[MOD] Hero in the Dark (original thread)

*cough* bug (I had an Webber's skull in inventory):

.../Don't Starve/data/../mods/HeroInTheDark/modmain.lua:1066: attempt to index field 'hole' (a nil value)
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/../mods/HeroInTheDark/modmain.lua(1066,1) in function 'onfinish'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/components/workable.lua(96,1) in function 'WorkedBy'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/actions.lua(467,1) in function 'fn'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/bufferedaction.lua(19,1) in function 'Do'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/entityscript.lua(942,1) in function 'PerformBufferedAction'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/stategraphs/SGwilson.lua(1160,1) in function 'fn'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/stategraph.lua(476,1) in function 'UpdateState'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/stategraph.lua(515,1) in function 'Update'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/stategraph.lua(111,1) in function 'Update'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/update.lua(127,1)
scripts/frontend.lua(717,1) SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen
Force aborting...

EDIT:
It's still same when haven't Webber's skull...

meh, we fixed that once and then they broke it again lol

It will be in the next update for the mod, thanks for giving us the bug report :)

meh, we fixed that once and then they broke it again lol

It will be in the next update for the mod, thanks for giving us the bug report :-)

actually, we will have a hotfix for this shortly, but I am about to go to sleep, so it might be 8ish hours :o

*cough* bug (I had an Webber's skull in inventory):

.../Don't Starve/data/../mods/HeroInTheDark/modmain.lua:1066: attempt to index field 'hole' (a nil value)
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/../mods/HeroInTheDark/modmain.lua(1066,1) in function 'onfinish'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/components/workable.lua(96,1) in function 'WorkedBy'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/bufferedaction.lua(19,1) in function 'Do'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/entityscript.lua(942,1) in function 'PerformBufferedAction'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/stategraphs/SGwilson.lua(1160,1) in function 'fn'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/stategraph.lua(476,1) in function 'UpdateState'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/stategraph.lua(515,1) in function 'Update'
        D:/Program Files/Don't Starve/data/scripts/stategraph.lua(111,1) in function 'Update'
Force aborting...

EDIT:
It's still same when haven't Webber's skull...

Not sure it's caused by same thing, that error implies hole component does not exist, and it should exist for any game with dlc active. Could you please tell us the exact version, also if it's steam or standalone? Version number is at the bottom left corner of that error screen, or simply press backspace on main menu.

Thanks.

It's standalone RoG 1.100880

The current Standalone version is 100982, you might want to run updater. I can't seem to be able to reproduce the crash, not sure if it's some bug in that version or a collision with some other mod or something else.

I'll try, but only after 1 am CET tommorow *glares at 15GB wi-fii limit*.

Yikes 15GB... that stinks :(

Only ISP's I am aware of that still do that are in Africa, my south African friends complain non-stop about that haha

But anyway, please let us know if you have the same problem after you update, we tested on standalone (updated) and it seemed fine. 

Nope, still crashes:

...Don't Starve/data/../mods/HeroInTheDark/modmain.lua:1066: attempt to index field 'hole' (a nil value)
Force aborting...

Just had a question that hit me. There was a slight bug where Tiny alchemy powers wasn't working with up and away and I was curious if there was going to be any conflict with this mod and that one.

Probably :/ I have standalone DS, so I can't have steam tap mod so that's possible.

Btw I'm not playing U&A with other mods (outofspace error) so I can only think which from mods are incompatible with HitD (over 40 mods, yuck!)

Nope, still crashes:

...Don't Starve/data/../mods/HeroInTheDark/modmain.lua:1066: attempt to index field 'hole' (a nil value)
Force aborting...

I don't know, I can/will put the checks in place, but without hole component you wouldn't be able to actually bury webber. Are there other mods you have active that could influence the graveyard mechs? Basically 'something' seems to be overwriting the changes ROG did to mounds, that allows it to bury webber skull for unlocking etc.

I had to override certain parts of that function, so I am using ROG original function code if I detect ROG enabled (and the stuff is hardcoded I couldn't just use the old function call). What that error suggests to me is that something else does the same thing AND overwrites it with a non-ROG way - not having ROG would be fine but having ROG and having old behavior of said prefab is causing issues, as I cannot tell its behavior has been reverted.

Just had a question that hit me. There was a slight bug where Tiny alchemy powers wasn't working with up and away and I was curious if there was going to be any conflict with this mod and that one.

