclops when he comes around, then a shadow sword and shadow armor would be more than enough to take him out by tanking without losing too much health if you can't kite (you only take 3 or so damage). The first time I had killed him, I honestly just led him over to that spot with all those spiders and mineable rocks and sat just outside of his range of his attacks, and then picked up the eye and left when he died. Tenticles are good too.

Hey, I want that too!  So I'm playing the game that way (well, almost.  I set the seasons to long autumn and long spring, and start in autumn) and play, hoping to learn from each death enough to perhaps survive a bit longer in the next world I play.

I'm now at 62 days for my record, and now die from Deerclopes instead of hounds.  Progress!  I'm glad that the game is as hard as it, it really makes it feel like I've gained some mastery whenever I survive something that used to kill me every time.

Of course, if Don't Starve is too hard, there are always other survival games out there.  Sims 4 just came out not that long ago, for example.

To OP and @Soneoak

I am with Wigfried at 200 or 300 day and i have no problems with anything. Is it hard? Yes it is and i like it but not impossible. Firstly Soneoak writing about videos with day 1000 or so with cheats? What cheats? I never heard of cheats in DS if there are some just dont tell me. This game is too much fun to ruin it with cheats. Like cheats for what ... IDDQD like in doom? LOL

Just go to TWITCH and serach for @Flare2V ... he did 1000 days in TOTAL DARKNESS with WES!!!! I dont think he used some cheats, mods or whatever else.

About survival

SUMMER - i am wandering around like in winter or autumn or whatever just use stuff for summer like you do for winter. Eyebrella + thermal stone + that shirt + maybe some icecream or something like that gives you SO MUCH TIME ON SUN and then you can make cold fire - i dont even use shirt or food i just make cold fire or run back to home and also i have cold firepits in strategic places so i run to these. All this whining was here when winter was challenging and now you are surviving winter with no problems at all because you have skill to do so ... you need this for summer too.

Is summer hard? YES. Is summer survivable? YES. BUT is summer little boring? YES. In winter you get new creatures and lot of new stuff to do and summer just bring couple new stuff and thats all. BUT HEY if summer bring new creatures and more "summer" stuff there will be even more complaints about someone dying from some "summer" stuff. But i want more stuff that can kill me :D I really do. Thats the fun. Last time i died it was from McTusk even i killed him countless times but i was unlucky then i revive from one touchstone and since i didnt put stuff near that one i died again. SO NOW i put couple items near every touchstone so i dont die next time. Easy

GIANTS - when i hear those guys coming i run from base ... if i cant see him i run back and if he is around my base i just hit him once and he will follow me away from base ... where is problem with that? Oh BTW i tank last Deerclops with Wigfrieds helmet, shadow armor and kill him with wigfrieds spear - i didnt even run away from him he was hitting me all the time. For that giant bee im using sleeping darts or panflute and then hit him couple times then again. Or you can put him to sleep with ash too. 

HOUNDS - you dont have time to make tousand hound traps when you are in day 1000? I already have A LOT of them and im at day 250 or so ... with those traps its ultra easy to get rid of them ... ALSO i did this only for fun because as wigfried you can kill them with armor and helmet with no problem since you get life and sanity for killing. Just kite them a little

OH and BTW i never used any mods at all. Never. Only mod i tried was Screecher because it was from Klei .)

Dude just learn how the game works and the game mechanics and you should be fine.Dont Starve for the newbie is very difficult till understand how to survive.RoG is difficult(a little bit more,thats true),untill u know how to defend ur self and make good preparation for the seasons.Ruins are hellish place untill u understand how nightmare cycles works,had a very good preparation,deal with those epic depth worms and have alt backup light with you.Adventure is hard as $@%^&% until u understand how each unique world works and what u should be aware of.... :)

the smoldering I kinda have a problem with, its like how lightning used to destroy random forests just because you were walking by(I dont know if it still does). stuff burning at night sucks too

When raining and you hear lightnings,avoid traveling in the forest or near the forest except if u want to create a charcoal field :p.Stay near ur base lightning rod untill storm ends or walk in areas that there is no plenty of trees around. 

About smoldering there is a solution.When u hear it/see it,go there quickly extinguish it,before becomes a fire.This applys to everything,tree,grass,chest,flowers.Just to mention a tip:inside caves there is not so much hit and there is no smoldering effects around.I cannot confirm this but i spent an entire summer in caves and i havent seen one....

Stop balancing it to make it harder! make it easier! And no i dont wanna use mods, i feel like I've failed if I use mods.

Klei balances things to make stuff less exploitable, they're not making it "harder" for the sake of making it harder.

You don't lose anything by using mods, it's more of the opposite. I know this is up to you, but don't let your "I'm a failure if I use mods" mindset get the best of you, it won't improve your gaming experience in the slightest.

Did you know that you can pacify the treeguards by planting pinecones near them?  At least the piney ones, I dunno what to do with the birch ones.   If you get close to them when you plant it you have a pretty good chance to put them to sleep after a few tried.

I find it hard too, I haven't even beaten winter. The stupid treegaurds kill me. My friend whose played just the same amount as I have 20 Hours, hasn't seen a single treegaurd. While I encounter one almost every game.

If you're in a middle of an attack by something else, then it could be an issue but generally, beside your generic panic room which you should have near the base that makes all of the attacks pretty manageable, including treeguards, you should always have some tooth traps littering your base too, just in case you like to spend your nights chopping near your campfire, and so you don't get surprised if one pops out. If you're away from the base, plant lotes of cones while being as near him as possible without getting hit and he'll revert into a tree.

After learning how to face every challenge, I find this game easy. There's at least one simple solution to every problem this game throws at you (often a few), so once you figure out an easy solution for each problem you'll survive. If anyone can't figure out a solution and wants to give up, he/she could ask for one on the forums - so many here seem enthusiastic to share they beat the game :p

Don't Starve isn't one of those games where, even if you know what to do, you still need awesome reflexes or need to solve complex logic puzzles equivalent to a grandmaster chess game. It's just about figuring out what to do.

Okay, my tip:

Tree Guard that you meet before you are prepared (like those you meet between day-1 to day-15) : If a Pig sees a Tree Guard, he will attack the Tree Guard, and the Tree Guard will fight the pig and forget about you. After the Tree Guard kills the pig, well, he won't remember you - you're safe :) and it'll just walk around (but don't chop trees near it!) If it's not day time and the pig is hiding in his house, you can run around (with a torch) until it's day. Many other monsters will fight Tree Guards, just try and find out which ones. You can clear the roaming tree guards at a later point in the game when you have powerful weapons and armor.

Archived