[MOD] Hero in the Dark (original thread)

I got the shared safe mod and transferred a set or two of ancient gear and still died in that dungeon. I really think there isn't enough new gear to counter-balance the goblins. They are almost unkillable without a thulecite crown for the shield because they are really hard to kite in groups, and they can stunlock you/=.

I got the shared safe mod and transferred a set or two of ancient gear and still died in that dungeon. I really think there isn't enough new gear to counter-balance the goblins. They are almost unkillable without a thulecite crown for the shield because they are really hard to kite in groups, and they can stunlock you/=.

The difficulty is intended. Try to gear up before you go there, and also look at the spoilers for item changes here http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/33476-mod-hero-in-the-dark/ , Thulecite is not the best gear anymore. I will also update that list tonight at some point.

Figure out a strategy that works for you, they can be very overwhelming in large groups. I've completed that dungeon numerous times without even using a armor helmet, so I know it can be done ;)

kraken121 is it ok to adapt the code used for checking mob name against an xp table?

local victim=data.victim

local xp=GLOBAL.FA_MOBXP_TABLE[victim.prefab]
--            print("xp for",victim, xp)
            if(xp)then
                local default=xp.default
                if(xp.tagged)then
                    for k,v in pairs(xp.tagged) do
                        if(victim:HasTag(k))then
                            default=v
                            break
                        end
                    end

end
                inst.components.xplevel:DoDelta(default)
            end

We have an XP system in Puppy Princess but it's basic and just looks at mob tags so a table look up for name and also catch the tagged variants is fantastic.

kraken121 is it ok to adapt the code used for checking mob name against an xp table?

We have an XP system in Puppy Princess but it's basic and just looks at mob tags so a table look up for name and also catch the tagged variants is fantastic.

We have not put the licencing 'paperwork', something we'd have to do eventually. But as far as mod code is concerned, I would consider the code under GNU General Public License (if it can apply) or one of the derivatives, tbh I can't say I read through if/what licensing restrictions Klei might have imposed.

Either way, short answer is, yes you can reuse the code.

• Like 1

@kraken121

How do you do your dungeons?  Are they a bunch of setpieces put together, or are they randomly generated and you just put walls around them?  Thanks.

During world gen, it picks from a large list of set pieces. The walls are part of the set pieces. 

Not sure if this is intended or not but the goblins do not fall asleep from the amulet effect when it resurrects you. They just instantly kill you again after the animation is done.

Oh, that is definitely not intended ;)

I will make the adjustments and put it in the next patch for our mod. Thanks for letting us know.

I just tried my first goblin dungeon today and got killed by a fire staff thingy. I guess it does like a bunch of damage since i had log armor and full hp but probably my fault for going up and whacking it. I didn't get to see much but Im loving the dungeon. Finding the animal pin with all of them inside it and then seeing traps with chests in the middle etc If I could give feed back the only thing I think is a bit over kill is the amount of goblins that spawn from the huts (I'm guessing that's their spawn object). Going in for the first time I got swarmed by like 4 of them and with the punishment they can take from a hambat it seems kinda overkil. I don't mind them being so tough but maybe tweak it where the huts spawn less of them or spread them out a bit more. The other thing that I found a bit of a problem was the lack of light restoring items in there. Unless you go in a cave and get 2 stacks of light bulbs (this might be what you guys what) you run out of light quickly. Maybe put fireflies inside the cave or make some unique goblin plant to help out with the miners hat. Hope I didn't write too much!

• Like 1

Yeah, I actually mentioned the number of mobs in certain rooms before :) we might need to tone the number of huts down in certain places, due to the group aggro they can really be an overkill.

We probably should put more light bulb plants around, there are a bunch around entrance of 2nd+ level and there are some rooms with them. But yeah, should probably add more random in between rooms. You're supposed to need light source in there, but it's not supposed to be micromanagement problem.

Now back to your first point that I have avoided so far, we have changed the combat system. Basically we have put the orthodox resistances/damage types instead of everything being 'one damage type'. The damage you got from staves is pure fire damage, it goes through log suit since... how is log supposed to protect you from fire? There aren't many mobs that actually do elemental damage so far, there will be more, but staves are one of those. So you took full damage as if you were naked.

