[Game Update] Snow and Shadow Chester

Thanks to our KickStarter backers, Snow and Shadow Chester have been added to Steam (Standalone and PS4 soon!)

post-1-0-76293200-1395946284_thumb.jpg

To get Snow Chester in-game:

• Fill Chester’s inventory with Blue Gems and on the night of a full moon, he will consume the gems and transform to Snow Chester!

• Along with a new arctic white fur coat and blue springy feet, he becomes a portable Ice Box and will give you a bonus to the time it takes for food inside of him to spoil. 

• If Snow Chester is defeated in the game by enemies, a classic Chester will still respawn after a while, just as he does now.

To get Shadow Chester in-game:

• First, you'll have to watch the in-game moon cycle. If your regular ol’ Chester happens to have every inventory slot filled with Nightmare Fuel on the night of a full moon, he will consume it and become Shadow Chester.

• Along with having new dark fur, he will also have 3 extra inventory slots permanently.

• If Shadow Chester is defeated in the game by enemies, a classic Chester will still respawn after a while, just as he does now.

I got my ice chester while it was holding an ice staff, nothing was consumed, but he still transformed into ice chester during the full moon ! I don't know if this was intentional or not, since only blue gems were mentionned in the original post... I wasn't even aware of it being implemented at all !

Edit: In all the excitement I forgot to mention how nice these new Chester upgrades are. I usually just left him sit near my firepit, but not anymore ! =) Thanks !

does that mean you updated standalone to api5?

Not quite yet; this update just added Snow and Shadow Chester to the Steam version of the game. 

Currently, Steam versions of Don't Starve (regardless of owning Reign of Giants) have their API version set to 5. Other versions of Don't Starve have not yet been patched with support for DLC but will get patched once we're ready to put DLC on those versions.

The Standalone and PS4 versions should also get Snow and Shadow Chester soon. 

Not quite yet; this update just added Snow and Shadow Chester to the Steam version of the game. 

Currently, Steam versions of Don't Starve (regardless of owning Reign of Giants) have their API version set to 5. Other versions of Don't Starve have not yet been patched with support for DLC but will get patched once we're ready to put DLC on those versions.

The Standalone and PS4 versions should also get Snow and Shadow Chester soon. 

I'm sorry Jan, (as much as I love you guys as Devs) this is ridiculous....

its a single check that prevents half of their playerbase from loading mods flagged as 5,

api 5 DOES NOT mean you require dlc support, its 5 even if you dont have dlc active!

and api 5 does not provide any extra 'functionality' as far as i know....

version issues are just messing up with modding target audience and explaining why something crashes or why something shows as 'outdated' is getting old... for what?

what is it that steam non dlc client has that standalone doesnt?

being that steam with no DLC allows api 5, and 'complains' about api 4, why the heck cant non steam with no DLC flag itself to support api 5 again?

as a matter of fact there is NO WAY to say 'requires dlc' in modinfo (except well, in text form) at all, which is another issue...

you're not splitting playerbase even on if they have dlc or not, you're splitting them on artificial number that means nothing to them, dlc flags are not done through that number but IsDLCenabled, so what's the issue etc

prob not the right place to post this, but frustrated modder is frustrated.

I was just expecting a shadow chester at first, but a snow chester that acts like an ice box would be pretty useful for storing food. I remember a while back when I made a suggestion for Chester to transform into an alternate form by adding nightmare fuel in his inventory or changing on a full moon a year back. Good to see something similar was officially added to the game :-)

Here's the dreadfully long idea I had put in a now long dead thread if you have the patience to read it ;)

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

I came up with an idea for our good friend Chester. On nights when the moon is full, he transforms into a monstrous version of himself: Cheshire. When turned into Cheshire, he will have much more ragged fur, sharp teeth, and bigger, more evil-looking horns. He will follow the player and try to murder them by biting with razor-sharp teeth, hitting them with a demonic, forked tongue like a whip, lunging at them like a warrior spider, and ramming them with spear-like horns.The player will also notice that the eye bone in their inventory will also transform into a more twisted version of itself with sharpened red/black iris and as long as the player holds the eye bone, Cheshire will follow them and try to murder them wherever they go until the night is over.Alternatively, if you put too much monster meat in Chester, he may have a chance to transform into Cheshire permanently, similar to if you feed a pig too much monster meat. If you decide to put your faithful companion down or wait until the full moon is gone, you will discover that all the items you had placed inside him during his time as Cheshire have been converted into nightmare fuel and all food items converted into rot. If used correctly, Cheshire can but used as a nightmare fuel farm by placing items you don't want into him and either wait until the full moon to come and go or feed him too much monster meat then kill him.If you have the eye bone placed inside Chester when he turns into Cheshire, he will be unable to see you but he CAN hear you and will follow the sound of footsteps either from you or nearby creatures and attack them when in range. If you drop the Eye bone on the ground however, he will be able to see you and come after you until you are out of range of the eye bone. Once out of range, he will give up chasing you can return to the spot where the Eye bone is.I finished drawing up a picture of the idea and am currently working on it in photoshop in my spare time, let me know if this a good idea or not.

• Developer

I'm sorry Jan, (as much as I love you guys as Devs) this is ridiculous....

its a single check that prevents half of their playerbase from loading mods flagged as 5,

api 5 DOES NOT mean you require dlc support, its 5 even if you dont have dlc active!

and api 5 does not provide any extra 'functionality' as far as i know....

version issues are just messing up with modding target audience and explaining why something crashes or why something shows as 'outdated' is getting old... for what?

what is it that steam non dlc client has that standalone doesnt?

being that steam with no DLC allows api 5, and 'complains' about api 4, why the heck cant non steam with no DLC flag itself to support api 5 again?

as a matter of fact there is NO WAY to say 'requires dlc' in modinfo (except well, in text form) at all, which is another issue...

you're not splitting playerbase even on if they have dlc or not, you're splitting them on artificial number that means nothing to them, dlc flags are not done through that number but IsDLCenabled, so what's the issue etc

prob not the right place to post this, but frustrated modder is frustrated.

I'm sorry that you're frustrated. It is indeed a small change but we're not ready to roll out the DLC support changes for standalone, and that's what API version 5 equates to. Version 5 didn't change much on the mods side of things, but it did change a lot of game code and introduce a split install-base (DLC and no-DLC), so we increased it to signal to modders that there might be some work to do to make their mods work. I understand that it's frustrating to have two different mod APIs at the moment, but we will be making them match once we're ready to put DLC on standalone.

If you, or anyone else, would like to use a mod that is set to API version 5 on standalone, you can very simply manually change the API version of the mod or the game itself. It won't have any effects beyond what mods are considered valid and what mods are considered out of date.

Once we are done with Reign of Giants, we will be adding a way to specify if mods are usable with just the main game or with Reign of Giants, or both. We're a small team and our priority right now is to finish Reign of Giants. Please be patient in the meantime. Thanks.

Archived