What does [Combat] mean to you in DS?

C-C-Combat Significance  

44 members have voted

1. 1. To what degree is combat significant in your games (of Don't Starve)?

• Dude, so much--like, so much, dude.
    • 66-80%
    • 46-65%
    • 25-45%
    • Bro, I don't even %.
  2. 2. To what degree should combat be significant in your games (of Don't Starve)?

• M8, I lift.
    • 66-80%
    • 46-65%
    • 25-45%
    • Bro, I don't even.

Well, what does Combat in Don't Starve mean to you?

To elaborate, to what degree is it a part of your games and to what extent do you believe it should be? Feel free to elaborate on how you see the game currently in the realms of combat, and also how you (would like to) see it in the future.

When I start playing Wigfrid, I dissociate into my character. 

Leeroy Jenkins mo-[censor]

OMG that butterfly is so beautiful, must kill with hambat. HS batman, a cute cat thingy just walked passed me, must hug it with MAH hambat!!! What a nice ~*Maxwell came by*~ ashes to ashes 

Edit: k, I usually murder stuff with Wigfrid because I have to do it to survive. If I play Maxwell, I might as well eat mushrooms all day and sit in my base doing nothing. That is why I love DLC so far!!!

I'm very hyper aggressive when it comes to anything combat wise. Probably why I have still yet to kill the dragonfly yet. So most of anything I just try to man fight and face tank it. In general though I feel that combat is kinda unbalanced-ish for some of the characters (willow, Abigail, etc) Unless you grind dumb amounts of blow darts or do the silly bell trick, everything boss wise is a hassle to defeat (but for the spider queen). I do like the fact that combat is punishing in this game and not super easy, but I think its annoying when you die to something because you didn't farm or turtle enough for a certain item. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think combat shouldn't require you to have a large amount of silly items to just get by when you are forced to fight somethings. Hope I answered your question right.

(Is that a CM avatar with Boots in it? looooldafaqiswithallthesedotareferences)

Yeah, you answered the question reasonably. I am asking though, as a more general statement, to what degree should combat be a significant element of Don't Starve in comparison to how it is now (and 'what is it now', too).

The point of the question is an inquiry into whether people prefer the foraging aspects of DS, or the exploring, or the weather, or want this shiz to go all Diablo on d'ere hinds~

(dotadotadota best game)

Also I gotca

I'm torn then really when it comes to this then. I like the exploring but its kinda hindered with all the heavy amounts of combat that is required to get anywhere. Game doesn't give that sense of loneliness anymore because of it. But I like the amount of combat that is in it since that's what makes the game fun and not base building simulator 2014.

(dotadotadota best game)

Also I gotca

I'm torn then really when it comes to this then. I like the exploring but its kinda hindered with all the heavy amounts of combat that is required to get anywhere. Game doesn't give that sense of loneliness anymore because of it. But I like the amount of combat that is in it since that's what makes the game fun and not base building simulator 2014.

Yeah, game has a few issues in deciding its orientation there. It somewhat wants to appeal to many audiences and has somewhat convoluted itself in the process.

Personally, I wish combat was a bit more interesting (Giants have all these interesting mechanics but barely get to apply any of them since they need to be designed so that kiting >>> everything), but I wish things were a bit more simple whilst retaining the hostile element to the environment.

Foraging seems like an integral and focused element, but it's not all that difficult; The Weather is meant to be dynamic, but comes across as more of a hindrance because of its lack of built-in compliments from the other elements (besides combat - kinda); and the difference between persistent and periodic hazards is blurred.

Anyway, only reason I'm elaborating is in the hopes that it helps others articulate their perspective. I honestly don't wish the game to change much from what it is now, but I'd still love to know how people feel about combat et al.

I am always tempted to fight but I would rather get something else to do the fighting for me, if that option is available. That's why I always set up my base within running distance of the swamp (for tentacles) or the savanna (beefaloes) or the grassland (frogs). I think this game is about survival first, combat second. I fight only when my very survival is at stake. Otherwise I avoid combat. The world of Don't Starve  doesn't want to test your skills as a fighter; it simply wants you dead. That being the case, combat is often not the best solution to a threat.

But it's a game with elements of combat. So most people will not hesitate to fight simply because it's exciting and entertaining to them.  Why else, even now, are people still clamoring for multi-player? Because people believe fighting together will be even more exciting and entertaining than fighting alone.  

It's survival game so combat should be last resort thing. You should avoid any combat and HP should be harder to recover, but we all know that this game is more combat focused and action oriented.

tbh I rarely ever get into combat

I'm into the game for survival and the environment mostly and whenever I have to engage in combat I usually just let me beefalos or pigs do most of the work

that's why I never have anything higher tier than just a log suit or a spear if I even bothered making armor in the first place

the only time I fight is when I have to destroy a spider nest for silk or (if it can even be counted as combat) when I need to hunt a koalefant for winter

other than that I don't fight anything at all and just work towards building my base, exploring, and learning as much as I can about the game itself and the lore

Combat is everything, nuff said.

