Inventory - what to ditch?

I have a backpack and chester, and still usually never have enough open slots of inventory space. This also means I rarely can explore w/o a backpack - which puts me at risk when I need to swap into armor quickly. I spend half of the day rearranging and deciding what goes where so I can drop the backpack or have chester die and not miss some critical thing during a battle or retreat.  

Is this what it's like for all of you? Should I stop hoarding all this stuff and clear out space?

Here's my bare bones "mid game" inventory. What could I drop?

Body

Spear

Backpack

Football Helmet

Myself (1-3 open slots)

Grass stack

Twig stack

Flint stack

Stone stack

Wood stack

Pinecones (for treeguards mostly)

Heat stone

Ice wand

Healing salve stack (or poultice stack)

Other Hat (either a winter or summer one depending on the season, headlamp if caving)

Eyebone

Spare Meal (or stack of them)

Lantern (if caving)

Life Amulet (if caving)

Backpack (1 open slot)

Tentacle Spike (or a spare weapon)

Axe

Shovel

Pick

Gold stack

Seed stack

Armor e.g. a Log Suit

Chester (3 open slots)

Razor

Pitchfork

Hammer

Fishing Pole

Bug Net (or brid trap)

Meat meal (when caving)

I feel like I don't really need all this stuff all the time, and placing stuff into chester is so slow. But as soon as I leave something behind, I wish I had it.

I would just plant the pinecones. Treeguards are easy to kite. But go ahead and keep the pinecones if you want.

The "ice wand" (Ice Staff i'm assuming) could be ditched, but its optional.

You can plant as much of the seed stack as you can, then put the rest away, but don't exactly ditch it.

Razor and pitchfork should be left behind. I don't think you really need a bug net either at all times. (Listen to Maximum on this one)

(Edited a few more things in because i was in a rush and didnt read all the items you had)

Anything not flammable can be left on the ground at your camp, some of the odd tools like the hammer and pitchfork are things you dont need unless you have a clear goal of what you want to get with them. Same with the razor, just leave it back at camp and take it with you when you need it.

Well if you always are carrying your resources with you, you don't need a spare weapon, because you can always craft a spear easily.

Like person said above, razor/pitchfork/hammer/bug net/fishing pole should all stay at camp.  These typically are only used when going on a specific mission.

Pinecones aren't regularly needed, so why carry them.  If you are gonna harvest a ton of wood, then yeah, but otherwise leave them in a chest.  Same with seeds, why carry them?

If you are spelunking, then you don't need an axe or shovel typically, so leave them behind.

I guess the bottom line is that if you are "exploring", you shouldn't need stuff for resources.  If you are going to collect resources, just take what you need.  The map is only so big, so you can always go back to an area to collect/harvest something you didn't have room for at the time.

If you want to keep much of the stuff, go with this set up... 

Equipped

Tentacle Spike

Backpack

Football Helmet

Main

Food 1

Food 2

Food 3

Food 4 / Light Bulbs (caves)

Healing Salve / Honey Poultice

Open

Open

Open

Open

Open

Heat Stone

Pick Axe

Ice Staff

Armor

Miner Hat (caves)/ Beefalo Hat (winter)

Backpack

Grass

Twigs

Logs

Rocks

Flint

Gold

Axe / Lantern (caves)

Shovel / Cave Item (Lift Amulet, etc)

Yup, but I know the border between opness and fairplay

Very true.

Some of the OP mods are hilarious and/or fun though, like this one: (This one is intended to be OP though) http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=171633441&searchtext=

I certainly wouldn't call being able to use a backpack and armor at the same time OP, though it is kinda close if you think about it.

Very true.

Some of the OP mods are hilarious and/or fun though, like this one: (This one is intended to be OP though) http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=171633441&searchtext=

I certainly wouldn't call being able to use a backpack and armor at the same time OP, though it is kinda close if you think about it.

LOL, that mod is only a little OP, but I bet it takes up a lot of meaty stew to fill up that stomach...

On the second note, I am surprised there isn't a mod yet for a craftable armored backpack which has durability of armor but also has slots to carry stuff.  When armor is destroyed, you drop all the contents on the ground...

I don't think there's a mod that actually adds 100 slots. #exaggerationdetected

But yeah, this is a problem for me :3

I think there is either an 80 or 100 slot version of RPGHUD. I  use the 30 slot+backpack slot. I think being able to carry things is more convenient than OP, after all what am I going to do with mats/tools that is so op... 

I usually go with this set up:

Equipped:

Walking cane

Seasonal hat

Seasonal clothing

Inventory:

Flint (1st slot if fighting frogs, you don't want to lose anything that could prevent you from making an emergency torch/fire)

Twigs

Grass

Logs

Thermal stone (summer/winter) or Empty

Body Armor

Head armor

Weapon

Empty

Empty

Empty

Empty

Food (for long expeditions) or empty

Healing item

Miner's hat or moggles (always, for night exploration/fights)

Notes:

That leaves me with between 4 and 6 free intentory slots for anything that I find during my expeditions or situational items (light bulb for miner's hat or sewing kit for moggles, only when going in the caves). Anything else than what I mentionned is most of the time unecessary, especially on default size world.

If I am going in the caves/ruins, I usually bring either an insulated pack for food or a regular back pack in which I put all the important minerals I find to prevent rock lobsters from eating them if I were to die.

If I need to collect a specific ressource in large quantity, I'll bring a back pack and/or Chester for additional space.

Notice I rarely bring tools with me. I only do if I go out to gather a specific ressource. Otherwise, I will just craft one when needed and either use it up or leave it somewhere if I don't need it anymore or if my inventory is full.

Wow, that's a lot of stuff. As NeoDeusMachina said, leave all tools on the base (except combat ones though). I would also leave the stack of flint or gold (I'm never with both on inventory, that's up to you)

My setup is always like this:

Equipped:

Walking cane

Sanity/Temperature Cloth

Sanity/Temperature Hat

Inventory:

Weapon

Armor

Head Armor

Healing item

Food

Empty

Empty

Lantern

Miner Hat

Gold or Flint

Logs

Twigs

Grass

Thermal Stone

Eyebone

This is the max of stuff i carry around. If my sanity is fine,i may leave the cloth behind and use the armor instead; If not a dangerous season, then i leave the Thermal Stone; If not a long trip away from base, then i leave food behind too; and so on. 

Never carry what you won't use and consider making little specific explorations (Fishing day, Bee-catching day, etc...).

Also, craft a piggyback and turn chester into Shadow chester. This will give you a lot of space.

For my stuff, if you consider that I don't have a special bag/amulet slots, it's something like:

Equiped:
Walking cane
Season cloth
Season hat

Inventory:
Ranged weapon
Armor
Helmet
Eyebone

Chester:
Generally food and tools.

And that's all. Because I'm a warrior I don't need to have another weapon than my walking cane. Ranged weapon in the bag is here for koalefants.
With this stuff, I have no problem carrying materials as long as I am not too greedy...

Wouldn't your seeds go bad if you carried them with you? You should get Snow Chester (put a blue gem in each of his inventory slots on a full moon) that acts as a portable icebox to store your food and seeds if you want to carry them with you. 

Archived