There are/will be armors and items with resistance modifiers against those. They might or might not be obvious tho, but in this case there is one thing I can suggest - you might notice certain mobs dropping new items right? One of those is (or are) multiple versions of fire armor, that block out most of the fire damage you take - those should make running through the fireball staff gauntlets way easier. Or blowing them up if you so prefer. Also, fireballs are kinda slow, you can try to dodge them (they are not homing onto you, they will also explode when they hit walls or other objects)

And thanks for the feedback, we really appreciate it :)

Hello! I've got some Shadow Knight concepts here. I'd like to know what aspects you want for the finished piece, such as you prefer the horns in the second picture, but like the armor from the third one, etc. I'll be making more of these if you'd like. Let me know what you think and I'll begin coloring some of these!

7Ksv5Yu.jpg
  • Like 1

Ok that makes alot of sense then!. It probably doesn't help though that I play hyper aggressive on everything I see (hit things then look at my hp later). I also noticed the fire armors alot, I usually tried to save those for the dragonfly but I always forgot to use em. I'm looking forward to the future content you guys are going to add!

Ok that makes alot of sense then!. It probably doesn't help though that I play hyper aggressive on everything I see (hit things then look at my hp later). I also noticed the fire armors alot, I usually tried to save those for the dragonfly but I always forgot to use em. I'm looking forward to the future content you guys are going to add!

Thanks for the support!

I will start going more into the combat system of the mod as it progresses and we get more damage types inside the mod, as of right now not many are in. We totally rewrote the combat system in code pretty much. There will be many damage types and certain armors / character spells/ abilities etc that will cause / protest you from them, in this case, fire armor has a high resistance to FIRE dmg.

This goes the same for enemies inside the mod as well. If you are fighting a goblin (that is wearing armor and helm) using a spear, the spear (which is tagged as PHYSICAL damage type) will have to go through the armor and helm before doing damage to the goblin. Now if you cast a spell / do an attack that does lets say ELECTRIC damage, and the armor has no resists to that, it will go through the armor and damage the goblins HP directly. 

Currently in the normal game there are no real different types of dmg except for fire, even the electric damage on the morning star is not really tagged as electric dmg within in the code.(it is tagged as electric (their electric) but it has no bypassing properties, the only purpose it serves is to add damage multiplier) As I said above, we have totally rewritten it, we believe this will open up a lot more strategy and complexity within the mod.

Oh wow, I have been throwing away different weapons in exchange for a ham bat since it has more base damage. Well now i can fix that and hopefully live longer.

I had an idea that may be obvious and you have thought of already but here goes: I think there should be a new meter that shows mana. Mana wouldn't be on the barbarian since he isn't magical. On others like the druid, you could make a staff with endless durability but it used your mana. There would be different staffs, wands, and maybe other things like orbs that float by you. For example, the druid could cast spells like a green energy ball by clicking on an enemy, or right click on the ground and some thorny roots that stop enemies and damage them. Spells that you click at the top also cost mana instead of just cooldowns. You gain mana over time, and you can drink potions and such.

I've had this burning question I've wanted to ask but don't really want to bug you guys too much. Are the custom characters going to be the only ones with the level up feature or is each of the original ones as well going to be able to attend higher powers as well?

Still looking for one or two people for text,

and  we are looking for 1 or 2 testers to test pre-release versions of the mod

Next update is coming soon...

(I just waited 7 weeks for some character art and just got excuses upon excuses, so If you are interested in joining our team, please take the time to consider if you have enough time to contribute, we have put hours and hours into the coding, we are very far ahead "code wise", so please take time to consider joining and not just ask me on a whim. Whether it is art, code, text or play testing, this takes many hours. So please don't waste our time.)

So, no beta for the mod yet? only a select few testers?

Any idea when the mod will be available as a beta?

Nevermind, i feel like an idiot...i commented on the download page a couple of days ago and i tought it was here...plus, you answered my question on that other place lol.

ps. we cant delete our own posts?

Edited by julz1981

Oh wow, I have been throwing away different weapons in exchange for a ham bat since it has more base damage. Well now i can fix that and hopefully live longer.

I had an idea that may be obvious and you have thought of already but here goes: I think there should be a new meter that shows mana. Mana wouldn't be on the barbarian since he isn't magical. On others like the druid, you could make a staff with endless durability but it used your mana. There would be different staffs, wands, and maybe other things like orbs that float by you. For example, the druid could cast spells like a green energy ball by clicking on an enemy, or right click on the ground and some thorny roots that stop enemies and damage them. Spells that you click at the top also cost mana instead of just cooldowns. You gain mana over time, and you can drink potions and such.

