Your luckiest moments in Don't Starve

Don't Starve is a game about surviving, being strategic, making (bad) decisions, exploring, but everyone has to admit : it's often about being (un)lucky.

So, what are the luckiest moments you ever lived in Don't Starve ?

One of my own favorites is that one :

I was playing with Maxwell, with autumn as a starting season. While exploring, I found a beefalo hat (100%) on day 8. Three days later I found a puffy vest (26%). I was fully equipped for winter at day 11 :D

Share your stories !

Well, strange but I also found a beefalo hat 100% and a puffy vest but with 10% thought. I was lucky to find Tallfort in the graveyard area (I'll get ready for that later).

I have never been like really lucky but I guess this is lucky, as I found like 3 boons near each other containing some useful stuff.

Guess we all want more set pieces; I always set my boons to lots :)

Found a place with a entrance to a forest and a swamp plus a entrance to the plains (assuming that is what they are called)

And made my base in the middle of each of the entrances, there was like 10 rabbit holes nearby too.

I'd say mine is very similar.  The map on my newest game is awesome. Basically a pinwheel with beefalo to the south, huge marsh to the southeast, ponds to the north and west and 2 biomes with tons of the rocks. 

Couldn't really ask for a better world and my base is awesome... too bad I'll be leaving it soon :frown-new:

I'd say mine is very similar.  The map on my newest game is awesome. Basically a pinwheel with beefalo to the south, huge marsh to the southeast, ponds to the north and west and 2 biomes with tons of the rocks. 

Couldn't really ask for a better world and my base is awesome... too bad I'll be leaving it soon :frown-new:

Yeah this is also my newest game, i'm playing as webber.

I also forgot to mention i found chester on day 1.

Yeah this is also my newest game, i'm playing as webber.

I also forgot to mention i found chester on day 1.

Do you adjust land branch and land loop? This was the first time I played around with it and I have to say I like this kind of map way better than what I've previously gotten.

I left both of those on default, i don't really know what they do.

Land Branch - Biomes branch of from a somewhat central point and there are lots of dead ends

Land Loop - Biomes are connected and you typically have to go through one biome to reach another

The links are to random google images that give you an idea of what each do to an extreme

UNLUCKY: 1 hour ago, I was trying to collect beard hair as Webber from Beardlings, finally set up my Meat thingy...guess what happens next, a shadow hand appeared and I walked him back to the darkness....but instead of going to the darkness it went all jiggly jaggly to my fire and eventually I got killed in the night...all that efford for that beard hair....wasted...

UNLUCKY: 1 hour ago, I was trying to collect beard hear as Webber from Beardlings, finally set up my Meat thingy...guess what happens next, a shadow hand appeared and I walked him back to the darkness....but instead of going to the darkness it went all jiggly jaggly to my fire and eventually I got killed in the night...all that efford for that beard hair....wasted...

It happened to me once, it's scary when the night hand goes in the wrong direction !

I got unlucky too, a few minutes ago : I'm in the caves, end of autumn, Wickerbottom starts to freeze. I build a fire, put my newly crafted Insulated pack on the ground (crafted like 5 minutes ago) to equip a dapper vest. I set the fire to its maximum with logs... Guess what ? The insulated pack is flammable. Bye bearger gift.

I hate doing that but...

Rage quit. Be careful with your insulated pack :D

UNLUCKY: 1 hour ago, I was trying to collect beard hear as Webber from Beardlings, finally set up my Meat thingy...guess what happens next, a shadow hand appeared and I walked him back to the darkness....but instead of going to the darkness it went all jiggly jaggly to my fire and eventually I got killed in the night...all that efford for that beard hair....wasted...

Always have a campfire and firepit pre-built, makes life easier...

I was on a day 96 ROG world with Wendy and got attacked by hounds (at least eight of them) during summer whilst I was camping out away from my base, near a pig village, at the end of dusk. I used the last of dusk to run to the pig village but they went inside once the hounds attacked. When I killed one of the fire hounds, it caught a pig house on fire and burned the entire village to the ground.

Night fell and I equipped a torch while running across the map towards the giant beefalo herd I usually used to deal with hounds, all while being pursued by about five of them. I lost three to the beefalo but two followed me back to my camp. As I started overheating, I equipped a low durability log suit and a spear and killed the last two, losing health in the process. My health was on 8 and dropping when I threw a log on the endothermic fire. I guess this could be considered unlucky, but it seemed pretty fortunate compared to what could have happened. If more then two hounds had followed me back to my base, I would have died from overheating before being able to kill them.