Seryously, currently, Don't Starve is like 80% combat, "Hey! Do you want a honey farm? Go kill some bees!" "Repair your hats? Go kill some dogs!" "Do you want to have a hat in the first place? Go kill some spiders!" "A fridge? No problem! You just need to kill some clockworks" "Gold? Gold requires meat! So get out there and start killing anything and everything that moves!" "You don't like leaving your base to kill things? Worry not! over 20 hounds will find and try to kill you each week!"

Good thing I like combat, and never leave base without a hambat and a logsuit in my inventory, I usually have over 3 stacks of silk and hundreds of rot and gold (monster meat) by day 30.

I don't fight absolutely everything I encounter, though fighting is of course a big part of the gameplay. I usually try to trick my environment to destroy itself for my purposes, dunno if that still counts. I'm perfectly content to the way to game is right now in that aspect.

I'm very hyper aggressive when it comes to anything combat wise. Probably why I have still yet to kill the dragonfly yet. So most of anything I just try to man fight and face tank it. In general though I feel that combat is kinda unbalanced-ish for some of the characters (willow, Abigail, etc) Unless you grind dumb amounts of blow darts or do the silly bell trick, everything boss wise is a hassle to defeat (but for the spider queen). I do like the fact that combat is punishing in this game and not super easy, but I think its annoying when you die to something because you didn't farm or turtle enough for a certain item. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think combat shouldn't require you to have a large amount of silly items to just get by when you are forced to fight somethings. Hope I answered your question right.

You do realize the alternative to this is pushing higher tier fight items toward obsolescence, right?

Combat, unless you need the drop from the mob can just be avoided. I camp by spider nests so I can fight the spiders for the silk at night, other then that sometimes a beefalo for the meat. Anything else I just leave alone because I dont need to fight them.

Combat, unless you need the drop from the mob can just be avoided. I camp by spider nests so I can fight the spiders for the silk at night, other then that sometimes a beefalo for the meat. Anything else I just leave alone because I dont need to fight them.

I agree. You rarely actually need things dead because there are usually alternatives that allow you to avoid threats without fighting them.

However, just because you want something dead doesn't mean you have to fight it. You could lure it into tooth traps, or get it to fight with something else, which is my favorite tactic. For instance, if you really need food from frogs, you'll need to kill them. But the most effective way to do this isn't to fight them, but to lure them into traps or get them to fight beefalo or some other creature. Of course, there are still many new threats I haven't encountered in RoG, so I don't know how true this holds for the new content.

Anyway, I really like how this game gives alternatives to fighting. Fighting things is still a big part of the game and it is generally advantageous, but there are still other options which may be just as good or better depending on the circumstances. It makes the game more complex, because, when some creature shows up, I'm not just thinking, 'How do I fight this?' I'm thinking, 'Do I need to fight this at all?'

I agree. You rarely actually need things dead because there are usually alternatives that allow you to avoid threats without fighting them.

However, just because you want something dead doesn't mean you have to fight it. You could lure it into tooth traps, or get it to fight with something else, which is my favorite tactic. For instance, if you really need food from frogs, you'll need to kill them. But the most effective way to do this isn't to fight them, but to lure them into traps or get them to fight beefalo or some other creature. Of course, there are still many new threats I haven't encountered in RoG, so I don't know how true this holds for the new content.

Anyway, I really like how this game gives alternatives to fighting. Fighting things is still a big part of the game and it is generally advantageous, but there are still other options which may be just as good or better depending on the circumstances. It makes the game more complex, because, when some creature shows up, I'm not just thinking, 'How do I fight this?' I'm thinking, 'Do I need to fight this at all?'

The thing is when the alternatives become better then the fighting itself thats a problem- and im not suggesting that we nerf those just that actual combat becomes more interesting and/or rewarding.

I can set up an entire field of toothtraps and just stand on the middle, and to me thats more satisfying then crafting and using a high tier weapon

The magic staffs make combat somewhat more interesting but they're used up in about 1 or 2 fights.

I dont know, Im just bored with the combat.

You do realize the alternative to this is pushing higher tier fight items toward obsolescence, right?

I kinda think they are obsolete though. Most people don't even craft the dark sword etc. They just use darts or your basic spike you get from the tentacles. Or the most popular method just drag it into another mob to have them fight each other. I'm with InsaneDugong That I don't want combat to be changed since it would probably be for the worse. But combat is just kinda stale at the moment. With the way the monsters are designed, some of them are just too strong for your character to take on. Which is why these methods are so popular, why craft a dark sword just to kill spiders with it?

I kinda think they are obsolete though. Most people don't even craft the dark sword etc. They just use darts or your basic spike you get from the tentacles. Or the most popular method just drag it into another mob to have them fight each other. I'm with InsaneDugong That I don't want combat to be changed since it would probably be for the worse. But combat is just kinda stale at the moment. With the way the monsters are designed, some of them are just too strong for your character to take on. Which is why these methods are so popular, why craft a dark sword just to kill spiders with it?

The Dark Sword is useful for enemies like the Ancient Guardian, who don't have an insanity aura. I understand not many players use the Dark Sword, but that's not to say none utilize it.

Archived