During early design of the mod, we discussed this a lot (spell points), but in the end we decided we wanted spells to be strong (take a lot of materials and rare materials to put together. We decided that infinite/increasing resource does not fit the game where everything is finite/decreasing.

As for "skills" like the paladins LoH skill, we decided to put those on long timers for a reason, to make a person not depend on those skills but more for flavor/diversity and balance. Like, the paladin and shadow knight both get three skills and a small spell list, while wizard has a vast spell list (we have more than 20 in code now and more planned) that will require him to use vast amounts of resources to put them together and the wands/books do not last very long. Now on the other hand, we have characters like the barbarian that have almost all passive boosts, one skill, no spells, but as he levels up he gets a lot more powerful by these passive boosts.

Edited by kraken121

I've had this burning question I've wanted to ask but don't really want to bug you guys too much. Are the custom characters going to be the only ones with the level up feature or is each of the original ones as well going to be able to attend higher powers as well?

Currently we have no plans to give the vanilla characters levels, I could put something a little generic in for them, but no skills /spells etc if people ask, but this mod already has 12 characters planned, 3 are in alpha another 3 should be out soon, we are putting the focus of the balance more on the 12 characters we have designed. 

So, no beta for the mod yet? only a select few testers?

Any idea when the mod will be available as a beta?

Nevermind, i feel like an idiot...i commented on the download page a couple of days ago and i tought it was here...plus, you answered my question on that other place lol.

ps. we cant delete our own posts?

just make sure you follow the thread in this forum and the download area to make sure you are up to date with the updates and you will not miss beta when it launches ;)

During early design of the mod, we discussed this a lot (spell points), but in the end we decided we wanted spells to be strong (take a lot of materials and rare materials to put together. We decided that infinite/increasing resource does not fit the game where everything is finite/decreasing.

As for "skills" like the paladins LoH skill, we decided to put those on long timers for a reason, to make a person not depend on those skills but more for flavor/diversity and balance. Like, the paladin and shadow knight both get three skills and a small spell list, while wizard has a fast spell list (we have more than 20 in code now and more planned) that will require him to use vast amounts of resources to put them together and the wands/books do not last very long. Now on the other hand, we have characters like the barbarian that have almost all passive boosts, one skill, no spells, but as he levels up he gets a lot more powerful by these passive boosts.

That makes sense. 

Currently we have no plans to give the vanilla characters levels, I could put something a little generic in for them, but no skills /spells etc if people ask, but this mod already has 12 characters planned, 3 are in alpha another 3 should be out soon, we are putting the focus of the balance more on the 12 characters we have designed. 

Ahh I gotca, makes sense with all the work you guys are putting into your characters.

just make sure you follow the thread in this forum and the download area to make sure you are up to date with the updates and you will not miss beta when it launches ;)

I isntalled and played the mod for about 2hrs today, still didnt try the dungeons yet but i saw goblin, and i have some feedback/bug report to do.

First of, i really like the character concept, levels and goblins... i played the druid and i like her so far.

Goblins are greatly designed, but you should tone down the volume, it's way too loud imo.

Also, new weapons are too small, compared to vanilla weapons.

As for bugs, currently i only found one, but i don't know if it's because of the ''auto catch'' mod or not but, when throwing a boomerang, it disapears when i catch it.

Keep it up, loving it so far!

I isntalled and played the mod for about 2hrs today, still didnt try the dungeons yet but i saw goblin, and i have some feedback/bug report to do.

First of, i really like the character concept, levels and goblins... i played the druid and i like her so far.

Goblins are greatly designed, but you should tone down the volume, it's way too loud imo.

Also, new weapons are too small, compared to vanilla weapons.

As for bugs, currently i only found one, but i don't know if it's because of the ''auto catch'' mod or not but, when throwing a boomerang, it disapears when i catch it.

Keep it up, loving it so far!

In the first page of the thread is a lot of info about the progress of the mod,some of the art (esp for weapons) are just placeholders until we get better art for them.

For the boomerang, yeah its prob the auto-catch mod you are using, we have not touched the code for the boomerang and it was 'updated' in code during the last update for ROG, so most mods for the boomerang or using the boomerang code will not be working.

As for the sound, I will look into it further.