I was on a day 96 ROG world with Wendy and got attacked by hounds (at least eight of them) during summer whilst I was camping out away from my base, near a pig village, at the end of dusk. I used the last of dusk to run to the pig village but they went inside once the hounds attacked. When I killed one of the fire hounds, it caught a pig house on fire and burned the entire village to the ground.

Night fell and I equipped a torch while running across the map towards the giant beefalo herd I usually used to deal with hounds, all while being pursued by about five of them. I lost three to the beefalo but two followed me back to my camp. As I started overheating, I equipped a low durability log suit and a spear and killed the last two, losing health in the process. My health was on 8 and dropping when I threw a log on the endothermic fire. I guess this could be considered unlucky, but it seemed pretty fortunate compared to what could have happened. If more then two hounds had followed me back to my base, I would have died from overheating before being able to kill them.

Reading your response was stressful :D Good job btw :)

Mods actually worked.

Liar. lol.

My moment is not luck, but REALLY intense skill. Here goes: I just killed a treeguard in the middle of the night when I hear the deerclosp. My third time ever killing him, and my dark sword just broke, so I rush to make a new everything, but nothing gets done. I start to fight him while he tears up my base using the last 10% of my magluminescence to lure him away. I killed had him about half dead, starting to freeze so I set up my campfire and try to fight him there, and then I hear hounds. I run to my hound area (a long corridor made so that hounds stop and get killed by tooth traps) and deerclosp and the hounds go through almost all 40 traps, and there were about 3 left when he kicked the bucke.t (quite violently if I do say so myself) I have maybe 40 health, a 30% logsuit, a 5% fire staff, and a fresh dark sword. Then Deerclops came AGAIN. Trough a valiant fight that lasted until dusk, I had 20 health and nothing left. I started to freeze and needed to chop wood at dusk for the fire. Two treeguards (one tier one the other three) got up and tried to kill me. This whole time I had no  way of respawning, as I reached the surface due to a cave death and the consumption of my effigy. I managed to cook deerclosp and make an effigy, but as I was cooking, the treeguard swiped. It was as close it can possibly get, at three health, I swear I was less than a few miliseconds away from death. I made the effigy, then over the next day killed them both.

So no joke, in the week+ of my life I have dedicated to this game, I have never had anything closer than that. So, I would like to thank Eminem for that, I think the only reason I lived through that was because the most fitting few songs in my playlist lined up. That is the badge I wear most proudly, and I can say that I am great at this game.

Liar. lol.

My moment is not luck, but REALLY intense skill. Here goes: I just killed a treeguard in the middle of the night when I hear the deerclosp. My third time ever killing him, and my dark sword just broke, so I rush to make a new everything, but nothing gets done. I start to fight him while he tears up my base using the last 10% of my magluminescence to lure him away. I killed had him about half dead, starting to freeze so I set up my campfire and try to fight him there, and then I hear hounds. I run to my hound area (a long corridor made so that hounds stop and get killed by tooth traps) and deerclosp and the hounds go through almost all 40 traps, and there were about 3 left when he kicked the bucke.t (quite violently if I do say so myself) I have maybe 40 health, a 30% logsuit, a 5% fire staff, and a fresh dark sword. Then Deerclops came AGAIN. Trough a valiant fight that lasted until dusk, I had 20 health and nothing left. I started to freeze and needed to chop wood at dusk for the fire. Two treeguards (one tier one the other three) got up and tried to kill me. This whole time I had no  way of respawning, as I reached the surface due to a cave death and the consumption of my effigy. I managed to cook deerclosp and make an effigy, but as I was cooking, the treeguard swiped. It was as close it can possibly get, at three health, I swear I was less than a few miliseconds away from death. I made the effigy, then over the next day killed them both.

So no joke, in the week+ of my life I have dedicated to this game, I have never had anything closer than that. So, I would like to thank Eminem for that, I think the only reason I lived through that was because the most fitting few songs in my playlist lined up. That is the badge I wear most proudly, and I can say that I am great at this game.

