Why do you jerk it?

I'm talking about drying racks! :razz:

I've never built a drying rack, I don't really understand the point. Yes, I know jerky lasts a long time, but I see no real purpose in waiting 2-3 days for one piece of food when I can put the meat in a crock pot and get a delicious meal in 2-3 minutes.  I see people building like 8 drying racks and I want to tear my hair out because it seems like such a waste to me.

So... what exactly is the upside to jerky? I suppose if you just had enormous amounts of food I can see it, but I am pretty much a newb and I've never been so oversupplied with food that I need anything other than an icebox to preserve it.

Thoughts?

Btw- this is my first post here. I've only been playing the game a few months but I am obsessed! Thank you all for the tips. :-)

Btw2- I am doing a series on my youtube account, am I allowed to mention that here? Oops, I guess I just did.

I'm talking about drying racks! :razz:

I've never built a drying rack, I don't really understand the point. Yes, I know jerky lasts a long time, but I see no real purpose in waiting 2-3 days for one piece of food when I can put the meat in a crock pot and get a delicious meal in 2-3 minutes.  I see people building like 8 drying racks and I want to tear my hair out because it seems like such a waste to me.

So... what exactly is the upside to jerky? I suppose if you just had enormous amounts of food I can see it, but I am pretty much a newb and I've never been so oversupplied with food that I need anything other than an icebox to preserve it.

Thoughts?

Btw- this is my first post here. I've only been playing the game a few months but I am obsessed! Thank you all for the tips. :-)

Btw2- I am doing a series on my youtube account, am I allowed to mention that here? Oops, I guess I just did.

Jerky gives health, sanity, and hunger. I'll have like 60 jerky in my ice box/ snow chester constantly and I have no regrets.

Jerky gives health, sanity, and hunger. I'll have like 60 jerky in my ice box/ snow chester constantly and I have no regrets.

Ok, but crock pot meals give health, sanity and hunger, too. I'm just trying to figure out why some people think it is better to hang a meat to dry rather than add it to a crock pot meal.

I don't know how to/if we can edit posts? But I also wanted to say to Mr. Tiddles (lol, love the name) that it seems you're a very experienced player if you are able to have 60 jerky at a time. As I said, I'm a newb. So, would you say jerky is more for the long game? I've never made it past day 55. :(

I don't know how to/if we can edit posts? But I also wanted to say to Mr. Tiddles (lol, love the name) that it seems you're a very experienced player if you are able to have 60 jerky at a time. As I said, I'm a newb. So, would you say jerky is more for the long game? I've never made it past day 55. :(

WELCOME TO THEE FORUMS.

Its ok you will understand some day.

It takes forever to go off, as well, so yeah.

I'm just really lucky. Manage to find all the good stuff, get the rare loot from stuff, and find glitched out areas with 100+ Krampus sacks laying in a pile.

but, yes, I always jerk my meat every chance I get. huehue

And you need to have a certain amount of posted before you can edit.

Spelunking... Jerky is the food of choice when you go on long cave/ruin runs.  It last so much longer than other food so you don't have to worry about running out.

And like above, I think 4 jerky give more than 1 meaty stew, but I'm not sure on that.

In all reality, you can live off of a few bee boxes at some point, so farms, drying racks, and crock pots are all really unneeded.

Well consider that the racks are made of renewable resources, so making them isn't a waste. Then compare meat, cooked meat, and jerky.

Meat is around 15 hunger, 0 health, -something sanity about 5 days to spoil.

Cooked is 25 hunger, 3 health, and 0 sanity, spoils 10 days.

Then jerky gives 25 hunger, 15 health, 15 sanity.

So you lose 75 hunger a day. You will be fine if you just eat a carrot and jerk your meat for 2 days  :cool2:

I make drying racks when I get a surplus of meat, like when I kill a Koelefant or am trying to get a Beefalo horn. With 4 farms I only need one small piece of meat to make a fine meal of meatballs, so 8 or more meat is going to go bad before I use it. Thus, the drying rack. It's kind of like an insurance policy, or a cushion in case of emergencies.

I C Whut U did thar.

For me, it's not about crockpot OR rack.  I usually will go out frogging and come back with 15-20 pieces that will spoil in a few days.  It's a better use of my time to throw 8 of those on racks, cook a couple bunwiches, then rack and cook the rest two days later.  Meanwhile, I can spend those days doing other things without having to hang out at the pot.  I end up with a nice stack of small jerky that will stay fresh much longer and some fresh crock pot food that I'll need to eat in a couple days.

It sometimes takes me a while to get gears, depending on world gen, so it's much more reliable to have a rack-based strategy for early food preservation since an ice box might not be available yet.

The other advantage is that jerky can be eaten straight up for good sanity regen (crock pot foods don't give good sanity/food returns) or it can be cooked later on when meat is scarce.  So yeah, it takes some time at the start, and it's not good if you need quick food.  But it's a small time investment for a lot more options later one.

Go ahead, see how long you can go without jerking your meat.

(I like to cook IRL, so the cooking mechanics are really fun for me too!)

Thank you all for your replies! Maybe I will try out the jerky next time I play. I think I just really like making crock pot recipes. I have a list printed out and everything! :grin:

If you want to have fun, you can try making a deep dish pizza in the crock pot...

First put a bit of olive oil in the crockpot.  Next, put your crust in and spread it up on the sides a couple inches.  Now add your cheese, then your meat, veggies, seasoning, and finally the sauce on top. 

turn on the crockpot and get ready for a tasty deep dish pizza

Thank you all for your replies! Maybe I will try out the jerky next time I play. I think I just really like making crock pot recipes. I have a list printed out and everything! :grin:

You can always add jerky into the crock pot as part of your meals. So its not like you lose anything other than time.

I typically only have three drying racks at a time. Enoguh to keep a supply on hand, but not so much that I feel like I am playing 'meatmaker'

I find jerky most useful in a vanilla when the main threat a player faces is winter. Sometimes having an ice box isn't enough and meat ends up being on the verge of rotting--putting it on a drying rack is an excellent way to make things fresh again, (I'm not sure if this has changed.) especially when playing as wigfrid. Monster jerky is also useful when it is being given to the pig king and whatnot.

Archived