I don't know, would have to try and see. We're not changing cookpot recipes or well... any of the stuff they did, at first glance. At least what's shown for tap version on site here, I don't have steam either so if that one is different, Kraken can check if it crashes.

Tiny Alchemy Powers is not compatible with U&A because I gave the author a sample code for how to add custom ground types but he didn't follow the warning about ground ids having to be unique (even though I said Up and Away's started from 64 and I suggested 80 as a starting point)*. So at least I can say there's no incompatibility between Tiny Alchemy and Hero in the Dark caused by the same reason.

* The author said he'll fix this issue around May 19th, though this will break compatibility with older saves using Tiny Alchemy.

Tiny Alchemy Powers is not compatible with U&A because I gave the author a sample code for how to add custom ground types but he didn't follow the warning about ground ids having to be unique (even though I said Up and Away's started from 64 and I suggested 80 as a starting point)*. So at least I can say there's no incompatibility between Tiny Alchemy and Hero in the Dark caused by the same reason.

* The author said he'll fix this issue around May 19th, though this will break compatibility with older saves using Tiny Alchemy.

Ahh, ok thanks for clearing that up!

Ahh, ok thanks for clearing that up!

I tested it with  Tiny Alchemy and it was fine for now, but unfortunately there will probably be collisions in the future, since we plan on adding in an alchemy workshop for other crafting purposes and some other things that might collide/mess up.

During our items update (after the next dungeon), we will be adding in a lot of new items/weapons/armor/boots/rings and cooking recipes along with more resources. Basically while designing this mod, I put a lot of time into balancing the mechanics of the heroes vs the environment within the mod. If you noticed, we lowered a lot of the stats for armors, and made the better armors much more rare, so for example if you take a mod that adds in a new helmet/hat, its most likely going to be OP for the effort required to make it compared to the other items within the mod because a lot of mods are basing their items around the original game and we rewrote the whole combat system. 

As for Up and Away, I'm "guessing" we might collide due to the world code but I'm not sure, @simplex and @DeathDisciple would have to bang heads together at some point to try and make it so people can play both at the same time, if so desired. But this is something to be debated as we get close to beta/release.

While we will not take away a players choice of activating other mods while playing HITD, I would strongly suggest not using any mods that add in items,armors and weapons, for balancing reasons but that is of course up to the people playing. 

Edited by kraken121

Thanks for talking the time to explain all of this!

I'm okay with using the items that are nerfed etc in this mod, I don't really use any mods that add items apart from tiny alchemy powers, this one and whenever up and away comes out. What makes me love these three mods is the fact that it adds so much more to explore in the world and I love that sense of being in this massive world to just go around and discover things in.

While I'm going to try and see if I will be able to use these three together without it crashing ( visual glitches on floors shouldn't discourage me too much.) I don't want to take away time from you guys to fix it so it can work with X and Y mod. Since this can get old very fast and bugs are likely to keep cropping up. 

Just keep up the good work and I'll look forward to each update!

Thanks for talking the time to explain all of this!

I'm okay with using the items that are nerfed etc in this mod, I don't really use any mods that add items apart from tiny alchemy powers, this one and whenever up and away comes out. What makes me love these three mods is the fact that it adds so much more to explore in the world and I love that sense of being in this massive world to just go around and discover things in.

While I'm going to try and see if I will be able to use these three together without it crashing ( visual glitches on floors shouldn't discourage me too much.) I don't want to take away time from you guys to fix it so it can work with X and Y mod. Since this can get old very fast and bugs are likely to keep cropping up. 

Just keep up the good work and I'll look forward to each update!

We still have a bunch more planned, so if exploring is what you like, you will be very happy with future updates ;)

Congratulations for the shiny new subforum and badge! You certainly deserve it.

Though in my opinion you should ask @JoeW to move this thread into the subforum.

Thanks!

and yeah, just asked @JoeW in our sub forum ;)

Congrats to you guys!

:grin:

Thanks Debugman18 :)

Cool! The best mod (same with U&A and TAP) I have ever seen now have it's own subforum! Congrats! :D

Because I have more time now, I can test it in any way you want. And maybe do some art (I'm now learning this).

Cool! The best mod (same with U&A and TAP) I have ever seen now have it's own subforum! Congrats! :grin:

Because I have more time now, I can test it in any way you want. And maybe do some art (I'm now learning this).

We are slowly opening up the sub forum so the public can post in there ;)