Lol, sometimes Maxwell just sends everything he's got in a (hopeless) effort to kill us. This reminds me of a time where I was peacefully hunting a Koalephant during winter. I skillfully followed the tracks in the swamps where he got killed by some random tentacle (that was my 1st mistake). Then while picking up the meat and the trunk I got backstabbed by the tentacle because I forgot to put on my armor (that was my second mistake). I respawned at my meat effigy, had a second pre built so no problem, I built another one. A fresh new day had just started, so I went back in the swamp to get my stuff back, but what do I hear ? Deerclops incoming and I just had the time to pick up half of my stuff and make a small fire in the swamp during the night. Deerclops shows up, no problem I skillfully dodge all his attacks while trying to pick up the remaining of my stuff. That was my third mistake as I got killed by another sneaky tentacle while I stopped for half a second to heal up. No problem, remember, I had another meat effigy! I respawn at my base with low health and I hear the hounds coming. I rush and try to craft some weapon and armor, but it was too late. I try to run to my hound kill room but I get surrounded by ~10 hounds and on of them finally gets me. Congratulations Maxwell! =)

I swore to myself that such a painful chain of events would never happen again, and so far, it hasn't!

Lol, sometimes Maxwell just sends everything he's got in a (hopeless) effort to kill us. This reminds me of a time where I was peacefully hunting a Koalephant during winter. I skillfully followed the tracks in the swamps where he got killed by some random tentacle (that was my 1st mistake). Then while picking up the meat and the trunk I got backstabbed by the tentacle because I forgot to put on my armor (that was my second mistake). I respawned at my meat effigy, had a second pre built so no problem, I built another one. A fresh new day had just started, so I went back in the swamp to get my stuff back, but what do I hear ? Deerclops incoming and I just had the time to pick up half of my stuff and make a small fire in the swamp during the night. Deerclops shows up, no problem I skillfully dodge all his attacks while trying to pick up the remaining of my stuff. That was my third mistake as I got killed by another sneaky tentacle while I stopped for half a second to heal up. No problem, remember, I had another meat effigy! I respawn at my base with low health and I hear the hounds coming. I rush and try to craft some weapon and armor, but it was too late. I try to run to my hound kill room but I get surrounded by ~10 hounds and on of them finally gets me. Congratulations Maxwell! =)

I swore to myself that such a painful chain of events would never happen again, and so far, it didn't!

Tentacles are probably the most annoying things to kill you. I put on a football helmet every time I cross a swamp, just in case. 

Weirdly enough I've never had to build a meat effigy, just got lucky with finding touchstones. Sorry you had such bad luck, sometimes it just isn't your day. 

Tentacles are probably the most annoying things to kill you. I put on a football helmet every time I cross a swamp, just in case. 

Weirdly enough I've never had to build a meat effigy, just got lucky with finding touchstones. Sorry you had such bad luck, sometimes it just isn't your day. 

Indeed. That's mostly what happens when I have been playing in the same game for too long. I let my guard down and forget about basic survival stuff, like wearing an armor in the swamps =) Seriously though, I laughed when I died.

Lol, sometimes Maxwell just sends everything he's got in an (hopeless) effort to kill us. This reminds me of a time where I was peacefully hunting a Koalephant during winter. I skillfully followed the tracks in the swamps where he got killed by some random tentacle (that was my 1st mistake). Then while picking up the meat and the trunk I got backstabbed by the tentacle because I forgot to put on my armor (that was my second mistake). I respawned at my meat effigy, had a second pre built so no problem, I built another one. A fresh new day had just started, so I went back in the swamp to get my stuff back, but what do I hear ? Deerclops incoming and I just had the time to pick up half of my stuff and make a small fire in the swamp during the night. Deerclops shows up, no problem I skillfully dodge all his attacks while trying to pick up the remaining of my stuff. That was my third mistake as I got killed by another sneaky tentacle while I stopped for half a second to heal up. No problem, remember, I had another meat effigy! I respawn at my base with low health and I hear the hounds coming. I rush and try to craft some weapon and armor, but it was too late. I try to run to my hound kill room but I get surrounded by ~10 hounds and on of them finally gets me. Congratulations Maxwell! =)

I swore to myself that such a painful chain of events would never happen again, and so far, it hasn't!

Yeah that sounds almost as bad as what happened to me, but you died. I never have died to any boss except the fuzzy rhino and at some point I may have been killed by a queen, but I don't remember (I really don't think that has ever happened, but I remember every boss encounter besides those, so easy). So far nothing worse has happened to me except for the RLA. (rock lobster apocalypse)

finding a shitload of pig houses scattered around the map so i hammered them all and managed to build 10 pig houses next to my base around day 7. my pig army is seriously strong i tell you! it's day 200; i have a village of 25 pig houses now, but still no pig king.

Archived